I Wish New People Who Register Would Post Something in Their Profiles About Themselves

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I often look at the profiles of brand new members under the About section and nothing appears too often. It would be nice to know just a little something about them. Can anything be done to suggest to them to say something about themselves when they register? It would be nice to know just a little... (y) ;) ✨🐸

I'd like to know if they are male or female. (Or whatever gender these days.) It's easier to frame a conversation if you have a few clues. :D
Nice post, Sir.
peppermint-patty.jpg

I can understand folks being guarded about posting ways that might specifically identify who they are on the internet.

I go back & forth on it myself.
I've felt that way, too. I did put some basics, too, though in my profile. It's up to them what to put. There are just so many people who put nothing now-a-days and I was trying to encourage to put just a little something.

I've felt that way, too. I did put some basics, too, though in my profile. It's up to them what to put. There are just so many people who put nothing now-a-days and I was trying to encourage to put just a little something.
I agree.

I've gone back through some folk's posts to figure out their gender so I could have a context for what they're saying and could respond appropriately.

Honestly, I think there are a ton of people who either don't think about it, who don't know about it, or who lack the skills to find it and remediate it.

I'm on a car owner's forum, and the profile software has a place to put your location and the Year/Model of the vehicle so there's a frame of reference for the requests for help. Lots of members (mostly young-to-middle aged guys) have no idea there's anything beyond Username/Password.

I mean I'm not really from Lurksville but some of you know I'm from Kansas. But I draw the line at telling you where I am in Kansas.

I mean I'm not really from Lurksville but some of you know I'm from Kansas. But I draw the line at telling you where I am in Kansas.
Actually, I put my general location in my profile. I don't know what harm it will do, and if anyone really cares, they can go through posts and figure it out. Or they can capture it for each of us as they encounter little clues.

If you told us you were from Lenexa, I'm not certain what anyone could do with that data.

Regarding "facts or fiction," I think I would rather have a lie than no data at all regarding gender. At least I would not be left guessing.

At least gender if it's not obvious.
Right.

But even "obvious" might be a lie. Of course, I just described what much of the real world's like these days. ;)

edit to add: I've seen members talk about things happening near them in the news and have been able to deduce not only the town they live in but what part of that town their homes are. I wouldn't say so in writing, but the clues are not that hard to decipher if you even care to try.

us ain't detectives (pause) maybe some of us is
I'm waiting with trepidation the first post from a nursing home.
Keep the old farts occupied...poor buggers they have nothing left to conceal.

Back