With this onion paper thin Irish skin of mine, I cut easy
But, I heal quick

The last doozie was when I ran a saw over the top of my hand

View attachment 123655

Poured whiskey on it
Held it over my head an hour or so
Went back to work
View attachment 123684View attachment 123685View attachment 123686
First 2 pics are my right arm, last pic is left arm. 3 years ago. My 2 dogs got into a fight, I separated them I was home alone, husband (now ex) at work, my son and DIL who lived close were also gone to visit family in MO.

I tended to my dogs wounds, then cleaned my wounds, moped up blood mostly mine, took these cute photos of my wounds, then sent the pics to DIL who pitched a fit demanding I go to the E.R.

I wanted to wait until hubby was home, 5 hours. Anyway went to E.R. got stitches. I have a nice scar as a reminder, and these lovely pic's. I'm a tough old bird. 🤪

Just so you know guy and gal, lol. I am in no way complaining about your pix. Just having a bit of fun wit ye. Having been a hogger for 50 years you have got to know I have seen things on the tracks you people wouldn't believe. TTFN.

You'd be surprised, Becky at the number of people who faint at the first hint of blood. In Feb., I was visiting my son and cut my left pointer finger at the second knuckle to to bone. Just me and Sonny and I had to calm him sufficiently to get me to the ER for I knew I'd require stitches. What a time with him. Then, in the ER the Physician's Assistant was a nervous wreck as she'd never sutured anyone before. Since I am left handed, I could not do it myself or I certainly would have, so I assisted her as much as I could. Being an old OR nurse, I knew precisely where the suture would go. My son had to leave the room. So, you see, there are a ton of folks, even professionals out there who are fairly if not totally squeamish when they see these pictures.

@Aneeda72 I remember my Mum telling me she and her brother were playing with a kitchen knife many years ago and he managed to actually slice her left hand between the middle finger and ring finger virtually splitting her hand in half
They lived a long way from medical attention so her Mum bandaged Mum's hand very tightly and within a week the hand was healing nicely and Mum's hand worked just fine
Best thing you can do is wrap your thumb tightly to bring the cut edges together but not so tight that the thumb goes numb
You can even use Gaffer Tape or Duck/Duct Tape for this and leave this in place as long as possible
When changing the bandage best way is to carefully cut the bandage away to minimise pulling the wound edges open
Clean and dress the wound with bandage or gaffer tape or skin glue if you have it

@Aneeda72 I remember my Mum telling me she and her brother were playing with a kitchen knife many years ago and he managed to actually slice her left hand between the middle finger and ring finger virtually splitting her hand in half
They lived a long way from medical attention so her Mum bandaged Mum's hand very tightly and within a week the hand was healing nicely and Mum's hand worked just fine
Best thing you can do is wrap your thumb tightly to bring the cut edges together but not so tight that the thumb goes numb
You can even use Gaffer Tape or Duck/Duct Tape for this and leave this in place as long as possible
When changing the bandage best way is to carefully cut the bandage away to minimise pulling the wound edges open
Clean and dress the wound with bandage or gaffer tape or skin glue if you have it
Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing

My mom was trying to close a window that was stuck, all of a sudden it slammed down breaking the glass and a sharp piece cut the vein on her hand. It was shooting blood with each heart beat. She woke my dad who grabbed a handful of flour and packed it then wrapped it tight. That stopped the bleeding and she was fine.

Well, my thumb is not healing at all. Still open, bled a little last night while I slept, and no scabbing. I’ll give it a couple more days and then ask the doctor what she thinks. It’s so annoying as it’s on the thumb under where the nail is so it’s impossible to use my thumb without causing pain.

I also have a skin tear that might be infected so if that’s not better in a couple days I will have to go to a walk in clinic anyway. 🤦🏻‍♀️ The virus is on the uprise here, again, I hate to go in to a medical place.

You'd be surprised, Becky at the number of people who faint at the first hint of blood. In Feb., I was visiting my son and cut my left pointer finger at the second knuckle to to bone. Just me and Sonny and I had to calm him sufficiently to get me to the ER for I knew I'd require stitches. What a time with him. Then, in the ER the Physician's Assistant was a nervous wreck as she'd never sutured anyone before. Since I am left handed, I could not do it myself or I certainly would have, so I assisted her as much as I could. Being an old OR nurse, I knew precisely where the suture would go. My son had to leave the room. So, you see, there are a ton of folks, even professionals out there who are fairly if not totally squeamish when they see these pictures.

