How to cut tree branches and get rid of Boston Ivy

I went out this morning with my pruning shears and cut the vines near the ground where I saw the stems coming up. Now, what to do with the dead vines sticking on the house. It's a tangle of wisteria and Boston ivy. They will probably grow back next summer anyway.

Pour boiling hot water on their roots.
Then pour vinegar over them with some salt and a few drops of dish soap. If you don’t get the roots first then all the work of trying to get them off your house will be wasted.

The stems are all along that side of the house - that would be a lot of boiling water and salt to put on them.
That’s right but it’s the cheapest and the safest way. Getting out and doing all that pruning would be good exercise to though. What I’d do if i were you is prune them right down if you don’t want them and as you do each section pour boiling water on them.
You might not get the entire side done this season but you can continue next spring.

When you use salt, it's not the table kind of salt, get the rock salt. If you spread the salt now, with all the winter rain and such coming, the roots might be dead or almost dead by spring. Just get some rock salt and spread them along the root area and see how that works.

When you use salt, it's not the table kind of salt, get the rock salt. If you spread the salt now, with all the winter rain and such coming, the roots might be dead or almost dead by spring. Just get some rock salt and spread them along the root area and see how that works.
Even better idea. 👍

Back