Holiday Eves

In our Polish Catholic church (not sure if this was norm in all Catholic churches) there would be a Blessing of the Food on Holy Saturday...day before Easter. People would bring a basket, representing the foods in their Easter meal, and the Priest would bless the meal. When I was a kid, I would bring our basket every year (the church was just down the street from our house) and I did enjoy the process.

In our Polish Catholic church (not sure if this was norm in all Catholic churches) there would be a Blessing of the Food on Holy Saturday...day before Easter. People would bring a basket, representing the foods in their Easter meal, and the Priest would bless the meal. When I was a kid, I would bring our basket every year (the church was just down the street from our house) and I did enjoy the process.
I wasn't Polish but lived in a Polish neighborhood and went to the Polish Catholic church with my friends (when Fr. Frank wasn't reminding me that I was at the "wrong" church and needed to be going to St. Ambrose instead of St. Michael's). Holy Saturday was the day we took our Easter eggs in a basket to be blessed. I don't remember that we took anything else.

LOL, PVC. Maybe Thanksgiving Eve will become a thing. The Black Friday sales start at least a week ahead of the day after Thanksgiving. It used to be fun to shop on Black Friday. Now it's just ho-hum, that stuff has been on sale all week long.

Back