I have watched a disabled squirrel,

hawkdon

outside for a few weeks now.....don't know how he became that way but he tends
to move more sideways than straight ahead...and sometimes flops over for a
second or two....he seems to be getting enuff food and such, so guess he will be
fine, cept maybe for this winter coming on......

People eat squirrel in my neck of the woods. Once a year we have squirrel cook-off's for the best tasting recipe. Rabies are just about nonexistent in squirrel. They can be very friendly and I’ve had them eating from my shoulder.

I've always been stunned how animals will continue to fight to survive. I've seen crows with one foot, or toes missing. Even a small sparrow missing his foot, but a stump for one leg.

Dogs with one or even two legs missing. Look at their eyes, you see bright energy still there. Cats, missing kegs, tails (our one cat was stripped of tail by coyote) even saw one doe with neck damage still running around.

https://youtube.com/shorts/DQQQuNwjzw0?feature=share. (only for strong viewers)

The poem by D. H. Lawrence is so fitting.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

One morning on my way to work I saw a little black and white cat stumbling around, he was near a road and I thought a car might have hit him. Myself and another passerby were trying to get the cat to come nearer to us so we could see if he was badly hurt and possibly rescue him and take him to a nearby vet. A lady came running out of some nearby flats and said thanks but the cat is fine. Apparently he had survived an accident years ago and was okay even though he didn't look it. I had to smile when she said that the local vet was always phoning her to say that her cat had been rescued again. It is amazing how well animals cope with the loss of limbs etc.

Back