I’m seriously considering getting a ‘new’ Saxophone

Keesha

🐟
My current saxophone was made in 1953 and is a well made instrument that’s made in Paris France.
Its one of the worlds finest makes but I’ve had it since 1973 and it has been stored in our basement which leaked due to my husband attaching a deck without flashing, so it’s on the stinky side, which is a huge turn off.

Its had 3 major overhauls already and it would cost approximately $1,000 Canadian plus I’d need a new case too. Even with a complete overhaul I’m not sure if it will completely eliminate the mouldy smell so I am actually considering getting a new one. I’ve checked out some used ones but I might splurge and spring for a brand new Yamaha one. It’s pretty sweet and is an Intermediate Level one which is where I’m at.

Two keys from my old one don’t work and it’s a tad annoying but to play again is pure delight.
Last night I played Silent Night and it felt pretty wonderful.

Heres my old saxophone 2CE8723F-0C18-4614-BC8E-85E724C6BD15.jpg
FE6DFE07-2C1E-4A77-99C9-5AE1E78BA5F0.jpg

Heres the model and make I would like. This one is selling for 1/2 price BUT is a 10 hour round trip drive.

5E4167EE-B679-422C-B694-9C679B54D5F2.jpeg

7A93F869-7EE2-4B0A-99D1-B7DCEE71FE1B.jpeg
It comes with a beautiful carrying case and a saxophone stand. It’s apparently only 2 years old but has already had two owners who haven’t been interested in it. It’s been listed for 7 weeks. When I asked why it hasn’t sold yet I was culled it’s because he won’t sell it for the price they wanted and he’s willing to let it sit for another year or two rather than sell it for less.

Any thoughts about this?

But I have good snow tires. It would cost $60 in gas plus I’d have to stay in a hotel. ($100 to $130 or so ) I’d have to bring food or stop at restaurants which would cost more.

My girls would have to come with me or they will cry all day long and my husband is on nights and won’t be pleased, plus I’d have to bring them with me to check out this saxophone.

The fact rhat that I don’t know the area or this seller is very worrisome and here’s our weather so far 085F1E0A-9947-4983-A2AB-FFCA1EE8C385.jpg
BUT I have good new snow tires

I'd go for it... it;s beautiful, and you so want to play your Sax again, and with the old one in the condition it's in, you can't.. treat yourself for Christmas, I would..

Oh I’m so excited Hollydolly. I think I will treat myself. My husband is all for it but then again, he’s such a sweetheart, :heart: and I could serenade him. Ok maybe not. :044:

Its only been recently that I’ve realized that I’m from a very musical family and caring for my parents is bringing back some very good happy memories too. My brother recently bought himself a new trumpet since his got ruined in he house fire. At Christmas we could jam together and really wake up the neighbourhood :lofl:

I’ve GOT to do it. It’s an inner urging.

Oooh yeaaah...perhaps you and your brother could get together for a duet...

Yikes to your weather... pretty lights tho'... so stay safe driving in that snow, and think of it all as a lovely trip with a great gift at the end..:D

I like the baritone sax first flowed by the tenor sax. I’n not a huge jazz fan, but the saxes always sounded good back in the days when doo wop was the top genre of rock ‘n roll for some of us.

Thats very cool Capt Lightning.
Ive never been there so wouldn’t know
I called about my older saxophone and it’s going to cost approximately $750 to replace all the leather pads and do an ultra sonic cleaning. That’s pricey but hopefully it will help take care of the smell along with a new carrying case.

Hahaha. Luckily I know how to play because they can sound like a goose getting its neck rung.
We don’t really have any close neighbours ......but I get what you’re saying :lofl:

Oh, Keesha....you saxy minx, you!

Your old sax got a little damp? Reminds me of an old Benny Hill skit. He's on the phone talking to someone he had visited:

"Well, I had a great time visiting. You have a lovely house. I especially liked the purple velvet bathroom with the gold-plated urinal."

"Oh, you don't have a purple velvet bathroom with a gold-plated urinal?"

"Ah, but you do have a gold-plated euphonium in a purple velvet case, you say?"

