If You Could Bring Someone Back to Life, Would You?

Phoenix

Mahogany-brown eyes gazed back at me from across the table. Aaron's eyes. Sipping rosé I absorbed his soul, drawing it unto my own, hoping somehow to keep it there forever. Shades of love wavered in from the past, shades I had known as experience transformed illusions into reality.

Fractured by violence and the indifference of others, including a condemning husband, I had grown from a young woman with hope to one of vulnerabilities. Mid all the heartache, time I spent with Aaron helped more than anything else. He cared enough to take time to listen, to be there as best he could.

We shared fishing trips to the mountains, intellectual conversations invoking mental gymnastics, concerns about personal and family issues and lovemaking in unusual places. During the years we had known each other, our love grew into an inner connection, an interweaving.

On that day in the pizza parlor over thirty years ago I came to know the tapestry would remain incomplete. I needed to end the illicit relationship and design a life with someone who could be there full-time. It fractured my heart, as well as his, to do so. Years later when I learned of his death I, again, experienced the loss. He was gone from this life, permanently.

But is permanence, permanent? What if it's not? So, I'm asking you, if you could resurrect a lost sweetheart so you could be with him or her again, if you could return life to someone who had lost theirs, would you? Yes, no, maybe, I don't know...these are plausible answers.

Honestly, there are circumstances under which I would consider it. Maybe you would too. There are people I miss, those taken from this reality prematurely, as well as those I could have loved better, those who could have taught me more just by being themselves and those I cherish. If I had to the power to fix that, I just might. This was especially true when I was younger.

When we are young we believe in fairytale solutions. We will grow up strong and proud. The tools we use to sculpt our lives will generate our most desired outcomes. All the choices we make will be the right ones. Even if bad things happen, we know we are smart enough to emerge on the other side of these catastrophes unscathed.

So it is in our dreams. We are certain this will continue to be true as our lives blossom before us. What we don't realize during our youth is that there are no abracadabra solutions. Oh, in our inexperience we don't call them that, but it is a correct label, nonetheless.

We are confident that those whose lives do not turn out as they hope, just don't plan correctly. They do not have the savvy, the inner fortitude, the looks or destiny that we possess. Our inexperience and naivete lead us to believe we will prevail against all comers. When insecurity and contradictions hit we push them aside.

Then life happens. It becomes more personal, more subjective, and we become the proverbial I. That which I planned didn't work. I try again. Again, it doesn't work, or it's only partially successful.

People I encounter do not adhere to my ways of thinking. These other people fail to be even slightly compliant. As it turns out, they have their own ideas which seem valid to them. Imagine that. They are wrong, of course. I am right, and I "know" it.

I become sure that if these misguided individuals could only see their mistakes in discernment, they could find their own true way. They don't, but neither do I, at least some of the time. I try other solutions. The results are similar even though the circumstances have been altered. The changes I make do not implement the expected outcomes.

Fretting about the way things can go so haywire, I nurse disillusionment and despair. To pull myself out of the rut I take a class, go to church or to bars and/or engage in one fling after another. I employ my favorite crutch, consider alternative solutions and try them.

The solutions seem to be working, when all at once someone I care about does something which harshly impacts my life. There is no way I can avoid it. I cry out to God, the universe or an empty room for relief.

Time passes. Nothing happens. I slosh on as life's ocean sucks me under, wave after wave. In an inkling, in a time and a way I did not anticipate, a stranger appears. He is kind, concerned and offers sympathy when others have abandoned me.

That's truly how it happened for me. I met Aaron four months after my brother committed his crimes. My husband at the time was ashamed of me for what my brother had done. He forbid me to tell his old-money family.

My entire support system, including my huge extended family, deflated like a soufflé during an earthquake. My brother was charged with murder. As I navigated the undercurrents of the legal system and functioned as my parents' life vests, I was tugged into the whirlpool.

Never during my youth could I have imagined my life would morph into this kind of horror. Going under in a turbulence not of my making, I took the hand Aaron offered. Over a period of two-and-a-half-years, he and I developed a friendship. He, too, was married. Friendship blossomed into more.

As I had anticipated at its inception, this relationship created its own separate issues. After six-and-a-half-years of friendship I decided I needed to end the affair, dismantling my haven of comfort. Still shattered by the murders, I divorced my husband and charted a new direction.

