I just found this forum...

Sallyb1956

I am new to South Carolina, I moved from Michigan to be closer to my two young grandsons. That was in March, now I am wondering if I made the right move.

The thing is, I have involved myself into some local groups, but there doesn't seem to be any connections. The culture is so different here, and my sarcastic sense of humor here does not work. I used to develop friendships at work, so now I am looking for some part time work to socialize and to earn some much needed cash. I am just plain lonely!

Hi Sally

Welcome101a.jpg
Welcome from London England

Hi my name is Sam, I live in Lincoln Lincolnshire - UK, I took early retirement from my day job and just carried on my private business on a part-time basis, so can enjoy my hobbies and stay busy. I have a wide scope of hobbies to mention a few: serious photography, gardening, cooking the list is long .. but my peaceful time is when I am listening to my music.

The thing is, I have involved myself into some local groups, but there doesn't seem to be any connections. The culture is so different here, and my sarcastic sense of humor here does not work. I used to develop friendships at work, so now I am looking for some part time work to socialize and to earn some much needed cash. I am just plain lonely!
Hi Sally
Welcome from Lincoln UK welcome 1.jpeg

It takes time to fit in. just be yourself and reach out to others. You say your lonely but what about your grandsons and your children. That's certainly fulfilling, in and of itself, if you're taking them on outings, exploring, reading to them, teaching them to cook for themselves, spending time listening, etc

Welcome to SF, come on in, the water's fine 😂
8099efbe55475ab93639c366c386ee92.gif

Last edited:
Southern charm and courtesy is nowhere to be found in most of the north. Born & raised in Chicago I moved to Mississippi for two years then to Texas. My work took me all over the north and north east and the Toronto area. I always made certain to compare the cultures and found a lot of negatives about the north. It is not my opinion but factual. I was listening to a Houston radio show with a transplant from the north on the air and he was freaking out about how friendly people were in Houston compared to his home town. Some say the difference can in part be placed with the cold weather making people a little more abrupt i.e. "let's cut the chat and go inside." I would have to agree with that. Stay put Sally1956 you will not regret it, But if a Hurricane is approaching and you are in it's path get out of the area. Don't try to sit it out. Good luck.

Hi Sally welcome ,glad you found us
Whenever you are feeling down,stop here,we'll try to cheer you up give you advice on what's troubling you
Sue in Buffalo,NY

Back