I can mostly handle blood. No problem dealing with feces and urine, but not so much vomit and large amounts of mucous. The sound, smell and sight cause me to start gagging and throwing up. Even with my own kids.

Fortunately my husband has a cast iron stomach. We'd work as a team. I'd clean up the kid, he'd clean up the puke. If a dog threw up on the carpet while hubby wasn't home, I'd put a bucket over it. He'd chuckle a bit and clean it up when he came home. Absolutely no biggie for him.

When my daughter was having her second child she went to a midwife in a professional building attached to the hospital (the hospital was literally down the hallway). Anyway, I was chatting with the midwife and told her I couldn't do her job at least partly because so many women throw up during labor and deliver.

She said, "Oh, I don't do vomit. When one of the moms throws up, I look at her husband or other support person, point to the paper towels and sink, and tell them, 'That's all you.'"
LOL

p.s. Nobody ever needs to tell me how blessed I was with my spin on the husband wheel of fortune. He's aces!!!
my hero.gif

@FastTrax, did you enjoy people waving at you, especially the kids. I’ve never seen a Hogger not wave back.

Yep I always enjoyed that. Waving at people trackside is fun but it can be distracting to some engineers especially the extra board crews who feared taking their eyes off the tracks for even one second because of being constantly overworked which stressed them out to no end. Believe me I know. However unlike low to medium speed freight service in low to medium density routes many intercity , regional and commuter passenger service engineers are unable to split their concentration and defer to safety instead of kinship especially in high speed high density corridors like the NEC, Empire Hudson ex NYC Waterlevel Route, Harrisburg and other areas. There are a number of railfan forums that bring this subject up constantly and for the most part some engineers are just plain sick and tired of people trackside throwing things at trains or worst placing large items like refrigerators, stoves and even cars on the tracks. This seemed to be an urban pastime. The rural pastime was the farmer putting his sick livestock on the tracks then when the train struck the poor thing then the farmer submits a claim for the big "We're sorry" payout. The latest incident of distraction comes to mind when a CTA motorman pulling into a station in Chicago struck and killed a woman who was trying to climb back on the platform after retrieving her cellphone from the tracks. The CTA released the cabs inward facing camera video which showed him waving at people trackside right up to the second where he struck her. I'm no meanie though and I always pulled the cord (Showing my age here) now these new toy engines have buttons. Good grief what an insult. A horn button yet. That's not manly. What's worst is now the bells are electric. How does a train engine have an electric bell? That's unholy. Now AMTRASH ACS64's Cities Sprinters (Gimmie a break already) have LED headlights. GOD forbid they should demand the engines have real light bulbs anymore. Do you know what a LED is? It's a light emitting diode. A light emitting diode is a diode that emits light. That's akin to light beer and diet soda. Oh man did I say all that? Sorry Jules I seem to be on a tear. Miller Time.

I can mostly handle blood. No problem dealing with feces and urine, but not so much vomit and large amounts of mucous. The sound, smell and sight cause me to start gagging and throwing up. Even with my own kids.

Fortunately my husband has a cast iron stomach. We'd work as a team. I'd clean up the kid, he'd clean up the puke. If a dog threw up on the carpet while hubby wasn't home, I'd put a bucket over it. He'd chuckle a bit and clean it up when he came home. Absolutely no biggie for him.

When my daughter was having her second child she went to a midwife in a professional building attached to the hospital (the hospital was literally down the hallway). Anyway, I was chatting with the midwife and told her I couldn't do her job at least partly because so many women throw up during labor and deliver.

She said, "Oh, I don't do vomit. When one of the moms throws up, I look at her husband or other support person, point to the paper towels and sink, and tell them, 'That's all you.'"
LOL

p.s. Nobody ever needs to tell me how blessed I was with my spin on the husband wheel of fortune. He's aces!!!
View attachment 124020
I remember when my daughter woke me up one night, she was five years old. Mommy, she said, I threw up in the hallway. I replied, that’s ok honey, you know where the mop is. 😂. Yup, I don’t do vomit either. Course, she has never let me live this down.