When I learned of Aaron's death, it had an unsettling impact on me. To work it through I decided to create a work of fiction whereby he and I could resurrect our relationship and be together. Thus, my novel, Resurrection Rose, became a reality, evolving into the second book in a series.

To lighten the tale I employed the crazy old women from the first in the series. They plopped themselves into the protagonist's life at unlikely times and in ways which were not necessarily welcome.

In this story Bethanie, a professional portrait artist, paints people back to life. She just doesn't know it until they start showing up. While attempting to make sense of her skills, she runs into her former lover, Gabe. A gutsy gal, Bethanie risks further heartache by resurrecting their once forbidden love...along with Gabe's deceased grandfather. When she and Gabe catch Gramps fooling around with one of Bethanie's deceased relatives, Bethanie is propelled into a world peopled by nosy, old dead women insistent on helping her abilities unfold and transforming her into something she had no idea she already was. The old women knew, like old women sometimes do.

By the time the book was complete, I had worked through Aaron's death.

We live in the core of creation. We are that creation, the initial products as well as the creator. So again, my question to you is, if you could paint someone back into your life, no matter the implements used to create this new reality, would you?

The answer is contingent on many variables. As in other aspects of our lives, anything could run amok at any time and turn our plateaus into sinkholes. One of the ways to resolve this conundrum is to realize that life is an experiment with multiple possibilities. Some we can control, but most we can't. When the waves hit and bowl us over, we can learn to swim parallel to the shoreline and allow those waves to carry us back to beach rather than fight them and drown.

C'est Moi, true, and I agree, but some people die before they've had a chance at life...like those who die as babies, or those who die of cancer at young age. I had a boyfriend who did.

Hmm, this post brings back old pain, my chest clinches a little as I reply, and tears, which rarely form, form now. I am sorry if my post causes anyone pain. Perhaps you should not read this if you have a gentle nature.

Our only birth son was born 12/25 and died 12/27. I had eclampsia. He was rushed to intensive care at a children's hospital. I wish he had waited to die until I could have seen him. I wish, in those days, they had taken pictures. I would love a picture of him. I wish all his baby things had not been removed from my home. If wishes were horses, sigh.

Our second son was a foster-adopt situation. (We were foster parents for 35 plus years.) His mother had left him in a dumpster. His father already in prison for life. She got life as well for a variety of crimes. He died of SIDS at six weeks. That day I had taken him to the doc. Said his breathing was funny. Doc said he was fine.

Our third son was again a foster adopt situation. He was born with severe hydrocephalus. His parents sued the doctor for wrongful life and sighed him over to the state. He was hospitalized after he was placed with us because he couldn't stay warm. We learned he was a brain stem child. This mean he was blind, deaf, etc. He died in a nursing home at the age of 11 months.

No. I would not bring them back. But they are remembered and loved. It's all any of us can hope for.

I would bring my grandparents back in a second. Both were more like real parents to me than my actual parents and I'd love to have more time with them, especially my Grandfather who died when I was 16.

I would bring my brother back whom I lost when I was 19. He would have been 21 in a few months. Because of how we were raised I didn’t get to know him well but I am getting to know my other brother well now, which is a blessing in itself.

Hmm, this post brings back old pain, my chest clinches a little as I reply, and tears, which rarely form, form now. I am sorry if my post causes anyone pain. Perhaps you should not read this if you have a gentle nature.

Our only birth son was born 12/25 and died 12/27. I had eclampsia. He was rushed to intensive care at a children's hospital. I wish he had waited to die until I could have seen him. I wish, in those days, they had taken pictures. I would love a picture of him. I wish all his baby things had not been removed from my home. If wishes were horses, sigh.

Our second son was a foster-adopt situation. (We were foster parents for 35 plus years.) His mother had left him in a dumpster. His father already in prison for life. She got life as well for a variety of crimes. He died of SIDS at six weeks. That day I had taken him to the doc. Said his breathing was funny. Doc said he was fine.

Our third son was again a foster adopt situation. He was born with severe hydrocephalus. His parents sued the doctor for wrongful life and sighed him over to the state. He was hospitalized after he was placed with us because he couldn't stay warm. We learned he was a brain stem child. This mean he was blind, deaf, etc. He died in a nursing home at the age of 11 months.

