Household repair scams

jerry old

Texas Crude
I've been fixing things all my life....and I dread the day when/if I have to call a "professional" for every little failure. Plumbing, electrical, even automobile maintenance requires people who are honest and have the proper skills....good luck with that. Even if a person has to have someone else do the repairs, it is wise to research the problem ahead of time, and watch them while they work to make sure that they know what they are doing. Women, or men with little or no fixing skills, are especially susceptible to the scams and overcharges that run rampant in the repair business. Perhaps the most helpful source of information, in recent years, is the number of UTube videos which show various problems and the proper way to fix them....a few minutes of viewing UTube videos can save a "novice" huge sums of money.

2 of my sons have become good with house repairs..I can rely on them and supervise over their shoulder..

Scammers in the home renovation industry frequently demand upfront payment. Some just take your money and vanish. Others will perform subpar work or make false claims that they have found a hidden issue in your home that requires quick repair and will greatly increase the cost (a dishonest variation of the sales tactic known as upselling).

Back