I just hate to go in for the thumb, but I am afraid I will have to go. You guys are probably right. It is not red, it’s not infected, it’s just not closing despite keeping a tight bandage on it. It is swollen around the cut. Maybe the swelling is keeping it open.

I’ll go Friday if there is no sign of healing. I’m diabetic so it does sometimes take a little longer. The skin tear drained so the redness should start to fade. Ugh. I should never use a knife. One time I was cutting a onion, yup, twelve stitches in my little finger. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yep I always enjoyed that. Waving at people trackside is fun but it can be distracting to some engineers especially the extra board crews who feared taking their eyes off the tracks for even one second because of being constantly overworked which stressed them out to no end. Believe me I know. However unlike low to medium speed freight service in low to medium density routes many intercity , regional and commuter passenger service engineers are unable to split their concentration and defer to safety instead of kinship especially in high speed high density corridors like the NEC, Empire Hudson ex NYC Waterlevel Route, Harrisburg and other areas. There are a number of railfan forums that bring this subject up constantly and for the most part some engineers are just plain sick and tired of people trackside throwing things at trains or worst placing large items like refrigerators, stoves and even cars on the tracks. This seemed to be an urban pastime. The rural pastime was the farmer putting his sick livestock on the tracks then when the train struck the poor thing then the farmer submits a claim for the big "We're sorry" payout. The latest incident of distraction comes to mind when a CTA motorman pulling into a station in Chicago struck and killed a woman who was trying to climb back on the platform after retrieving her cellphone from the tracks. The CTA released the cabs inward facing camera video which showed him waving at people trackside right up to the second where he struck her. I'm no meanie though and I always pulled the cord (Showing my age here) now these new toy engines have buttons. Good grief what an insult. A horn button yet. That's not manly. What's worst is now the bells are electric. How does a train engine have an electric bell? That's unholy. Now AMTRASH ACS64's Cities Sprinters (Gimmie a break already) have LED headlights. GOD forbid they should demand the engines have real light bulbs anymore. Do you know what a LED is? It's a light emitting diode. A light emitting diode is a diode that emits light. That's akin to light beer and diet soda. Oh man did I say all that? Sorry Jules I seem to be on a tear. Miller Time.
A great post, but please break it into paragraphs next time. It's very difficult to read walls of text.

I had no idea that people intentionally put things on the tracks, never mind sick animals. What a dreadful situation for the engineer.

One of my relatives committed suicide via train. She was 20 years old and had a simply dreadful mother. Apparently this young woman couldn't see any other way out of her misery. She planned the suicide, even left a note at home.

According to the conductor, as his train approached she quickly laid herself down along the tracks, head between the rails, facing the train. He frantically blew the whistle, but to no avail. She didn't move and he was unable to stop in time.

I've often prayed for peace and healing for the train personnel. So sad and terrible for everyone.

A great post, but please break it into paragraphs next time. It's very difficult to read walls of text.

I had no idea that people intentionally put things on the tracks, never mind sick animals. What a dreadful situation for the engineer.

One of my relatives committed suicide via train. She was 20 years old and had a simply dreadful mother. Apparently this young woman couldn't see any other way out of her misery. She planned the suicide, even left a note at home.

According to the conductor, as his train approached she quickly laid herself down along the tracks, head between the rails, facing the train. He frantically blew the whistle, but to no avail. She didn't move and he was unable to stop in time.

I've often prayed for peace and healing for the train personnel. So sad and terrible for everyone.

Sorry. I'll work on my text. Thanks for the heads up StarSong. Sorry for the loss of your relative in such a horrible and psychologically impacting way. Unfortunately for engineers and motormen (Train operators) the last thing you want to experience is striking people falling on the tracks, being pushed on the tracks, trespassers, vehicles and having your train derail at speed.
I guess due to traffic density, frequency of travel and congestion rapid transit motormen (Train operators) strike more trespassers and people falling or having been pushed on the tracks then in any other part of the rail service.
Unlike in regular rail service unless in passenger service when we're running MU's that is very up close and personal. Enjoy your day and GOD Bless.

Last edited:

Back