House Plants

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I used to keep house plants but got rid of them because of fear of the birds eating them and getting sick or worse. So now since having birds for over 17 years who have never touched them I started raising them again for the past several years. I like these 2 a lot. They are Pothos or Devil's Ivy:

Ok5APO4.jpg

oky7U7B.jpg

I need to trim them a bit but I think they are so beautiful and doing so well. The larger one has 2 of my birdies who passed buried in it. Life has come from death!:love_heart:

You can grow the trimmings in plain water. Propagating houseplants is a fun hobby.

Thanks and yes I have done that many times and at one time had about 100 plants in my old apt. I gave them all away! I felt everyone needed one or two! :) I grew the first one in the first photo from a cutting I had in a glass, too.

Nice healthy plants,Ruthanne. I always had house plants and never had a problem with my birds eating them or my cats. For awhile I raised nothing but cactus. They are slow growers and can stand abuse. I even got some to bloom.

I had a snake plant that bloomed also. People said it was rare.

These days I don't have any because sometimes we stay at my daughters for a week or two. My son takes care of the bird but I don't want him to have to worry about plants also.

I also have lots of house plants and pets, but I keep the plants in a different room, just in case. I recently moved a yucca plant in with the birds, and the parakeet has been chewing it, but it doesn't seem to have done it any harm. Some plants are definitely poisonous and I wouldn't risk putting them where they might be eaten.

Nice healthy plants,Ruthanne. I always had house plants and never had a problem with my birds eating them or my cats. For awhile I raised nothing but cactus. They are slow growers and can stand abuse. I even got some to bloom.

I had a snake plant that bloomed also. People said it was rare.

These days I don't have any because sometimes we stay at my daughters for a week or two. My son takes care of the bird but I don't want him to have to worry about plants also.
Yes, I understand. I may get some cacti..I love them!

I also have lots of house plants and pets, but I keep the plants in a different room, just in case. I recently moved a yucca plant in with the birds, and the parakeet has been chewing it, but it doesn't seem to have done it any harm. Some plants are definitely poisonous and I wouldn't risk putting them where they might be eaten.
My birds don't leave their cage that much even though it is open. When they come out to fly they just shoot around the room real fast and go back inside their house (cage). They have never done anything else so I don't worry. :)

I have two indoor plants, not because of a lack of space but because of a lack of horticultural ability. One is a pothos that is nearly 3 years old (a record!) and continues to look healthy. The other is an orchid that's less than 6 weeks old (a gift by a well-meaning but slightly delusional friend who seriously overestimated me). This poor orchid is already starting to show signs of heading for the exit even though I'm only watering it a single measuring teaspoon of water per week.

I have two indoor plants, not because of a lack of space but because of a lack of horticultural ability. One is a pothos that is nearly 3 years old (a record!) and continues to look healthy. The other is an orchid that's less than 6 weeks old (a gift by a well-meaning but slightly delusional friend who seriously overestimated me). This poor orchid is already starting to show signs of heading for the exit even though I'm only watering it a single measuring teaspoon of water per week.
How do you know it only requires a t of water? Orchids are so pretty. :)

I have two pots of Pothos and an elderly Christmas cactus that hasn't bloomed in over ten years.

I wish I knew how to restore the youthful vigor and zest for life to the old cactus it used to be covered with blooms every year around Thanksgiving.

That's what I've been told to do by the more plant savvy folks. They say that orchids don't do well with too much water. I actually think it has nothing to do with water - I believe it's personal.
That's funny! :)

Back