I want to write....!

Pete

**To see this posting with related photographs please click here to jump to my Wordpress blog.
This posting was written because I haven't written any posting for over a month and with no one to
talk with have put my feeling to words.....

I want to write
….about the time my son and I drove the treacherous Dalton highway in Alaska to the top of the world. Thinking back to that moment when we stopped at the top of Atigun pass, (Alaska's highest mountain pass), and thought it would be a great place for a picture. Only problem as you can see from our painful expressions in the photograph it was brutally cold atop that mountain.

I want to write
….about life in the 'new world' well my new world anyway. I know some would find it interesting that I could go from being comfortable at -20 to living at +98. Plus learning to adjust to living where your nearest neighbor was no more than 20 feet away when for decades they were over a mile away.

I want to write
….about fishing a crystal clear remote Alaskan stream so far from civilization that your phone and radio have stopped working.

I want to write
….about a government filled with people that because they lost an election are willing to spend tens of millions of tax dollars to tarnish the name of our President, just because they are afraid of loosing to him in 2020.

I want to write
….about a 73 year old body that refuses to act like it did only a few years ago in the wilderness of Alaska. A body that finds new and inventive ways to radiate pain all over its currently disintegrating frame.

I want to write
….about the thoughts that permeate this old man on a daily basis and are like a dark cloud blocking out the sunshine of a life in an earlier day.

I want to write
….about the thousands of American citizens and veterans who are homeless and in need of medical help they can not afford and the millions of illegal's crossing our borders every year who get both free housing and medical help.

And lastly
I want to write
about the frustration
of not being able to be physically a part
of my grandchildren's lives
or to understand why
I worry every day
about my grown children
that they are safe and happy.

Hey Pete——I often wondered if you, me, whoever, were out in the wilderness so far remote that our phones and radio didn’t work, did you ever consider being attacked by predators, not the human type, but animal? I am sure that you probably carry a weapon, but what if you were attacked by multiple predators, for instance; a pack of wolves, (probably wouldn’t happen) or a couple of bears?

I wanted to see the top of the world, too but did it the chicken way. I took a touristy excursion flight from Fairbanks to Barrow. It was more interesting than pretty. My flight returning to Fairbanks began in Prudhoe Bay and I enjoyed talking with several young oil workers ending their shifts and returning to Fairbanks.

Yeah, I understand that, but what if you were attacked by multiple predators at the same time? Can that happen?
I imagine, in some regions.
Where I've been there were no packs, at least no wolf packs.
Coyotes, yes, and they're no longer afraid.
They do scatter at the report of a large caliber.
Only came across cougars and bear, one on one, and they were skittish.
I can't speak about where Pete, and my son were.
Primitive there is quite primitive.
I'd be packin' nothing less than a 357, and/or a short barrel 12 gauge pump (of which I have).
Something that readily repeats.
Gotta give yerself a chance.

Hey Pete——I often wondered if you, me, whoever, were out in the wilderness so far remote that our phones and radio didn’t work, did you ever consider being attacked by predators, not the human type, but animal? I am sure that you probably carry a weapon, but what if you were attacked by multiple predators, for instance; a pack of wolves, (probably wouldn’t happen) or a couple of bears?
This guy and his girlfriend were attacked and killed by a very vicious bear that terrorized all the other bears in Alaska. All it takes is one vicious and strong animal, but, of course, smaller animals depend on group hunting, like coyotes and wolves. The story of Timothy Treadwell is very interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

It's funny you should mention the wolves but the answer is yes and I just posted on my WordPress blog a short incident about a number of wolf packs surrounding a ranch in Alaska... I have had black bears trashing my entryway food storage and have met a number during the spring bear hunts I worked on in the 90's. Click here to try my 'Alaskan wolf tale' at my blog.

Yeah if only I could cut through the haze and get my --- in gear.
It'll come
If yer like me, you can't press it.....no epiphany to use...no poignancy
Just descriptive memory, that's pretty much a pain to read.

But...when it does come, yer married to the keyboard, and can't type fast enough.
2AM is just a time on the clock.
Mealtime comes and goes.
Coffee has no taste, but is a needful booster.
I call it the ability to relive the moment, the exhilaration, the scattered, and type those adjectives into adventure.

Hell, when I do that, no matter the hours it takes, I enjoy rereading while proofing, and rereading again.
Then, and only then, I know it's good.

Pete, read below about Will Atkin's killing 11 wolves, charging him. A link to Oxbow Lodge tells of his career as a trapper and hunting guide.

"Eleven of his - wolves were shot in a matter of minutes - perhaps seconds. "

"He was moving from one camp to another at the time and thus had both his .35 Winchester rifle and .38 pistol with him. He heard a pack of wolves coming his way and hurried into a nearby opening in the woods, where tracks indicated that the wolves were following some caribou that had recently passed through. "

"He had just taken off his pack and pulled out his pistol when the wolves ran into the clearing. His shouts at the animals slowed their progress towards him only momentarily."

"He dropped to one knee so that he could put his bullets through more than one wolf at a time, and succeeded in hitting "double" several times. The last of the wolves was shot within a range of a few feet. Altogether, a total of only seven shots were fired."

"They thought they were master of their job, but I knew damn well I was master of mine," Will later commented about the wolves. A lifelong experience as a woodsman was doubtless the source of his cool-self confidence."

Last edited:
Pete, don't let yourself get side-tracked....keep on writing! When you need inspiration, sit in front of an open refridgerator....or in the Winter, write outdoors! Whatever works.

better-writer-graphic.png

Pete-were anticipating you writing and your adventures. Eagerly anticipating!
Write!

Gary O's post # 14, speaks to the addictive nature of writing.
Before this infernal machine (PC) I filled spiral notebooks with my gibberish.
It was a venting of an emotion, difficult to explain. Gibberish to you, good stuff to me' my words-my 'stuff' good!

Gary's emotive of what can occur is a 'true thing.'
When my words begin to flow-finding that state where you are totally involved in the words and you know there good words: lines, sentences, expressions you've been seeking, but did not know how to get there.

Your transported into another world, time-Ha, what is time-no there is no
other time but THis Time!

Meanderer, Post 19
Sit in front of an open refrigerator-indeed. Clever, clever
Folks like Gary O, Meanderer post 'must read' 'stuff' (There are several other
in this group.)
They've trapped themselves, if they don't post memorable 'stuff' were
disappointed. I've yet to find one yet, that was not well worth the read. am curious about their consistency

That Post 19 of write, write, write, is the most'est good advice your going to find.

See, Meanderer posted an ugly (22), he knowed it. See how he draped his avatar in black, he knows he done wrong. Bet he wears one them little skinny caps too.
Get them wolves we was a talking about, I got sum'pin they need to naw on.

Back