No. I would not bring them back. But they are remembered and loved. It's all any of us can hope for.
My heart goes out to you :heart:

I would bring back my mother and my older brother for a day, just long enough to update them on what's been happening in the world/family since their departure. Then we'd eat a nice dinner and I'd let them go back to restful peace.

Last edited:

Very sad story Aneeda, you had a lot of heartache. :(

I would try and bring back my brother and sister who died way too young and never had the chance to enjoy (or even reach) their golden years like I'm doing.

No, I certainly wouldn't. "To everything there is a season."

and a reason.

I feel bad when a person dies at a very young age but bringing them back is no assurance of a happy life for them or for us.

I agree with this. While it would be nice to bring a loved one back, I believe that the universe has a purpose and everything happens for a reason. Being mere mortals, we don’t see the bigger picture so need to have faith that it happrned for a reason greater than ourselves.

I'd bring my old man back. So I could beat the crap out of him. SOB died when I was 9 and too little to do it then.

Most definitely my sweet dog who passed almost 4 months ago, that I can't get over, my cats, & my mother and father.

I'm sorry to hear this, Cindy. I remember you posting about your sweet dog about a year ago, but I missed learning that he or she had passed away. My condolences. It's really hard.

Hi Trade,

WOW, that's a heavy burden to carry around for so long. I kinda wish it could happen so you could gain some closure. Although, I think closure is a myth.

My mother is 94 and, hopefully, will die before I do.

But since neither place in the afterlife will take her, she will live forever. I am afraid that even the ground would spit her out so she will be cremated. No zombie mom nightmares for me! This is not the place to go onto what she did to me, what dad did to me, the haunting horror of my childhood.

I wish you peace and, perhaps someday, you and I, and everyone else can lay down these childhood burdens and be free.

I've lost a few family members, young and old... but I'd love to bring my mother back. She died young (in her 30's).. because she had a horrible life at the hands of my evil father, so I would love to have her back to be able to give her the good life she deserved and never experienced..

I would definitely bring back the seven I lost. I can't, but do see them often in dreams. Usually, they do nothing but be there with me. Sometimes, they are main characters. I see at least one every night. No consolation though. I wake up and miss them and how very aware I am of how different life would be with even one of them. Each death took away a piece of me. The seven are irreplaceable.

Hi Trade,

WOW, that's a heavy burden to carry around for so long. I kinda wish it could happen so you could gain some closure. Although, I think closure is a myth.

My mother is 94 and, hopefully, will die before I do.

But since neither place in the afterlife will take her, she will live forever. I am afraid that even the ground would spit her out so she will be cremated. No zombie mom nightmares for me! This is not the place to go onto what she did to me, what dad did to me, the haunting horror of my childhood.

I wish you peace and, perhaps someday, you and I, and everyone else can lay down these childhood burdens and be free.

I think I might have given people the wrong idea with my post. My old man wasn't abusive. I just didn't fit his fantasy of what a son of his should be like. I was a shy introvert and he was a self promoting narcissistic extrovert. So he took no interest in me at all. I felt like he was disappointed and embarrassed by me.

Here's an example of what I am talking about.

scan0157.jpg

Above is a photo of my Old Man's with his Little League team. My old man is the tall dude on the left. He was the manager. The other dude on the right was the assistant manager. They won the Clearwater Florida City Championship that year. I'm not in this picture, because I didn't play on that team. 1955 was the first year that Clearwater Florida had Little league baseball. And at that time the age limit was 8 through 12. And I was one of the youngest at 8.

I wasn't all that interested in baseball at the time because my old man had never lifted a finger to teach me how to play. He had bought me this fancy $20 glove when I was about 3 years old. It was a Ted Williams model. $20 bucks was a lot of money in 1950. But I do not remember him once playing catch with me or pitching to me. But when the start of Little league was announced I found out that my old man was going to be one of the Team Managers. So I went down to the tryouts.

I don't think I'd ever held a baseball bat before, but I went up to the plate and there was this bigger kid about 11 or 12 pitching and he struck me out in three pitches. Then they put me out in the outfield and someone hit a fly ball my way and I had never a fly ball hit to me before either and it went over my head. So that was the end of tryouts and the end of my Little league career.

I still wanted to play so a friend of mine named Phillip Clapp and I would practice in our back yard. My old man would never practice with me though. He was always too busy. But he spent a lot of time working with his little league team. And he would take me to a lot of games because he was scouting the competition. So I learned how to play and Phillip and I got much better practicing by ourselves. But my old man just wasn't interested.

