I fell down our porch steps yesterday.

Ruth n Jersey

I was washing our porch screens Sunday, it was warm and I took off my shoes to do the job . The screens come out from inside so I got a bucket of hot water with soap and wet them with a hose and scrubbed with a brush. We have a wooden floor and most of the water washes through the cracks and down the steps.
We put the clean screens in the garage over the winter.
I got all done and was on my way to put the hose away and slipped on the top step that was covered with leaves and the soapy water.

I landed on the patio below. I couldn't get up so I managed to scoot up the stairs and into our laundry room on my backside. The hubby finally heard the ruckus and brought our rolling desk chair to the laundry room.
I Went to urgent care and sat for 5 hours. Nothing urgent about their care.
Had x-rays and results showed a broken toe and sprained ankle.
It could have been much worse. Another dislocated knee or back injury would have done me i
I have a boot to keep the toe inline and use the desk chair to get around.
The swelling has gone down a bit so I guess I'm on the mend.
I do have an appointment with the doctor because I need to know if I can put any weight on the foot.
I'm not one to sit around.

I was washing our porch screens Sunday, it was warm and I took off my shoes to do the job . The screens come out from inside so I got a bucket of hot water with soap and wet them with a hose and scrubbed with a brush. We have a wooden floor and most of the water washes through the cracks and down the steps.
I got all done and was on my way to put the hose away and slipped on the top step that was covered with leaves and the soapy water.

I landed on the patio below. I couldn't get up so I managed to scoot up the stairs and into our laundry room on my backside. The hubby finally heard the ruckus and brought our rolling desk chair to the laundry room.
It could have been much worse. Another dislocated knee or back injury would have done me i
I do have an appointment with the doctor because I need to know if I can put any weight on the foot.
Oh NOOOO. Glad to hear all in all you are ok. 💞 You may have to rest up just a bit.

Ruth, I'm so sorry you fell like that and thankful your injuries weren't any more serious than they are. Hoping you're not in too much pain, please take care of yourself. Hugs. 🧡

images

results showed a broken toe and sprained ankle.

Ankle sprains can heal quite rapidity in just a few days by soaking your foot in ice water for 2 to 5 minutes at a time, several times a day until healed. This reduces the inflammation, swelling and pain, and drives the blood deep for healing of the nerves and tissues. If the cold feels too uncomfortable, then take it out until you're comfortable than put it back in, but when it's cold enough leave it out, even if that's only for a minute or two. Doing this more times a day is more important than leaving your foot in too long at one time.

I've healed a number of sprains quite quickly this way, ankles, wrists, elbow, knee pain, and 3 fractured metatarsals in my foot which were extremely painful, but I was back to running again in 6 weeks. A runner friend podiatrist later said I'd done exactly the right thing, and that wearing a cast would have delayed the healing and made the foot weak for quite a long time.

Never use heat on an injury, because it would do the opposite, increase inflammation and pain, and delay the healing.

good to know you're alright.

Sorry to hear you were injured. I hope you heel up quickly and painlessly. I tore my Achilles tendon a few years ago and had to stay off my foot for about six weeks. I had a hard time with crutches and a walker would have made it hard to move around with a cup of coffee in my hand. I used one of these (see image) and I could go anywhere I please except maybe swimming. I do not know how long you will be down but it might be worth a look. I am in no way affiliated with the company who makes them. It just worked so well I share my experience to help others. Any questions feel free to ask.

I walk.jpg

It could have been much worse.
I am glad it wasn't worse. We all have to be more careful as we age, bones break easier, and balance is not as good.

My wife fell last week, broke one wrist so badly she will probably need surgery, and had other injuries. She was just knocked over by our dog. Need to be careful!

I landed on the patio below.

Hate it when that happens
Any style points from the descent?

I did almost the exact thing when painting the trim around a window and door, on the back porch.
No masking, just freehand
Was rather proud of my accomplishment
Stepped back to admire my work
Back of my heel never made contact
Whirled around to save myself
Reached out for the rail on the way down
Too short
But just enough to get a sliver from scratching frantically at it
Did a weird somersault down the stairs
Spilling paint over everything and myself
Ended up at the bottom of the stairs in a painted heap
Laid there in the fetal position for several minutes

Glad yer on the mend, Ruthie

i can empathize @Ruth n Jersey. Hope you heal quickly and thoroughly. Glad you'll be seeing Doc again soon, hope you'll follow recommendations.

One of the biggest issues with active people, like you (and me too) is that we often reinjure ourselves or delay recovering from illness by not getting the rest needed, and trying to do too much too soon. When we are young we can get it away with it a little easier. It often takes a couple of serious problems with injuries or illnesses when older before get the message that we have to 1) take better care of ourselves after a problem and 2) maybe rethink how we do some things to leave less room for injuring ourselves.

Please keep us posted.

Back