I am suffering from sciatica. I wondered if anyone could recommend which heat pads are best to purchase for this condition.

Maisie123

I am suffering from sciatica. I wondered if anyone could recommend which heat pads are best to purchase for this condition.

I've found gentle stretching exercises work.
Start slow one or two a day.
Exercises should be leg lifts, side ones & or back leg lifts.
Grip a counter to hold onto while you do them.

If you are unsure about doing them ask our doctor about gentle exercises.

I'm 81, have learned moving about helps those body parts that painful.

To answer the actual question that you asked: heating pads are pretty much generic. Get one with at least three heat selections. A removable cloth cover that can be washed is a plus. Hope you get relief soon, sciatica is a real pain in more than one meaning of the word.

The best solution would be if you can figure out what causes it. For example:

I love hiking and always carried a cane in my right hand. Then I developed sciatica. After much trial and error, I discovered that changing the cane between both hands (instead of having it ONLY in my right hand) got rid of my sciatica pain.

Too much hiking in my mid 80's caused damage to my left hip. An orthopedic surgeon gave me a shot into my left hip, the pain went away AND BASTA, my back pain was also gone. Indeed, the sciatica nerve connects both areas. Solving the problem in one area also solved the problem in the other area.

Sitting too long also caused me sciatica pain. After much trial and error, I discovered that sitting on a four-inch foam pillow got rid of this type of sciatica pain.

OTC Voltaren arthritis cream (both Costco and Sam's Club carry it) worked wonders for me to eliminate sciatica pain for a week or so. But check with your physician first.

PS, I think Prednisone is by prescription only because it could damage the liver ???

PPS, in extreme cases, a vertebra surgery will bring relief.

Last edited:
Get some Prednisone, if possible and Voltaren does help, but it’s all short term. You may want to consider an epidural. That can last as long as 6 months. Have the surgeon use a fluoroscope to get the needle in the right spot. Stay away from narcotic pain pills like; Percocet and Vicodin, Hydrocodone and Oxycodone. These can become addictive.

Forget the heating pads. It just makes things worse. My approach is to lay flat on my back on the floor, pull up my knees and roll back and forth 2 times. Do this 4 times each morning, 5 days/week.

I used to have sciatica years ago. The last time I ended up in the local hospital. No more since starting this exercise. I am 77 and walk as straight as you could want.

Back