"I didn't know you played the euphonium. Oh, you don't any more. It's rusty, you say?"

Today I decided to go into the city to try out the Yamaha 280 first before making the 10 hour drive and I have to admit that I’m glad I did. The store was packed like a tin of sardines but I was able to try out this newer model saxophone, which I thought I’d love. Was I wrong!

The saxophone I was trying was a rental l that was less than a year old but the A and B keys kept sticking so playing ‘In the mood’ was pointless. Also the spacing for these particular keys seemed very crowded to me and I don’t have exceptionally large hands so was surprised. The lack of finger space I found bothersome and then switching from key B to C wasn’t smooth at all. When I told the salesperson he said he knew a bit about playing the saxophone and would try it out and see what I was talking about which he did. He tried it himself and fixed the problem but it still didn’t perform smoothly and the low notes were hard to get without extra air, making them louder than they should be.

Overall I was underwhelmed. The fact that this saxophone is only 5 pounds as opposed to my 12.5 pound saxophone , intrigued me but that’s about it. It has a high F# and apparentjy a bunch of other keys that mine doesn’t have but then that made sense why the fingering is so crowded. There are extra keys which require space.

The visit wasn’t a total waste because I got to pick up a new saxophone case. My old saxophone case is 65 years old and looks it.

71B87E5F-2765-4EBE-85B7-CAC9DF830347.jpg
This is a newer design case which protects the saxophone and has more carrying options.
Plus it looks WAY cooler holding my 65 year old saxophone.

E245D5D2-1ADA-4FEF-9EE0-F466ABBB41B5.jpg

While I got my saxophone from the car to get this case, another salesperson came over that was quite interested in it. He was the one that stated that it was missing keys that the other more modern saxophones have and said that if I got it refurbished to optimum playing ability that it would sound like the equivalent of a Yamaha 480 which is a $3600 instrument; not the monetary value , mind you. He said that I would be best off keeping the one I have and remarked that it was in great shape, especially considering the age of it. A few other people have told me this. He says the old saxophones are heavier since the metals weren’t as mixed as the newer ones which makes sense. The pads were always made of pure leather not polyester and the springs and buttons were made of better materials.

I left feeling very grateful that I hadn’t driven almost to the next province to look a one of these models and to be brutally honest , I think I was just looking for a good distraction from family stuff.

Anyway I’ve decided to invest time, effort and money to fix up my old one and start playing it again. I purchased some disinfectant , cleaning spray, a saxophone stand and a new strap. One thing I forgot was to get a new cleaner but I can get that next time if even make one.

E4927118-1777-4B80-8B35-0DC551C169E3.jpg

5013293B-C339-4010-8176-7517944F73F1.jpg

Im not sure why the last picture turned itself sideways but it did.

Keesha,the ONLY thing you need to know is-you love your original sax.
The only reason you were prepared to drive to a wilderness you don't know,in a car burning fuel you can't afford,staying in manky motels you really don't fancy,was impatience. That's the truth...impatience. You KNOW that with love,care,musical commitment and a little tender easing-in,your genuine,real,original,true-metal sax will still be burning holes through your heart in 20 years time. But you want it NOW. Nahhh...mere impatience,sweetheart. Would you really be happy to swap a genuine,hand-built,lovingly constructed musical gem,for a mass-produced,flimsy,off-key version of the real deal,just to own keys you've never missed,never used and don't need,for the style of music you want-and need-to play? Your heart will keep beating-but your soul will always know you aren't truly happy-and as a result,you'll cease playing again.
You KNOW how many guitars I own-we've discussed this...but every single time I wander onto the beach and sit playing whatever floats through my single-cylinder mind as the pooches gambol around,I'm carrying my old,original,1957 Hofner. Tatty,a bit battered,but peerless,when it comes to expressing inner feelings freestyle. When I want to just let my mind do the playing,as you do with that lovely sax,rather than stick within a formulaic,regimented version of what others say music should be,my old Hofner & your old saxophone,though an ocean apart,are as one. Let your heart dictate,not your mind. Your heart is always honest-your mind just wants to please you. Go sit on a hill and play sax to the sunset,as your mind roams through notes,keys and breves,your soul smiles,as it dances to the sound of your self-expression,your smile bursts through.
Restore and replenish your original sax-and in return,it'll repay you in huge,happy smiles you didn't know you still had in you,hon. :love_heart:

I'm happy for you Keesha and glad you are keeping your old one. I don't know a thing about saxophones but my Dad had a similar experience with his guitar. He did end up buying a new one but finally had his old one fixed because the new one just didn't feel as comfortable as the old one.

