History is Experience

Vida May

Yaya and I have similar experiences of living in the mountains with our children. She had less modern conveniences than I had. I thought it would be fun to compare our stories and that maybe others would have similar stories.

To start with my marriage was a big mistake but I was determined to be a good wife and mother so it lasted over 20 years. Our children were very young when he left us a mountain cabin that was not a good place to be in the winter, and he went up the hill to the service station between San Francisco and Reno where he was a mechanic and tow truck driver. There were rooms for the employees to stay in and when the roads were bad he did not come home.

After a big snowfall, I called the gas company to deliver gas and they could not deliver it because of the snow. 😬 The two kids and I survived because I ripped everything I could out of the woods with my bare hands and heated the broken chunks of wood on tip of the franklin stove. That was not the only adventure but it is a start.

Yaya and I have similar experiences of living in the mountains with our children. She had less modern conveniences than I had. I thought it would be fun to compare our stories and that maybe others would have similar stories.

To start with my marriage was a big mistake but I was determined to be a good wife and mother so it lasted over 20 years. Our children were very young when he left us a mountain cabin that was not a good place to be in the winter, and he went up the hill to the service station between San Francisco and Reno where he was a mechanic and tow truck driver. There were rooms for the employees to stay in and when the roads were bad he did not come home.

After a big snowfall, I called the gas company to deliver gas and they could not deliver it because of the snow. 😬 The two kids and I survived because I ripped everything I could out of the woods with my bare hands and heated the broken chunks of wood on tip of the franklin stove. That was not the only adventure but it is a start.
I thought I went through some hard times (survival) but You had an even rougher time!
You never know how much strength is inside you until it's tested.
The "protective Mother" takes over and you'll do anything to keep your children safe!
You should be extremely proud of the character you 've developed from these hardships.

I didn't notice you posted and I am glad you did because I want to talk about how honest that experience felt. Mother nature doesn't care if we live or die. She is pretty liberal you know, except when it comes to survival, you have to do things her way. Not that she punishes anyone but if you don't do things right, the consequences won't be good.

For me, that relationship with mother nature was so honest. Unlike city life and dealing with people who may or may not be so honest.

I am glad people are interested. Can you share your child-rearing experience? Or share wilderness experiences?

I grew up in LA California and I don't think city living is good for human beings. I think our souls really need to connect with nature.

I was glad when my X decided to move the family closer to a city. For several years we had a mobile home set up where an old farmhouse had burned down. Our children grew up on the farm but the land was rented out to a farmer. That still left us a lot of land and an old chicken coop full of manure that was great for a garden. I learned to garden and can in a place where all the women did that. And oh my, the annual fair was so much fun!

How many of you participated in an old-fashioned fair where people enter their produce, cooking, clothing, animals, ect and get ribbons? Oh, that was heaven. It made a person officially part of the community. Everyone could participate, even the children.

Back