How long can you keep meat in freezer and still eat it

Marie5656

I found this article about how long we can safely store meat in the freezer . I found it interesting, especially with many folks stocking up during this crisis. I am glad I bout my chest freezer a couple years ago. I have a lot in there.

I have a freezer in the garage....If we have a storm and the lights go out, our have a generator...We had to use it a couple o times....
I mostly use the food in the freezer....And try to stock up....If something that has been in the freezer a long time...I chuck it!!!! especially
ice cream....

It also depends a lot, on how it is packaged and wrapped, and prepped for the freezer.
Yes....I don't keep things in freezer long....Last year we had a party....My freezer was packed....I chucked most of it....Me and hubby
couldn't eat that much food....But I also gave some away.....It was mostly meat....I don't like to let meat in freezer....My husband rather
have fresh meat from the Butcher and eat it that day or the next day....

I think the longest we've kept steaks in the freezer is a year, can't remember for sure. When we buy them we take them out of the store packaging and wrap them heavily in thick saran wrap, then mark the date in marker. They are always good when we decide to defrost them and cook them, usually on a charcoal BBQ, but sometimes we fry them in a hot skillet.

If you keep anything in the freezer for over a year, please toss it. It's not worth the risk. We had some stuff my boss at the supermarket wanted used up in the deli that had been frozen for more than a yr. and he made me cook it and serve it. I didn't know any better at the time. We had several people get sick. Told him I'd never do it again.

Back