Holy Crap I Saw the Video

fureverywhere

beloved friend who will always be with us in spiri
I just heard this on the news a few minutes ago but hear it went viral yesterday. WHAT on earth was that sorry butt ************* idiot thinking? I mean when I heard the report...belligerant student blahblahblah. Okay wait a second here. I've had some teaching experience and had teens of my own. Teenagers can be the most hateful creatures you'll ever have to deal with I'm not proud of it but my middle girl at 16 pushed so very many buttons one night that I totally would have given her a well deserved beating. Fortunately someone stopped me and that's totally not my nature anyways.

But as a teacher or law enforcement in schools you try every avenue for discipline except being physical. You can restrain a student who is a threat to themselves or others or is outright trying to attack you. But my G-d that video...there's another clip of this baboon doing serious weight lifting. The student is female and appears rather slightly built. If you can't bear to watch the video...he picks up her sitting at her desk and flings both of them. Roid rage much? I hope they nail this guy so hard he won't even be able to be a supermarket bagger when they're done.

I saw that on the news too, this happens far too often. This cop is said to have done similar things in the past, only not video taped previously. I'm glad these things are finally coming to light through the use of videos, that's the only way justice will be served.

A defiant teenage girl, refusing to put away her cell phone or leave the classroom. Let's just call in "America's Finest" and have her body-slammed to the floor unnecessarily, she's lucky she wasn't shot and killed by this hothead. If this cop cannot control a teenage girl, at most with the use of handcuffs, then he needs to ask for another cop to assist, and give half his paycheck to him afterward, for controlling the situation without escalating it, and without senselessly battering a citizen. Amazing! :rolleyes:

I came to this late. Was watching it being covered on tonight's news a day later. I watched for at least fifteen minutes before I found out she was a girl and black. This was CNN too. These stories are being handled with extreme care. Law enforcement across the country is blaming them for an increase in crime, and I can see that being a problem. The cops are hesitant to risk law suits and dismissal, and the criminals and just plain rowdies are encouraged to push the limits. No. I am not defending this cop. The video shows quite obviously he was way over the top. Incidentally, that was not the clip that CNN showed. Theirs made it hard to determine what was going on.

What's sad is on another site the usual arch conservatives are stepping up to bat defending the officer. From their perspective you have these defiant children, some of them larger than the adults they're threatening. Of course we try the logic that this child was neither threatening nor big...she looks very slight actually...these people have their fingers in their ears. Even a child cursing in your face doesn't excuse tossing them like a bowling ball.

That's what teens do. Adults have to behave better than teens.

I can't understand why a school has a police officer enforcing discipline.
I would have ordered him out of the class room.
If he wouldn't go I'd have dismissed the class.

But have you taught in some of these tough schools? My son left teaching high school because of the lack of parental and administrative support when it came to disruptive students. This was in the day when there were no officers in schools. It seems that officers have been the "solution" to a problem with no solution...

There is no defense for the officer's behavior but you can believe she was provoking him...

No... that "other angle" where it supposedly showed her "punching" the cop showed that he already had her halfway to the floor when her left arm flew up to his shoulder. That could have been a reflex..

As for here "provoking him?" I don't care what she may have said to him.. it certainly didn't warrant that type of response.. My GOD!! He literally threw her across the room!

BUT... I guess that's ok because according to some news reports he can't be racist because he is dating a Black woman... My guess is he beats the hell out of her too.

But have you taught in some of these tough schools? My son left teaching high school because of the lack of parental and administrative support when it came to disruptive students. This was in the day when there were no officers in schools. It seems that officers have been the "solution" to a problem with no solution...

Are you saying that that is the way tough kids... should be treated?

Somehow it simply doesn't surprise me that there are people who would come out in defense of this moron's actions. Really.. black or white or purple.. this was a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL!... Yes she was being a snot.. and refused to give up her phone. According to the witness, her only crime was looking at her phone during class.. Of course kids seldom do THAT... right?

Tough? She was bored in a maths lesson and was playing with her phone.
Then she refused to surrender it.
Defiance is not the same as acting tough.

The teacher could have defused it by other means.

I have taught in a school where I had to control the class by the power of my glare to stop them from escaping through the window.
They were defying me because I said they weren't being dismissed until they were quiet.
Hard to handle? Yes.
Tough? Not really but then none of them carried weapons other than the occasional raw egg.

Yes, the schools have dramatically changed when it comes to controlling behavior. Efforts have been made with universal techniques such as Behavior Management, Reality Therapy, and recently Conflict Resolution to no avail because everyone had tp participate. This meant students, administors, and parents had to attend training sessions. It has never worked for obvious reasons...

Getting parents to attend in the inner city, and men to attend in the suburbs, administrators to take time away from budgets and bus schedules. These are Just some of the insurmountable problems...

I see.... so it's not that Black kids are so much less controllable than White kids... or that their parents ( usually just a mother because there usually isn't a father present) just don't give a crap and refuse to be involved.. I would hate to think there was any stereotyping going on.

An educational guru on behavior once told me that if I could come up with a technique to save the lower class to let him know and we could make a fortune. I haven't been able to do it and neither has anyone else. It is not stereotyping, it is just a reality, and the same goes for the middle class, especially the men and school officials...

Millions have been thrown on every kind of program imaginable and not much has changed. Money is not the answer, responsible parenting is, but no one knows how to make it happen...

That's what teens do. Adults have to behave better than teens.

I can't understand why a school has a police officer enforcing discipline.
I would have ordered him out of the class room.
If he wouldn't go I'd have dismissed the class.

Warri, they’re called School Resource Officers (SRO) and friends who are/(were) teachers tell me they are hired to enforce discipline and crime prevention. They are even on school staff in upscale suburbs. It’s my understanding that Canada also has SROs.

I assume this officer was called in by the teacher.

Back