I now have $60 per quarter grocery benefits without having applied for them, with Medicare Advantage. Standard?

I called up my Medicare Advantage plan to ask how much drug store over-the-counter benefits I had left, and they informed me I now
also have $60 per quarter for groceries. I didn't complain, just accepted the fact. :)

Is it standard to get grocery bens without even applying? I am over 65, maybe that's why I got them.

Anyone know?

Thanks

I did an online search and what I found is the following:

• The Medicare Grocery Benefit is typically an option for select D-SNP or C-SNP beneficiaries.
  • Some traditional Medicare Advantage plans also offer a Medicare Grocery Benefit.
  • Some insurers that offer a Medicare Grocery Benefit are Humana, Aetna, United HealthCare, Florida Blue and Blue Shield California.
Some health conditions that qualify members for the Grocery Plus benefit include:

• Cancer
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Diabetes
  • Hypertension
  • Kidney disease
  • End-stage liver disease
  • Depression
  • Obesity
  • Arthritis
  • An autoimmune disorder
https://www.retireguide.com/medicare/medicare-advantage-plans/grocery-benefit/#:~:text=The Medicare Grocery Benefit is,Blue and Blue Shield California.

I called up my Medicare Advantage plan to ask how much drug store over-the-counter benefits I had left, and they informed me I now
also have $60 per quarter for groceries. I didn't complain, just accepted the fact. :)

Is it standard to get grocery bens without even applying? I am over 65, maybe that's why I got them.

Anyone know?

Thanks
Looks like a bonus to me. ☺️

Yes, a nice-to-have bonus ! They told me in the last week of March that I had to use up $60 by March 31, and I would get another $60 reloaded onto the card April 1.

I used up the $60, then around April 5 I tried to use the card and it got declined. Hmmm. Called up the 800 number on the card (a third party place, not my actual health insurance) and they said I ought to have the $60 on the card again, and they would check into it, highest priority, etc.

Now April 14 and card still not working. Will have to wait and see. Well, at least I got $60 out of it, before it got hosed up, lol.

Easy come, easy go (except for the fact that the third party place is still going to get the $60 form Uncle Sam, I expect. Hmmm. So I'm possibly not saving anybody any money except the third party place, if I don't get the $60. Taxpayers still out another $60).

We had $500 last year with Aetna Ins...I did not apply for it, they contacted me...Used it mainly for gas and prescriptions..We also used it to pay a $314 Electric bill...

We have not heard anything for 2023...

@Knight,
We have $75.00 each to be used for medical supplies per quarter using Medicare/United Healthcare. Here too, it becomes difficult to spend it!

Yes, I also have $75 per quarter for 'drug store' OTC items.

I was making sure I used it all up before 3/31/2023. I bought a liitle more than $75, to make sure I used it all up, and was expecting to have to pay with cash for whatever overage I had.
But the card paid for everything. Turns out, it just went over to the food side of the system, and took it out of that. Which is probably a computer glitch. I am starting to think I was added to the food benefit side due to a software glitch, lol.

I've seen things like this advertised and assumed it was either a scam or to get people to click then be taken to an unrelated ad or something. Since Aetna is listed, I'll have to call my plan and see if they include grocery benefits. I'm wondering if there is an income limit?

I rec've $92 a quarter for OTC drugs and things. No way can I use it all. A lot of the drugs are the store brand (CVS)
They do have a blood pressure monitor at a very reduced price I was thinking of buying.

The one item I use most but I don't see that it's offered is the Bayer 81mg I could use for my nightly pill regimen.
But, I'm stocked w/Covid tests just in case....

We have Medicare Advantage with BC/BS on Montana. We each get $50 each quarter for OTC items from their catalog. Its getting hard to find items we need. WE also get $25 to $50 for getting annual physicals. etc.

I rec've $92 a quarter for OTC drugs and things. No way can I use it all. A lot of the drugs are the store brand (CVS)
They do have a blood pressure monitor at a very reduced price I was thinking of buying.

The one item I use most but I don't see that it's offered is the Bayer 81mg I could use for my nightly pill regimen.
But, I'm stocked w/Covid tests just in case....
google this
cvs 81 mg aspirin

store brand is just as good as Bayer.

google this
cvs 81 mg aspirin

store brand is just as good as Bayer.
I may consider going w/the store brand, it's just that I always prefer the brand name when it comes to my heart medication.
Generic drugs generally make my heart race. Don't know if that applies to aspirin.

