I have to make some tough decisions

Since I use Windows 7 and Microsoft support is now ending.
I can
1) continue to us Windows 7 and hope for the best,
2) get a new computer with Windows 10,
3) get a Chromebook and not have to worry about updates and security (however I don't know how to set that up or get it to connect to the Internet)
4) give up being Online

Look at my post on the computer section and the responses from buyers of refurbished computers. As for me I am done with Microsoft. I'm going Chromebook.

I use Windows 10 and don't really see what the fuss is about.

IMO it would be a mistake to give up on the internet if anything I think that you should use it more to help simplify your banking, bill paying, shopping, etc...

I'm thinking of going to a more modern telephone and then when this laptop dies a Chromebook or similar. I'm beginning to think that having more than one device to access the internet is essential and I don't have anyone that I could rely on to provide alternate access in the event of a disruption in service or equipment malfunction.

Good luck with your decision Deb!

I went with W10 a few years ago and the transtion was smooth. I had to have a new internal hard drive and while at it the engineer installed W10. I am not a heavy user on my lap top and quite basic due to my lack of knowledge on computers...ignorance is bliss....until something goes belly-up and may chuck it out of the back door😕

I found the transition to Win10 easy. It does just take time. The default browser is Edge, but if you are used to IE, yoou can still set up favorites. Plus I like that I can put a favorites bar across the top for the sites I visit most often.
You can also use Chrome or Firefox.
I found I adapted within a few weeks. But I am on my computer daily, and I tend to stick with things until I figure them out.

I'm thinking of going to a more modern telephone and then when this laptop dies a Chromebook or similar. I'm beginning to think that having more than one device to access the internet is essential and I don't have anyone that I could rely on to provide alternate access in the event of a disruption in service or equipment malfunction.

For an emergency, you can access in a library. Of course, the internet and computer is one of my few options for financial and social access, so I would die if I didn't have it always available. I'm also thinking, like you, of getting a smartphone as an alternate internet option and also because I can use it to text since I am deaf.

I've used computers at the library (if one is available - they only have 4 and are not maintained very well. The last time I checked they had Firefox Version 34), but, like you, only in an emergency. I don't trust the security on them (although I don't do anything on a computer I'd be ashemed of, but I've heard passwords can be compromised). At home I do use Firefox.

I've used computers at the library (if one is available - they only have 4 and are not maintained very well. The last time I checked they had Firefox Version 34), but, like you, only in an emergency. I don't trust the security on them (although I don't do anything on a computer I'd be ashemed of, but I've heard passwords can be compromised). At home I do use Firefox.
I've never used the one at the library. A long time ago when I went to the library, most of the people at the library were using the computers, hardly anyone was checking the books. LOL And another thing, don't know if it has changed, they only give you one half hour use, if there's no one waiting, they will give you another session. It's good for emergencies if your internet/computer is unavailable, but it would never work for me long term. My computer is no longer a ''want'' for me, it's a ''need''.

Since I use Windows 7 and Microsoft support is now ending.
I can
1) continue to us Windows 7 and hope for the best,
2) get a new computer with Windows 10,
3) get a Chromebook and not have to worry about updates and security (however I don't know how to set that up or get it to connect to the Internet)
4) give up being Online
You don't need a new computer. You can upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. See this article

https://www.howtogeek.com/509087/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free/

I use the library computers if mine is down. Here you get an hour of use at a time but have never had a problem going over the hour limit. They are really nice and help is available if needed.
I always assumed the computer automatically logs you off after the allowed time. Like I said, I never used it, and it's been a decade or so since I went to the library, I have all the info I need or want online.

I notice that you have not mentioned the possibility of just getting a tablet, like an iPad, @debodun , and I think that you might want to at least check out this possibility when you are looking at new computer options.
I have a Kindle Fire that I use for reading books, and an iPad that I use for everything else. I have an external keyboard case, which makes my iPad almost virtually the same as using a laptop would be.
The operating system is different than Windows, but a whole lot less of a hassle, and you don’t have to worry about getting a virus.
Since the ipad is lightweight and portable, you can use it anywhere that you are comfortable, like your favorite recliner.

I had a Chromebook for a while, and those are pretty simple to use, and also fairly inexpensive compared to a new Windows computer, and I think that you would probably be really happy with a Chromebook, as well.

A chromebook is linked to a Gmail account. If you don't have one you can set one up for free. When you sign into a chromebook, it will ask you for your Gmail name and password. Once you are logged in, you may use Google Chrome as your browser to access the internet.

Chromebooks allow you to download certain apps. I believe you may also download Firefox to use as your web browser. But if you do decide to use one you will find that operating it will be slightly different. This mostly has to do with manipulating files and so forth. Using it to do online banking or other similar tasks is really easy.

Personally, I still like my widows machine running Windows 10 mainly because I have used Windows for so long I am more comfortable with it. But I do have a chromebook and use it a lot when away from home.

I really would urge you to try upgrading to Windows 10 as the next step in your original posting.

You would access the internet with a WiFi connection, just like you do with a Windows or Apple device. The main difference that I noticed was that everything need a google email sign-in, so you would need to get a gmail account.
Once you have that (and you probably already have one for things like YouTube or google photos), then you just sign in, and you can go anywhere on the internet that you can with any other device.

The thing with a Chromebook, is that there is very little storage, so you have to store everything online. Your photos would be in Google Photos, and if you use an office app, then you would use the Google one.
There are some good information videos on YouTube that fully explain how a Chromebook works, and watching some of those should give you a good idea of whether you want one or not.

I notice that you have not mentioned the possibility of just getting a tablet, like an iPad, @debodun , and I think that you might want to at least check out this possibility when you are looking at new computer options.
I have a Kindle Fire that I use for reading books, and an iPad that I use for everything else. I have an external keyboard case, which makes my iPad almost virtually the same as using a laptop would be.
The operating system is different than Windows, but a whole lot less of a hassle, and you don’t have to worry about getting a virus.
Since the ipad is lightweight and portable, you can use it anywhere that you are comfortable, like your favorite recliner.

I had a Chromebook for a while, and those are pretty simple to use, and also fairly inexpensive compared to a new Windows computer, and I think that you would probably be really happy with a Chromebook, as well.
Wondering...how do you find the touch typing on your iPad external keyboard compared to a regular Mac computer built in keyboard? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

How do you connect to the internet right now, @debodun ? Whatever you are doing with your old computer should also work with any new one that you decide to get. Look at your modem, and see if there is some kind of antenna setup there. Even if you are wired in to the modem right now, if there is an antenna, it is set up for WiFi.

I don’t have any problems at all with the external keyboard for my ipad, @Liberty . It is probably just a little smaller than a full-sized computer keyboard, but plenty big enough to easily type with, and much easier than using the virtual keyboards that come with tablets.
Here is a picture of my ipad and keyboard. 0C03D4A9-7647-4305-94F7-11F1A46AE8FD.jpeg

I got a new laptop and changed from 7 to 10 in September. I had no choice I was use.d to 7 and liked it up to a point. To me, windows 10 is much more complicated and has taken me months to learn and I don't even use 90% of its potential. I have no one that helps me. The books available do not help me much. The ones for seniors are too simple and inadequate and the large books have information in small print that I don't need or want. (Why do writers assume that seniors are beginners?) The advice online is often misleading (if you find it) I follow their directions and they don't work! So if you get frustrated easily and have short patience, use your Windows 7 as long as you like. If Windows 10 has features that you really want, try it. If you learn computers easily and enjoy this, try the 10. I feel that operating systems have a mind of their own.

Back