How to concentrate when retirement is just around the corner????

TICA

My official retirement date is June 1, 2013 but I have to use up some accumulated vacation so my actual last day of work will be around April 26th. I've filled out my retirement documentation and verified this morning that all of the paperwork is in order.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time and although I'll miss my co-workers, I never lose touch with the people who have become friends over the years so I'm not worried about being "out of touch". I'm really excited to get on with all of my plans so I'm not worried about being bored.

So..... here is my problem: I have about 2 months of work left, take off the statutory holidays, a week of vacation booked for early March and in reality, I only have 33 days of work left.

I'm having such a tough time concentrating on my work! I have a huge project that I really need to finish off and here I find myself on the Senior's forum asking for advice on how to get it together and concentrate on the work. I do want to finish off the work I have on my desk and am not the type to just ignore it all because I won't be around to see the consequences.

For any of you who have gone through this, please give me some hints!!!! Seriously, I just can't concentrate on the work.

Thanks in advance...

Not knowing the situation at work I'm thinking that someone will be replacing you when you retire. If you can work with that person it will help them prepare and working together will help you focus on the job.

Good Luck

It's natural to be preoccupied with thinking about nearing retirement, nothing wrong with that. You just have to have a talk with yourself, and know that you'll feel good by finishing your project, and be remembered in a positive way by your coworkers. Also, if you're rushing at the end you'll be stressed, and if you leave things up in the air, you'll feel bummed out...for a loooong time.

Get just as excited about finishing your work and doing a good job. You know deep down that you will have plenty of time to bask in the glow of retirement soon enough. Remember that this will be the last task you'll need to manage, give it your best...get into it!

Keep your mind open, take a deep breath, look at the 'big picture'...and do now what you know you need to do, to feel satisfied and content with work when the big day comes. I guarantee, taking care of business now will be worth it...focus! ;) Maybe you could hum that old rock-n-roll song in your mind, "Taking Care of Business" by BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive) :p :jammin:

Great advice from Seabreeze.

On the more comic side, I think this is a question for the "exercise restraint" thread, but in a different vein that the original question:playful:

You know 33 days will be here in five minutes:eek:nthego:

Keep your eyes between the ears, don't lose your seat, stay on the bit, and stay focused:bananalama:

After you've won and walked out the door with your WGC Retirement Trophy, go home and give yourself something to drink in a big container, followed by a victory bath during which it is required you run all the hot water out of the tank:pepper::pepper:

Great advice from all of you! I'm trying to get focused and have made myself a goal for everyday. If I manage to accomplish those goals, I'll be ahead of the game. I think I'm also going to try and do some work on the weekends when the phone isn't ringing and I can concentrate a bit more. I work from home so that isn't a huge problem. No one will be replacing me so that makes it more important that I finish everything on my desk.

Thanks for your help. It is good to know that someone understands the transition from working every day to dreaming about the fun things ahead!!

Ohhh yeah! I spent my last month or so just daydreaming about the day I wouldn't have to drive to work in the morning darkness on icy roads and punch that timeclock. I just had to do my normal routine things everyday, like operating machinery, forklift driving, loading trucks, etc. So once I clocked out, that was it for finishing my work.

Good idea to stay ahead of the game, the last thing you want is to spoil the moment with stress (or guilt). :)

Hmmm, but if no one is replacing you then why do you think these projects are so important? I could understand if you were an independant consultant, then you would have to finish the project to get paid. I also understand I would likely work the same way because I always try to do quality work and finish the job properly. Is that it?

The projects are things that will help the organization for years to come as far as being more efficient in the way the work is done. Because I'm not being replaced, I'm developing tools for the managers/clients that will enable them to pick the best options. I'm sure I'm not making any sense at all, but the bottom line is that I'm trying to lower the amount of time required to accomplish the end result. Also, I have worked for well over 30 years and would like to think that my work has been of high quality so I want to make sure it ends that way too. I've been approached about consulting for various organizations and may do that in a year or two, but for the first year, I just want to bask in idleness and play with my ponies and dogs. A childhood fantasy come true!

I've been approached about consulting for various organizations and may do that in a year or two, but for the first year, I just want to bask in idleness and play with my ponies and dogs. A childhood fantasy come true!

That fantasy sounds wonderful! You've worked hard all your life, my advice is that you keep that fantasy alive permanently, not just for a year or two. You not only deserve and will benefit from it mentally and physically, but your ponies and dogs will too! :love_heart:

Back