How to play internet streaming on the tv?

Geezerette

I have one of the typical packages of internet and cable tv, with the cable offerings rather limited. I’m not getting what I want.
What does it take to be able to stream the internet stuff I’d like to watch onto the TV set? Should I try to switch from cable to Roku and antenna?
What do I have to do to get the “free” streaming on the tv?
It is very hard to get any honest objective advice on alternatives because everyone is either selling something or only knows about their particular arrangements. I want to keep costs down as much as possible and still get to see what I’d like. Right now I feel like I’m throwing $ away

The BBC is free over here, but I am not sure
about BBC America.

There are free streaming place on the internet,
especially if you speak another language, I get
Sports via Spanish or French sites, and if you
ask Google in another language, you will get
lots of stuff in English, with foreign subtitles.

Worth a try, or get a free VPN and try any of
the English, speaking countries around the
world.

Good luck.

Mike.

We have the Firestick on all our TVs and have been away from Satellite TV now for probably two years now, and stream everything on the Firetv like my hockey games, all our evening shows, the wife's soaps. Haven't paid for television for those expensive cable suppliers, or satellite. We do pay for Prime and Netflix, and if they don't get better for the price they charge, they will be dropped also... I suggest checking out the firetv 4K

Haven't paid for cable or any services since the early 1990s. Totally OTA without any pay services. Here in the SFBA receive 80 to 120 over the air channels depending on weather and seasonally large tree's leaves blocking my unit. But that does not include many channels people want to watch like ESPN, HBO, TNT etc. In my case, I just don't spend much time watching more than minimal TV each week...yawn... and are rather on my computer or outdoors on fun and adventures. Will enjoy the coming NBA finals since that will be free broadcasted from ABC paid for by advertising. Ticket prices for seats in those games are all above $900 a game with average prices near $2.4k. I might drive up to The City and enjoy one game near Chase Arena that for free has a large video screen outside the arena with tons of standing folks milling about making festive noise.

We have the Firestick on all our TVs and have been away from Satellite TV now for probably two years now, and stream everything on the Firetv like my hockey games, all our evening shows, the wife's soaps. Haven't paid for television for those expensive cable suppliers, or satellite. We do pay for Prime and Netflix, and if they don't get better for the price they charge, they will be dropped also... I suggest checking out the firetv 4K
I also have Netflix and Prime but it seems like I hardly ever use Netflix these days, so I'm going to drop it in the near future. They suck anyway. I'm thinking about looking into subscribing to YouTube and watching movies on their platform. Subscribing will get rid of the commercials, also, so that will be a big plus. I'll need to compare them to some of the others to see who has the best selection.

I used to use OTA for network TV, but now ABC is available through their Roku app. Other channels might be available through their own respective apps, but I watch the news on ABC and that's about it for what I watch on network TV.

I replaced my cable with a Roku (until I sold my house), there was some free stuff to watch, but I found it confusing to scroll thru lots of channels, so I mostly watched Amazon Prime Video (which is included with Amazon Prime membership which I had anyway) and IMDb (shows and movies with commercials). I missed some of the movies I would see on the channels I had with cable, certain holiday ones. I guess they might be available on Amazon Prime if I pay to rent or purchase them, but I try to stick to the free stuff.

Fire Stick (Amazon) app for internet.

Screenshot-2022-11-24-5-36-25-AM.png

Back