I Have To Reconstruct My 2022 Taxes!

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
Copies of my 2022 tax return cannot be found anywhere on my external hard drives (HDs). I transferred sensitive documents to them then deleted them from the computer HD when I had to take it in for servicing. Before that iDrive, the digital storage app I was using. notified customers that free accounts would no longer be available and they'd delete those accounts by a certain time. I started moving documents out of there and putting those on my HDs too. The only thing I can think of is that I inadvertently failed to transfer my taxes.

But that doesn't explain why the 2022 H & R Block tax program is also missing from those drives. Something told me to check a third HD I have that I mainly used for my music projects and I found the 2022 program there. But when I opened it, my return wasn't shown. My oldest grandson and I share the programs and he filed his extension a month ago, so his return showed but not mine! This is the craziest thing! I know I filed last year because I still have the emails notifying me that the federal and state returns were accepted.

Getting started was fairly easy because information from my 2021 return was transferred into the program from the PDF. I just have to make sure that I enter the figures correctly from all sources so my AGI matches the original return. That figure will be needed when e-filing the 2023 federal return.

If you only need the actual return, maybe the IRS could provide it (assuming the govt doesn't shutdown, wonder what the status of that is?):

Topic No. 156, How to Get a Transcript or Copy of Your Tax Return | Internal Revenue Service.
Thank you for this information HoneyNut. I'm almost finished, however. I don't itemize so it's just a matter of inputting new numbers for interest, dividends and retirement income. All the other fields were pre-filled. That's another reason I need H & R Block's "original" HR PDF, so I can pre-fill my 2023 return; makes everything so much easier. I'd also like to have the HR form for my state taxes.

I bookmarked the link you provided though. in case for some reason my AGI is wrong and isn't accepted. I'm not crazy about the procedure for obtaining the transcript and definitely would never have them mail a copy of my taxes to my address. Between not trusting the post office and inaccurate mail handling, too much mail winds up in the wrong places around here. We've even had mail for people who live blocks away delivered to our building!

I keep a digital and a hard copy of all my tax returns. Period. After seven years I toss most of the supporting data, but I keep a copy of the return. Until I die or the end of the world. Which ever occurs first.

Why seven years? Other than tax fraud, which I don't do, that is about as far back as the IRS can go to correct an error.

I keep a digital and a hard copy of all my tax returns. Period. After seven years I toss most of the supporting data, but I keep a copy of the return. Until I die or the end of the world. Which ever occurs first.

Why seven years? Other than tax fraud, which I don't do, that is about as far back as the IRS can go to correct an error.
I stopped printing out my taxes several years ago but I thought I had the digital copies! Well, it's okay now because the reconstruction was fairly quick and easy. I now have digital copies in two of my hard drives (one an SSD drive). But I'm wondering if that glitch happened (not being able to find the program in my main external drives, then my return not showing up when I finally accessed it) had something to do with me downloading the 2022 program instead of using a disk. It shouldn't but that's the only difference I can think of as to why this happened for the very first time since I've been using H & R Block tax programs, which is at least 7 years.

I stopped printing out my taxes several years ago but I thought I had the digital copies! Well, it's okay now because the reconstruction was fairly quick and easy. I now have digital copies in two of my hard drives (one an SSD drive). But I'm wondering if that glitch happened (not being able to find the program in my main external drives, then my return not showing up when I finally accessed it) had something to do with me downloading the 2022 program instead of using a disk. It shouldn't but that's the only difference I can think of as to why this happened for the very first time since I've been using H & R Block tax programs, which is at least 7 years.

I download TurboTax every year and then copy it to an external hard drive. The tax software should have been in the computer somewhere, unless it’s a free version.

Not that I'm any help with electronic devices what-so-ever, I have a paper trail for everything. I don't use "smart" anything in my house and don't store anything important on devices. I don't trust them to be supported long term, and when their program is updated, stupid things seem to happen.

Not that I'm any help with electronic devices what-so-ever, I have a paper trail for everything. I don't use "smart" anything in my house and don't store anything important on devices. I don't trust them to be supported long term, and when their program is updated, stupid things seem to happen.
"and when their program is updated, stupid things seem to happen." Ain't THAT the truth! I have a friend like you...she absolutely hates all this tech stuff and won't do anything like banking or even downloading apps on her phone and tablet. I'm just the opposite. After testing the waters several years ago, I began to trust more, but realize that things can still go sideways.

Back