Houseplants for the Winter ?

Kaila

SF VIP
Amarillis?
There are so many varieties with colorful and cheerful types of blooms, on fast-growing, easy plants.

Do you have any of those, Or any other types that you enjoy, especially during the cold, indoor time of year?

I have 2 new Amarillis bulbs, to watch grow, this winter.
One of the 2 has just started its bud stalk, with only the tip coming up.

I haven't put them into pots with soil, yet. They are being very patient!☺️

Amaryllis is a beautiful flowering plant. I have always had plants year around, but never had one of those.
Most others, but I should try one.😊

We have 'downstairs plants', but at the 'puter there's a Monstera Deliciosa...........doesn't cause a fuss, and, (as one has done elsewhere), it should/might eventually touch the ceiling.

We have 'downstairs plants', but at the 'puter there's a Monstera Deliciosa...........doesn't cause a fuss, and, (as one has done elsewhere), it should/might eventually touch the ceiling.
That's a great plant!
And has the potential to give you some shade from the hot sun, there at your computer!:cool::LOL:

I purchased an amaryllis last year. It came with wax on the bulb covered in a Rudolph stocking. I had several booms and kept growing. I put it outside in the spring and it grew all summer. I eventually planted in the ground and its alive.

My husband got me an amaryllis for my birthday, already potted. It said to put it in an east/west window and water it slightly with warm water. It's been three weeks now and nothing yet.

This exactly from Brecks. Do you think I should take that dry straw-like stuff off the top?

My husband got me an amaryllis for my birthday, already potted. It said to put it in an east/west window and water it slightly with warm water. It's been three weeks now and nothing yet.

This exactly from Brecks. Do you think I should take that dry straw-like stuff off the top?

Can you bottom water it?

Also, if there is any cool draft from the window, it's better off away from window.
I don't think the straw matters, either way, but I would remove it.

Definitely do not over-water it, @Della
especially before it shows some top growth coming up from the bulb(s) ....

And don't give up on it, of course!:oops::LOL::giggle:

It is probably just slow to wake up, or just is not ready yet, to leave dormancy and re-enter the world.;)
Some of the Amarillis bulbs do take their time, but still do great, once they start! Let us know!

Thanks to you guys for encouraging me to be patient! My candy cane amaryllis is now 30 inches tall, has four stalks and 16 gigantic blooms. I really wish I had a cell phone so I could take a picture of it. I just re-read the online instructions and it says I can take it out of its east/west window now, so I'm going to put it in the center of the dining room table -- we call that "the place of honor."

Wow, that is great to hear about that, @Della !
It surpassed even my expectations and hopes for it!☺️🤩🥳

And proves that my wild guess was correct; that it is always worth waiting for an Amaryllis bulb, that is delayed in starting! o_O:oops::rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back