I remember begging him to pitch to me so I could learn how to hit a fastball. But in all that time he only pitched to me once. And I'm not talking about a batting practice session. Nope. Just one pitch. A fast ball. He really hummed one in there and I swung and I hit a good solid ground ball back at him. So hard that he couldn't handle it. It went right by him. And my old man was pretty good. I remember one time he was filling in as third base coach for a pony league team. That's older kids, I think the ages were 13-16. Anyway this one kid hit a sizzling line drive foul ball down the third base right at the third base coaching box. And my old man just stuck out his bare hand and speared that thing like it was nothing. It was dammed impressive.

So anyway, back to my ground ball. I was pretty impressed with myself because like I said my old man had really burned one in with that pitch. I figured he would be impressed to and pitch some more to me. But no, he had someplace else to be so he left after throwing me one frickin pitch. One godd*mned pitch. That's how much batting practice my old man gave me in my entire life. Thanks Dad.

Anyway, I never played any organized little league. Just back yard stuff with my friends. I did try out again the next year but I didn't hack it then either. Truth was I was a shy kid and while I could play pretty decent with my friend in the neighborhood I got rattled pretty easy when there were a bunch of people watching plus the bench jockeying was intense back then. I mean the other team would be razzing the Hell out of the batter trying to mess with his head and on me that was very effective. I just froze up.

Anyway back to that picture. Notice that there are only 14 players in that picture. Back then the limit for a little league team was 15. But my old man managed to take his team all the way to the city championship with just 14 players.

I never noticed that until years later.

When his team won the city championship they had a team banquet at the Ft. Harrison Hotel. The place that those scientology weirdo's took over later. And at that banquet they gave out trophies for the city championship. Back in those days you only got a trophy if you were on the City Championship team. It's not like today where every kid gets a trophy no matter what. These days you can be the worst player on the worst team and you still get a trophy.

So my old man got a trophy because he was the manager and his assistant got a trophy and all the players got a trophy and then there was still one more trophy left, and that one went to me. Yeah, that's right, in front of the whole godd*mned team my old man presented me with a godd*mned city championship trophy even though I had never played on that team. What the F*ck was he thinking? That I was going to feel good about getting a F*cking trophy that I didn't deserve in front of all those other kids who had earned their trophies and knew d*mned well I hadn't? Thanks again dad for one of the more humiliating moments of my life.

Years later I noticed the fact that there were only 14 players in that picture when the roster should have been 15 and I figured out that my old man had kept me on that roster. I don't know what he was thinking. Maybe he thought he was doing something nice for me?

I kept that trophy for quite a few years. Sometimes I would leave it out in my room hoping that maybe someone would see it and think I actually earned it. Pretty bad huh? But most of the time I just kept it in a box in my closet. Finally it got broken somehow and I threw it out. I think I was in my 20's by then.

Hey Trade,

Your "old man" wasn't physically abusive, but he was neglectful. Neglect is abuse. It has affected you deeply. Neglect can be just as harmful as physical abuse. I don't think I've misunderstood, but maybe I did. If so, I apologize.

I endured just about every form of abuse you can name. I had problems similar to yours. I was a shy child. A child who couldn't spell. (Or throw a ball, or tell time.). My parents made me practice, practice, and practice. Write, write, write the words again and again and again. Then my mother drilled me, and like you, at home, and I could finally spell.

But at school, (this was fourth grade), I would open the spelling book, turn to the test page, and as teacher called out the words the letters disappeared from my mind. She took the book, corrected the spelling, and another big fat red F appeared again. Home I went.

To the screaming, the rage, the beatings, and the practice, the writing, the drills. Rinse, repeat. A spelling book filled with big fat red F's. The stupid unwanted useless girl child who couldn't even spell, who wrote b's instead of d's. I got better as I got older, but I was never great at spelling.

Even now, if I become the least bit stressed, I can't spell. I mentioned this once to my daughter. How hard it was for me. How I couldn't look up words in the dictionary, because I could not spell. How she, her brother, my husband used to laugh at me when she was younger. How hurtful it was.

She bought me Alexa. Alexa can spell. But Alexa can't heal the hurt. I suppose that's the saddest thing of all.

Back