Keesha,the ONLY thing you need to know is-you love your original sax.
The only reason you were prepared to drive to a wilderness you don't know,in a car burning fuel you can't afford,staying in manky motels you really don't fancy,was impatience. That's the truth...impatience. You KNOW that with love,care,musical commitment and a little tender easing-in,your genuine,real,original,true-metal sax will still be burning holes through your heart in 20 years time. But you want it NOW. Nahhh...mere impatience,sweetheart. Would you really be happy to swap a genuine,hand-built,lovingly constructed musical gem,for a mass-produced,flimsy,off-key version of the real deal,just to own keys you've never missed,never used and don't need,for the style of music you want-and need-to play? Your heart will keep beating-but your soul will always know you aren't truly happy-and as a result,you'll cease playing again.
You KNOW how many guitars I own-we've discussed this...but every single time I wander onto the beach and sit playing whatever floats through my single-cylinder mind as the pooches gambol around,I'm carrying my old,original,1957 Hofner. Tatty,a bit battered,but peerless,when it comes to expressing inner feelings freestyle. When I want to just let my mind do the playing,as you do with that lovely sax,rather than stick within a formulaic,regimented version of what others say music should be,my old Hofner & your old saxophone,though an ocean apart,are as one. Let your heart dictate,not your mind. Your heart is always honest-your mind just wants to please you. Go sit on a hill and play sax to the sunset,as your mind roams through notes,keys and breves,your soul smiles,as it dances to the sound of your self-expression,your smile bursts through.
Restore and replenish your original sax-and in return,it'll repay you in huge,happy smiles you didn't know you still had in you,hon. :love_heart:

Hey you with the 11 guitars. Yes I suppose you would know all about this. It is anxiousness and impatience. I wanted to play a working saxophone and I wanted to play it NOW! Yes I’m spoiled, no doubt but I AM able to pull back and tone down when I’m going over board.

What really really surprised me was how I felt playing the instrument. Before I left the house I had envisioned that I was going to fall in Love with this newer model but I felt like such a traitor. It’s a strange feeling knowing that you have such a strong sentimental value to an inanimate object yet here I was feeling so disloyal.

I’ve had mine for 45 years and that’s a long time. The spacing between notes is plentiful and not something I’d ever dream would be different but if new notes are added they have to take up space. I tell you I’ve got a new appreciation for my old baby. She’s a gem. The new case will help with the musty smell as well as a complete overhaul. I am going to get all the pads replaced which will cost me about $750 but this is so worth it. I had it done about 25 years ago.

Thanks for the support my friend. You’re such a nice man!
Which guitar is your favourite and what’s your favourite song to play?
Do you have other musicians you practice with ? I know you used to play in bands.

Treeguy from here plays guitar professionally also and knows quite a bit musically.
Didnt you play with some well known bands including David Bowie?

I'm happy for you Keesha and glad you are keeping your old one. I don't know a thing about saxophones but my Dad had a similar experience with his guitar. He did end up buying a new one but finally had his old one fixed because the new one just didn't feel as comfortable as the old one.
Thanks Ruth. It’s true you get attached to an instrument. It feels comfortable and familiar. I think at times the grass seems greener on the other side and we need a good dose of reality and gratitude to bring our feet back down to ground level. At least I did. Guitar is always something I wish I had learned how to play but it hurts the paws.

Everybody in favor of having Keesha make a YouTube video of her playing the sax for us to see raise your hand.
hand_raising.jpg

Back