How can I try is before I buy it?

A suggestion: Go there to check it out when the weather is not good, when the place is at it's worst. People come here in the Spring when everything is blooming and so beautiful. They buy and when winter hits hard, they find they are STUCK unable to drive down the mountains or get around. Then they regret it.

Thank you for all the ideas. At the risk of sounding fickle, the truth is we are not sure what we want. We do know we don't like what we have now. Its hard to put my finger on it. We have felt restless for over a year now.

I originally said we don't want a retirement community, HOA etc. Maybe I should step back and say what we are looking for.

- More land between us and our neighbors. (most retirement communities I have seen have small lots) At least a couple acres?
- Somewhere I won't be hearing the roar of traffic from nearby highways
- Somewhere I don't have to look over my shoulder to see what the city is trying to do to me next. Zero lot line subdivisions, taxes,.....
- A place I can have a shop to work on cars, computers, woodworking, etc.
- A place far enough away from big cities, so I won't have to deal with the craziness that goes on there. And the crime that spills over

All this leads me to think I am looking for a small town, but maybe there is something else out there I am not thinking of. I realize it will cost more to live in a place like this. It goes with the territory.

Thank you for all the ideas. At the risk of sounding fickle, the truth is we are not sure what we want. We do know we don't like what we have now. Its hard to put my finger on it. We have felt restless for over a year now.

I originally said we don't want a retirement community, HOA etc. Maybe I should step back and say what we are looking for.

- More land between us and our neighbors. (most retirement communities I have seen have small lots) At least a couple acres?
- Somewhere I won't be hearing the roar of traffic from nearby highways
- Somewhere I don't have to look over my shoulder to see what the city is trying to do to me next. Zero lot line subdivisions, taxes,.....
- A place I can have a shop to work on cars, computers, woodworking, etc.
- A place far enough away from big cities, so I won't have to deal with the craziness that goes on there. And the crime that spills over

All this leads me to think I am looking for a small town, but maybe there is something else out there I am not thinking of. I realize it will cost more to live in a place like this. It goes with the territory.
Generally speaking in a small town the plot sizes will not be laid out in terms of acres. But maybe you could find property close to a small town. One of the things to do is do a search argument online for houses/property for sale in a given area. Real estate ads will pop up. Look to see how much things are going for and remember the listed price is their dream price. You could do that in all kinds of areas. And of course one thing to consider is how much the property taxes are. Where I am the property taxes are fairly low. Some places they are outrageous.

Tennessee is a beautiful state. Living in a 1-horse town with acreage and no near neighbors sounds good to me. I wouldn’t go too far out. Stay within proximity to an area with conveniences (restaurant, bank, store) and a hospital. I would say maybe within 15 miles.

I am considering something similar.

I'm 14 miles from a town of one thousand, 2 miles from a town of 150, 25 miles from a town of 10,000 and 37miles from a town of 30 thousand. The main issue here is the lack of good health care. But it's well worth it.

Back