I actually used one of these as a young boy, guess which one

That's what I used, it had the consistency of automotive wheel bearing grease.
I don't ever remember seeing our boys when we were young having flat tops but I do remember very well seeing pictures of American boys who had them , you all looked so cute and scrubbed up when you were young... our lads were just all hippies. or mods and rockers.. bless 'em ..lol :D

I always attributed the "wet look," pompadours, and DAs to prior to 1960.

JFK emerged that year with a dry look that most admired, not the blow dry look of later decades, just no grease. He said that he "combed" his hair with his hands and nothing else. I wonder how he kept that left-side part straight. Hmmmm.

Prior to '60 was a style called "Detroit" in my town, (for some unknown reason o_O) where the top was flat but not real short, and the sides were long and swept back.

Then there was a '50's style some called "waterfall," ( called "Chicago" in my town o_O ) whereby the hair on top was pulled forward while the sides were pulled upward coming to a point in the front. If you remember early photos of Jimmy Clanton, you know what I mean.

Seems guys had as many styles as girls.

Jimmy Clanton - Go Jimmy Go - YouTube

Trying to remember, but when I had hair, I used a product called wave set it worked beautiful for combing my hair back into a DA. It came in a bottle, and I could dip my comb right into the bottle.
Then came Vitalis and Brylcreem.
I remember that stuff. It was green. Had the consistency of snot (sorry) The Hawaian girls I hung out with used to use it to keep their hair back from their face.

Back