Hotels

The last time I stayed in a motel they mistakenly gave me a smoking room. I opened the door and the stench of X number of years of smoking in it damn near floored me and I used to smoke. I went back and got a nonsmoking room.

Yeah, I agree 100%. Most of the better hotels don’t offer smoking rooms and it’s in their rules that if you smoke in the room, they will charge your credit card xxx hundreds of dollars. They make you sign an agreement at check-in not to smoke and if you do they will charge your credit card.

I remember my first morning there. It was a beautiful day and the hotel was just as beautiful. When we went to breakfast for the first time, I strolled up to the buffet and looked over all of the items. I wasn’t completely sure what some of the items were, so I asked the hostess if she would tell me what all the items were. When we came to the fish, she said, “Fish.” I asked her, “For breakfast?” She told me that it was common to have it for breakfast. I also questioned the beans and she smiled and told me to try them, so I did. They were good.

We also ate dinner there. For the first night, I had the Fish and Chips. Second night, a steak. All of the food was excellent. The wine was served chilled, just the way I like it and the lodging room was absolutely more than I had expected. The folks at the hotel couldn’t have treated us better. I think my final bill for the five nights was around 3 grand or so and worth every penny.

I would like to go back, but my wife said we were going somewhere else. We traveled quite a bit since my retirement. My wife is a retired nurse and she studied in France during her senior year in college, so we had to go there, of course. I wasn’t comfortable over there, but I did enjoy my trip to Normandy. At that time, there was no translator app, so I carried a pocket translator, which worked out OK.

I would still like to return to the U.K. The small villages outside of London really caught my eye. People are very friendly and willing to speak with you. One lady even invited us to stay for dinner. I asked her what was she having and she said Lamb. Uh, no thanks.
Well I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit here... I hope you return. I've been to France many times as you can imagine..being as it's so close..

I live in a village on the edge of a small market town, just outside London..if you look at the photo thread.. you'll see some pics I took of my neighbourhood yesterday afternoon... but if you want to see some really beautiful chocolate box villages.. then you would do a lot worse to go to the Cotswolds..

Last week when I was in Key West, my wife and I also took our daughter and grandson along. Up until I was 50 y/o, I would occasionally dive off a boat. I was not a “deep” sea diver or a cave diver. My grandson saw all of the dive shops down there and said that he would like to try that someday. My daughter told him to “Ask your grandpa to take. He used to dive.”

Long story short, here I was on a boat. I hadn’t dived in years, but hey, how hard can it be to do it again? Like the old saying goes, “Once you ride a bicycle, you never forget.” We both rented our suits and equipment. My grandson did a really good job. I was really surprised at well he did. Me, OTOH, I kind of just went down about 30 feet and then came back up. I did that 2 or 3 times and I had enough. I was never really into diving anyway, but it was fun. I did enjoy looking at the many different fishes.

Well I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit here... I hope you return. I've been to France many times as you can imagine..being as it's so close..

I live in a village on the edge of a small market town, just outside London..if you look at the photo thread.. you'll see some pics I took of my neighbourhood yesterday afternoon... but if you want to see some really beautiful chocolate box villages.. then you would do a lot worse to go to the Cotswolds..

I saw your pictures and did reply. Did you ever see the movie “An American Werewolf In London”? It starts out with 2 American college boys walking out on the moors. That looked interesting to me. I think I would enjoy walking out on the moors if the weather permitted. Then, stop at a pub and shoot some darts with the locals while sipping on a Guinness.

I saw your pictures and did reply. Did you ever see the movie “An American Werewolf In London”? It starts out with 2 American college boys walking out on the moors. That looked interesting to me. I think I would enjoy walking out on the moors if the weather permitted. Then, stop at a pub and shoot some darts with the locals while sipping on a Guinness.
Yes I saw it when it was first released and watched it a couple of times since. The action too place in Yorkshire (north of England) ..some beautiful places in Yorkshire.. ..I have to tell you there's not many pubs who have dart boards these days!

Back