How Has COVID-19 Affected Your Life (Personally)?

Not a lot, except for not seeing our children and grandchildren. I'm a homebody anyway so I don't miss going shopping or whatever. I have been having groceries delivered for a couple of years now so that isn't any different... except for the few times things weren't available. Of course our investments are down but that hasn't impacted our daily lives.

I spend more time worrying, even though I have tried not to.
I spend a lot more time, trying to figure out how to get some simple item, or how to make do without it, and without a replacement item.
I have had to do without basic usual foods..... I have stretched out everything way more than ever.....

In the beginning as I've adjusted to wearing a mask,would go visit my "Bflo family'close friends,Marcia&Dave{they live 2 blocks away from my apt} for our weekly Sat chats. I had to remind myself I couldn't hug them
As the months go by,we don't do our weekly chats,keep connected by email/phone Once in awhile on my afternoon walks,I'll stop by just to say hi
I can't visit my brother and his family,since the beginning of May we've been doing weekly Sun 'zoom meetings'.It boosts my spirits to see them,don't know when I'll see them in person again

We visited my nephew and his wife yesterday afternoon. They both work from home, and live outside a town out in the country. We social distanced on their patio deck, and wore our masks. It felt good to get together with them. I think it will be quite some time before we're comfortable socializing with more than two people at a time.

What others have listed, plus I'm really starting to miss our RV trips and other vacations.

I'm worrying about how this will affect my daughter, SIL and two grands. Both are teachers. One child's going into 3rd grade, the other is about to start Kindergarten. The schedules being floated by their 3 different school systems will make it impossible for both parents to continue working.

I have thankfully only been inconvenienced so far myself. There are some positives, I love working from home and not having to commute into the office even though by bay area standards my commute is a very easy commute. However I prefer the walk from the bedroom to the sitting room to my normal drive.

I miss being able to go somewhere to quickly buy something without having to be concerned to stay as safe and healthy as possible. I also miss being able to do some of the things my wife and I love to do together (go wine tasting, bicycle along the bay in San Francisco or in Monterey, go out to dinner once in a while.) I also miss going to musical performances, museums, galleries and other cultural events.

We've been waiting years to get BART down to our area and it finally opened this month but I think it won't be until at least sometime next year that I'll consider taking BART up to San Francisco or Oakland to see a show or do something else.

However I live in an area where many people are taking the recommended precautions seriously and it's pretty easy to stay safe and healthy. I also live in an area that's enjoyable enough that I can get out enough within my neighborhood to not feel trapped at home. I'm not one who is really into going to the movies, so I don't really miss that.

As a survivor, I am feeling nothing. Something happened to me and I can't even get excited about having the dog around me anymore and that is really odd. I couldn't care less if baseball is played or not and that is odder still. I am totally off kilter here.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been so negatively affected. I hope that you're able to get some of your enthusiasm back sometime soon.

Well, it's made shopping a pain in the a**. I need a new pair of sunglasses. I usually go to TJ Maxx to buy them. So I thought today, do I really want to put a pair of glasses that someone else has tried on, on my face? Um, maybe not. I'll make do. We were in Target to get a specific item. Because they have a special routing in their store for social distancing purposes, we had to walk around the perimeter of the whole dang store to get to what we wanted. Oy. And we are casting about for things to do that are "safe." We would love to travel, but where? Has to be a road trip, right? Cuz airplanes are out. We're not hikers, but I'd love to see Yellowstone. Yeah, me and a bazillion other people, especially now. China has a lot to answer for. Just sayin'.

Not being able to see family and some friends is hard. My niece got a new puppy, and I so want to meet him. Hopefully by Thanksgiving things will be more normal, and I can go out there for a couple days.
I am a homebody, like some others here, but it is still hard.
It is one thing to choose not to go out a lot. Another being told I cannot go out. I am doing more around the house. Reading more. In recent weeks, I have spent less time online, and more outside. I like to sit and read. Plus, have some near neighbors to visit with.

I live alone, and I sometime have felt aloneness in the past, but since March 23 and the lockdown, I have felt loneliness because my children and grandchildren intentionally stayed away.... even still it is rare to see them. As a granny, I usually have grandkids for about half the summer. This year, is will be for just three days. I shop more online for delivery. I watched church services via facebook. I had my first ZOOM session. I was unemployed and eligible for unemployment for the first time in 38 years. I have yet to eat out at a restaurant this year. I planted a larger garden. I enjoyed the flowers more this year because I had more time to work with the flowers. Like everyone else, I found out that the reason my house isn't always immaculate IS NOT because I don't have time.... Even when I have time, I find a bit of clutter on the counters and in the closets.

mlh..... you don't have to stay inside. Go outside.... anywhere outside. Take a walk. The gyms are closed here, so about half the days, I drive to a lake (beach) and swim for about an hour. I only dog paddle, but it helps with feeling trapped at home. I feel safe outside because most places outside are not crowded in this area.

I still go out everywhere and always have during this whole thing, but the financial ramifications are something I fear I will not survive this time. How many times can a person start over in one lifetime? I'm having a harder time with this than I thought I would because I see no end in sight and the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. This is the worst trial I've ever been through because I can control nothing.

I still go out everywhere and always have during this whole thing, but the financial ramifications are something I fear I will not survive this time. How many times can a person start over in one lifetime? I'm having a harder time with this than I thought I would because I see no end in sight and the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. This is the worst trial I've ever been through because I can control nothing.
Are you not retired, Chic?

Back