How..No! what does your garden grow?

One home, aeons ago, had a large garden at the back. However the soil wasn't pH on. So, we had someone come and apply products which helped the lawn but in the back garden helped tremendously with fruits and vegetables.

I grew some lilac trees that were there already. Unfortunately, when I found out that cut lilacs in the home is bad luck (and it was, I'll leave at that) I cut them down and did a burning ritual phew!

I grew Pink Lady Tomatoes, Beefeater Tomatoes, Frizzy Lettuce, onions, zucchinis and sugar snap peas and snow peas.

More recently, we tried strawberries but the birds enjoyed them we never did 😆. Then hubby tried his green thumb at growing potatoes, oh gosh so lovely, yummy!

I grow herbs on window seals from time to time. However, no garden space now. Maybe I'll try a tomato bag but I'll definitely add flowering baskets outside front porch once I've got the planned painting done.

I grew some lilac trees that were there already. Unfortunately, when I found out that cut lilacs in the home is bad luck (and it was, I'll leave at that) I cut them down and did a burning ritual phew!
Did you have a lilac "tree" or a lilac bush? I never heard that lilacs in the house were bad luck. We had tons of lilac bushes lining our driveway when I was growing up and my mom cut them and had them in the house all the time. No bad luck! Maybe lilac trees are different. :)

Did you have a lilac "tree" or a lilac bush? I never heard that lilacs in the house were bad luck. We had tons of lilac bushes lining our driveway when I was growing up and my mom cut them and had them in the house all the time. No bad luck! Maybe lilac trees are different. :)
Lilac trees are the three trees I had. They were all of the gorgeous deep purples too. Here's the main superstition I'd found at the time after things began happening.

https://inpurespirit.com/1279/coping-with-unlucky-lilac-in-the-house/

I have not tried to grow any herbs on my own. My dad used to grow horseradish. He made his own. Other than that, I buy from the local farm stands. Living alone, I don't use enough at one time to benefit from growing them. It is a wonderful way to know what you are flavoring your foods with.

Well, we grow lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, onions, carrots, potatoes, beets, corn, squash, and asparagus. Basil, rosemary, oregano, chives, mint. Among fruits, we have strawberries and permanent plantings of raspberries and blueberries, and pear & apple trees. And quite a variety of flowers & decorative foliar plants.

The season for most of these is just recently over. Raised beds are harvested & weeded out, and the ground in the large garden is tilled and soon will be cover cropped. Flowers were flourishing until a couple weeks ago (changing daylight & temps). Can't take any lush pictures today, but will maybe dig some out of the archive & post.

Last edited:
Wee garden is currently a concrete jungle. Planning to add flower hanging pots, maybe once exterior painting done. Uncertainty as Autumn's upon us. Next year I guess 🐱

Back