How much do you tip your barber or hair stylist?

Usually about £5 and I always do it....... but it's not expected any more these days. Hair dressing is very expensive here . For a wash and trim mine costs £35.00. I know many people who don't tip at all, including my husband

Approx. $5.00, whatever is left from the bills that I hand the young woman.

The price changes each time depending on the promotions they are offering and therefore so does the tip.

I really should take my change and give her a five.

I think that in the shop that I frequent they expect less because when they make change they always give me five ones instead of a five.

I think you are all good tippers. My hair stylist has reasonable prices for seniors so I tip according to what I'm having done but usually 10% of the cost.
If it's not senior's day then everything cost more.

I've been bald a long time so I just buzz cut what's left of mine myself.

Back when I was going to the barber haircuts were $8 bucks and I would pay with a $10 dollar bill and say keep the change.

Last edited:
My barber charges $15 for a regular cut. Seniors pay $12. I give him $15 and no change. At Christmas, I give a extra $10. He rents a chair in a Salon with 3 young lady hairstylists, so after he pays those bills, I’m sure that he is not cleaning up.

When I patrolled up in the mountains of PA, there was an old barber. He told everyone that he was 92. He owned his own one chair shop and charged $2. I let him cut my hair once and my wife had to fix it so that it looked better.

When I took my father in to the barber his hair was bra strap length and the barber had to help him up to the seat. The price was $17 Canadian and I gave $40. This guy went above and beyond what his role called for and my dad has really think hair which looked so much better cut into a man’s hair style.

My place charges seniors $14. I usually give them $5. My hair is very thin and fine, so I keep it short. Does not take them long, but I still want to tip them for theier time. If I treat myself to a shampoo, I will tip a couple dollars more.

Old school male barbers are now rare in my area, although I went to one for 17 years until he died. I now by necessity go to a family style "hair cuttery" place where they are competent and efficient, and I tip $5 (about 25%) for a cut.

My last barber retired in 1968 and my wife has cut my hair since then. At this point i have little left to cut but she still trims whats left and my beard. Wonder how much I've saved over these past 51 years?

I go to an old fashioned 2 chair barbershop, a father & son partnership.... it looks like it's something out of a Norman Rockwell picture. They're owners so I reckon tipping isn't as much a part of their expected income than if they were employees at someone else's shop. Anyway, a cut is $9.00 and I give them a ten but don't wait for change. One dollar isn't even really a tip, is it?

Back