I received second bill for the same medical services

I received a medical bill for which I wrote a check and sent almost 2 weeks ago. Today I received another bill for the same services. I called the doctor's office and they said they never received the payment. I called the bank and indeed the check has not been cashed. What should I do?

Depend on size of payment. My bank charges a lot for cancelling a check. If it is a doctor you see regularly and a routine charge, I'd send second check. Then if first check turns up, you will have just paid a little in advance.

My bank charges a lot for cancelling a check

Last I knew, mine did too. I would actually let the doctor office know that I did send it, and that now I want to wait to see if they receive it, delayed by the mail.
I don't see why a doctor office would not be willing to wait, at least another 2 weeks, in this situation.

I worked for a doctors office and I can tell you, billing systems are not the greatest. Being that the check has not been cashed, I would pay again and if they happen to cash the first check, I would request a refund.

I worked for a doctors office and I can tell you, billing systems are not the greatest. Being that the check has not been cashed, I would pay again and if they happen to cash the first check, I would request a refund.
The best reply since you won't be out anything financially

When I mailed it, I dropped it in the outside mailbox at the post office since it was on a Sunday. That afternoon and into Monday, we had a 20 inch snowfall. I don't know what that would have to do with getting lost in the mail, but I stopped today when the window at the PO was open and asked. The clerk said because it wasn't a registered letter, there was no way to trace it.

When I mailed it, I dropped it in the outside mailbox at the post office since it was on a Sunday. That afternoon and into Monday, we had a 20 inch snowfall. I don't know what that would have to do with getting lost in the mail, but I stopped today when the window at the PO was open and asked. The clerk said because it wasn't a registered letter, there was no way to trace it.
Since you were out why not stop in at your doctors office instead of the PO, pay the bill then do as ladybj suggested in post #6.

I'm not making a 60 mile round-trip just to plunk down $24.
Without knowing the distance it was only a suggestion. The better suggestion was by ladybj in post #6. Actually I can't imagine paying a bill or invoice with a check. Everything we do is with a credit card at the time of service or with online banking. I like instant documentation when paying for something.

I agree with Knight. The easiest and most economical (and safest) way to pay for things like this is a debit or card. Instant documentation of payment. And you don't have to worry about a check of yours being out there falling into the wrong hands to be either "washed" or duplicated.

Deb, join the 21st century and get a debit card/credit card and save yourself a lot of grief and hassle.

The check I wrote in November cleared on December 30th. The one I wrote in December just cleared on January 15th. It's like a six week gap when I submit a check until the doctor's office cashes it. Now I have paid twice for the same service. I called yesterday and inquired about having the extra payment as a credit. Whomever I talked to said, "Can you hold?" and before I could say yes or no, she clicked off. I waited 10 minutes and she never came back. Sheessshh...

Back