How much time do you spend with grandkids?

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
I love that 6 of my 10 grandkids are in the same town as me.

I spend a lot of time with the 3 youngest of them, my daughter's children...7, 4 and 2. I babysit frequently, take the 5 year old to preschool 3 days a week on my way to work (her mom pics her up) and take various of them for little outings...nothing fancy, but even a trip to the grocery store with Bee (that's my grandma name for this set of grandkids) is a special thing!

My son's girls are 14, 12 and 10. I don't spend quite as much time with them (they have unbelievably busy lives!!) but we have sleepovers several times a year and we girl stuff (hair, makeup, nails, facials etc.) which is always fun. I take them all out to lunch and shopping on each of their birthdays, and they're often over here for family get togethers even when their Dad can't make it. Sometimes we go to movies or other outings.

I visit my oldest son's and DIL'S kids across the country a couple of times a year. They are very gracious and take me on their big vacations...places like Hawaii and such. It's a win/win because I get to spend time with everyone, they get an extra set of hands for 4 kids!! Other times I just fly out there for a few days and visit with them. Disneyland is always part of the visit!

What about you, especially for those of you with grandkids where you live? Do you visit much? Babysit?

Last edited:
I love my grandkids....2 of them are older, but see them often...One going to Nursing School but text me often....They both work...

Usually we get together for Sunday Dinner...when they don't have other commitments...

My other 2 grandkids are in school...I do see them often...They are more than an hour away....

We do keep in touch...Especially now the Season is upon us....Thanksgiving at my home and Christmas Eve at my home this year....

Everyone is busy...working and going to school....I appreciate whenever they call or come over to the house....

I've been very fortunate being near my granddaughter. About a year ago my husband and I bought a house close to my daughter and her family. She has one child who is my precious 8yr old granddaughter that I get to see almost every day. I love being close to them . Until we moved we lived only 2 blocks away from our Son and his family. He has 2 boys that I watched everyday after school and all summer long. Both boys are in college now and living on campus. Between school, girlfriends and part time jobs I don't get to see them as much. So that was part of the reason we moved. Now I get to spend time with my little Princess. They are my husband and my precious hearts.

I spent a lot of time with 3 of them when they were babies and up until they were in their teens. Now I see some of them less often than others due to distance and them getting on with their own lives. We are still close though and communicate regularly. But I have one in another state that I have only seen once in my life and that was for a few days. He has 3 of our great grandchildren I have never seen but we do video chats and see lots of photos on FB. Our youngest grandchild lives in Europe and she's almost 12 now. We have week to a month visits every few years. We talk on the phone, video chats and also photos on Instagram and FB.

both of my grandsons are in their mid 20s and live 2,000 miles away. Haven't seen the youngest for a year, the older one this past summer.

Basically none. My Bride & I moved form the Northeast where kids & family live out to AZ. In the 4 years we've been out here, we've had one visit from family / grandkids. We've been back there a couple times for pretty hectic "Griswold-type" visits.
We had a few "What the _____have we done?" moments & are moving back where we came from as soon as the house sells. While the weather here is beautiful, we might as well be isolated on the far side of the moon as far as family & friends are concerned. The adults are getting up in age - as are we all & have a hard time making a cross country trip.
The kids are totally in to their own lives, friends, etc. The grandkids don't really remember who we are. We don't want to be in the middle of their lives every day, but we learned that this was not the right move for us.

Once or twice a week for maybe an hour. They are only 5 houses down the street but both work and I need to give them their own space.

One grandson lives 15 minutes away, I see him often, plan little outings and watch him the 2 days he's not in camp during summer vacation, he lights up my life in ways I can't describe, he's 7.
My stepson has 2 girls, I am Grandma to both, 17 and 9,I see them several times a year and attend most if not all of their school functions.

Every day! They live behind us. They are always over or we are over there. I love it. They also go on vacations with us to our place in Florida.

Last November we were all at the clubhouse pool. I see my grandson age 4 then, get out of the pool with his swimmies on and maneuver his way over too the outside pool restaurant/bar. I see him point to me and the waitress lifts him up to the barstool and he’s eating. A few minutes later she comes over laughing and said she asked him what his account number was. Said he pointed to me and said, “it’s Paw Paw”. Hilarious.

My son gave me the nickname "Deadbeat Grandad" That should tell you something.
I think I'm the female equivalent. I spend time with the family, but I don't think as much as my kids would like. I tend to do for myself. The babies are beautiful, and I love sitting back and watching them, but that's what I do. I'm not a "hands on" kind of grandma. I'm not a people person.

I’m like you Grammie I love to sit back and watch him but he’s very rambunctious and very physical and I’m kind of the type of person who likes arts and crafts and coloring and Playdoh and he’ll do those things but he just is kind of a little wild child and so we just let him go and do his thing. But I do adore him!

Back