How Old Are Your TVs?

fmdog44

I have a Philips that is 8 years old and still ticking but I wonder what is the average life expectancy of today's TVs?

Bought a Vizio flat screen TV for the bedroom a couple years ago, but fully expect it to die before the 52" Sony in the living room that is about 15 years old.:)

We have recently upgraded, so they aren't very old. We did have a 50" Sony in the den that was at least 12-13 years old and working fine. We gave it to our niece and it's still humming along.

Our TV's are Ancient! We have an old Sanyo 21" CRT that we bought 20+ years ago, when we still lived in the city. It still works, and my wife keeps it in her sewing/hobby room. Our main TV is a Panasonic 46" plasma that we bought well over 15 years ago....and it's still working good. What amazes me is the price drop on TV's over the past decade....I could probably buy 4 new 46" TV's for what we paid in 2004.

my tv is a year old , and the remote s terrible, have you ever known one,that you have to screw the batteries in....... just thinking now , which window to throw it out of ....grrrrrr

Ours is one month old
It's an LG...due to the reviews and ratings
Bought it right after moving from the cabin into town

It better last awhile

The new digital TVs should last a long time. Which is a good thing since most are virtually unrepairable.

Charry -- Have you looked into getting a universal remote? I have seen remotes that require a tiny phillips screwdriver to open

Don

Anyone know you can calibrate your TV or have it calibrated by a professional? I just read about it a few hour ago. I had my 8 year old Philips go black on me last night and it turns out it was a glitch in the Direct TV remote. So it got me to reading about TVs. One thing I read that may b helpful is different mfgs. have different names for the same thing. Black Level is Brightness Control. White Level is Contrast or Picture. Sharpness is Detail. Color Saturation is Color or Chroma. Tint is Hue.

I have a 3 y.o. Samsung 48" in the livingroom that I got as a birthday present. Have an Insignia 40" in the bedroom that I won in a raffle at the car shop. I only use the living room tv although the other one works fine too. I have no idea how long these flat screens last.

It's time for me to buy a new TV. Mine is black & white, has no remote & the picture only works when I stand in a certain spot in the room, holding a coat hanger. And most of the time, the picture is an Indian.

Well....OK, that's not really true. It's a Sony Bravia that I got 10 years ago.

This is an interesting question because these days, nothing is intended to last long, so the quality tends to be poor. I have three digital tvs plus an old analogue one which I keep because it plays videos. They all seem rather 'tacky', and not built to last. The large one in my lounge is about 6 years old...the others are about 3 years. One is being used as a computer monitor because the picture quality is poor.

Back