Original poster here. The $60 per quarter grocery benefit went away when the April 1 quarter began. I called up my ins co and they said the $60 ben I had gotten was a mistake on their part ! I didn't ask if they wanted the $60 back, ha ha, and they didn't say anything about it, either.

I hope they don't deduct it from my OTC medicine money. I will find out July 1, when it is supposed to get another $75.

My husband and I each get $75 quarterly to spend on OTC medications and supplies. We have AETNA. Everything comes from CVS drugstore. So a lot of it is their brands.

Like others have said, it gets difficult to spend that when neither one of us use that much OTC medication or supplies.

The last time I ordered I got a lot of first aid supplies to give my daughter for her first aid kit.

We don't have $60.00 for groceries in our advantage plan but we do have $105.00 each every quarter for medical related supplies. Believe it or not it's getting pretty difficult to spend $105.00 each every quarter.
My insurance actually covers the bulk of my prescribed 'medical supplies', CPAP machine, the filters, hoses and masks. However it also gives $100.00 per quarter for OTC meds and non prescription supplies. While these things are sometimes slightly more expensive than in the stores it does allow me to get my multivitamins, supplements and first aid supplies, with nothing out of pocket.

i've also been able to get good quality 'diabetic' compression socks. While i'm not diabetic i've long found these more comfortable and the quality of the ones they carry is better (longer lasting before holes) than anything i've ever gotten in stores.

Have a Pulse Oximeter i got thru their OTC online Pharmacy--it measures pulse and blood oxygen level. The wrist cuff Blood Pressure machine i got from them lasted about 9 years. Not bad for something i didn't lay out cash to buy. i've replaced with one that uses cuff on upper arm that i did buy commercially. But because of what i save on my regular OTC stuff it wasn't a problem.

Last edited:
Huh, I don't get anything extra from my Aetna...course
I just have standard scription ins from them...maybe better
check this out closer this year....
I keep meaning to call Aetna about the grocery benefit but if it's income based, I probably get too much to qualify. And perhaps they feel their plan is so good that it saves money in other ways. :unsure:

@feywon I get free diabetic supplies and have gotten a free blood pressure machine from Aetna. They also sent this very nice health "care package" during the pandemic. That's two purple masks in the back.

20201031_093717.jpg

Last edited:
@StarSong I'm with Kaiser, too, and get $150/quarter on the grocery card. I was told that it's because I was diagnosed with medical conditions that require healthy foods. The card only covers healthy foods...nothing such as potato chips or sweets or cured meats, etc. We're talking about low fat/no fat, veggies, fruit.

My brother is with Humana and gets $90/month on his grocery card.

The amount varies among carriers and probably varies depending on ailments and their seriousness.

Huh, I don't get anything extra from my Aetna...course
I just have standard scription ins from them...maybe better
check this out closer this year....
Every fall i get mail from various Ins Companies and calls from places that kind of act like agents (but they have to get a lot of personal info to find best deal for you--so i'd be leery of those--might sell your name, phone number to other places). But you can also find out a lot on your own.

Start by calling your Ins. Company and ask if they have a 'medicare advantage' plan. With my Humana having the medicare advantage meant i didn't have to list anything other than Humana as my insurance and my providers don't have to file claims with both the Insurance Company and Medicare--the Ins Co takes care of that. Most of these 'extras' are usually part of a medicare advantage plan.

I keep meaning to call Aetna about the grocery benefit but if it's income based, I probably get too much to qualify. And perhaps they feel their plan is so good that it saves money in other ways. :unsure:

@feywon I get free diabetic supplies and have gotten a free blood pressure machine from Aetna. They also sent this very nice health "care package" during the pandemic. That's two purple masks in the back.

View attachment 290070
During the pandemic Humana sent masks with orders i made using my OTC 'allowance.

We keep first aid supplies in both house and car. And since i have to put drops in my eyes once a day everyday i use the small alcohol squares to be sure my fingertips clean and outside of bottle so i don't transfer anything but the drops themselves into my eyes. So it's nice to be able to stock up on things with virtually no exp. date.

Back