How to live to be 100+

One of the major interesting concepts in the TED Talk article was that longevity was only about 10% attributable to genetics, with 90% being one's lifestyle.
I think I saw on ourworldindata.com (or maybe .org) life expectancy is dipping. It's gradually gone down about 4 years in the past decade. I think that's a good indicator that the environment effects how long we live...and that includes what we eat.

When I was growing up my Mom would often say if she lived to be 70 to "hit me over the head with a board and put me out of my misery!" When she was in her 70s I brought up to her that someone had said this, and she replied "what !@#x fool said something crazy like that!????" I said, "well that was you Mom. You used to say it all the time." She replied, "Oh no, I would never say a fool thing like that!"

She lived to be 97, always living at home and was happy doing so. RIP, Mom.

The document that was mostly referring to Blue Zones. The Loma Linda, CA Seventh Day Adventist Blue Zone is the American Blue Zone. They are vegetarians that eat only whole foods, get exercise walking, gardening, at the gym, etc, and have a strong sense of community.

Yeah, if you can maintain your health and general function, living to 100 would not be bad.

When I was growing up my Mom would often say if she lived to be 70 to "hit me over the head with a board and put me out of my misery!" When she was in her 70s I brought up to her that someone had said this, and she replied "what !@#x fool said something crazy like that!????" I said, "well that was you Mom. You used to say it all the time." She replied, "Oh no, I would never say a fool thing like that!"

She lived to be 97, always living at home and was happy doing so. RIP, Mom.
I love this story! She did exactly what I'd do... "No way *I* said that!" :giggle: 97! So glad you didn't bop her over the head! (And I'm sure she was glad, too!) @John cycling

Back