If your neighbor decided to display 2 million Christmas lights?

It's almost Xmas time, and people will be decorating for the holidays. Near me is one of those, who decorates his home with thousands of lights, Santas,, angels, huge displays. People come from miles around to see it. And that's the problem. He lives on a small lane in a small township. I have friends, who live next door to him. From now to well into January, my buddy is unable to get to his home from dusk till his neighbor turns off the lights. There is just too much traffic. It may take an hour for my buddy to get near his home. That also means at times, he can't get out of his own drive way. And no, there aren't cops, who are doing traffic. My buddy doesn't want to be a Scrooge, but still there is a limit. What do you think of these self appointed, Xmas light show producers and their next door neighbors?

I'm more the wreath on the door and the candle in the window type.

candle-1.jpg

Imagine how much the money spent on decorations and electricity could do to light up a kid's face on Christmas morning.

Um. I think I'd make a strongly-worded "suggestion" to him that he hire off-duty police officers to direct traffic. Very strongly-worded.

Barriers with signs that warn "Do Not Block Driveway" might be in order.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind the lights, but if there was music blaring, I might get real testy. Real darned testy!

Um. I think I'd make a strongly-worded "suggestion" to him that he hire off-duty police officers to direct traffic. Very strongly-worded.

Barriers with signs that warn "Do Not Block Driveway" might be in order.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind the lights, but if there was music blaring, I might get real testy. Real darned testy!
I totally agree with GeorgiaXplant especially the part about the music.

Thot I would luv living next to a neighbor with all that glam going on, but on second thot, no thanks....thats just way too much lighting into my windows, the continuous songs would drive me nuts and the cars constantly driving by would be insane...

That's tough. We have a nearby city known for it's elaborate Xmas displays and people do drive from all over to see it. But to the point that people can't get out of the driveway? That's a hazard. Not to be a grinch, but I hope your friend can do something about this. I''d hate to live with that. I'm also the wreath on the door tastefully done type. Once, when I was a teenager, my dad put a plastic Santa on the balcony outside my window. I almost disowned him.

Other than the lights, the music , and the cars, I don't have a problem with it. :LOL:

Wait, @Keesha just added her car to the line of standing and parked vehicles, all waiting to see it and take photo's, etc? :oops:

I dont suppose that a competing over-the-top display of an alternate holiday would help the situation?
:ROFLMAO: ONLY kidding! I wouldn't do that! :cool:

I just watched the neighbors hired installer putting up their Christmas lights which seems to be the latest trend in my neighborhood. Personally, I can't justify that expense. There are plenty of other houses that have extravagant lighting displays, but at least in the city it does not block traffic

I'm going to spend my money to hire a 15 YO student to pick up the leaves in my yard. Ho, Ho, Ho!

Hmmm, if neighbor displayed 2 million lights I'd probably have to wear sunglasses at night.

But having lived near a neighborhood and house with one of those displays I'd say yes call the police when blocked or property damaged. And get or make a sign that says no driveway blocking or no littering, cutting across or stay off lawn etc.

One would figure a tourist wanting to see those displays would be guided by the light yet I remember walking the dog at night blocks away and we be constantly stopped and asked directions to that house.

There's no music. And there isn't 2 million lights, but pretty close. What started off with a few owners putting up some decorations has evolved to this one guy. There have been safety concerns about having the road blocked with gawkwers, but the township hasn't done anything about it. It's kind of like living on the only road to Disneyland. I personally like homes decorated for Xmas, but I think there's a limit. Are you putting up Xmas decorations, or are you more concerned about creating your own tourist attraction?

That sounds very reasonable of you and other neighbors. You just would like some limits, that respect others' needs, and that take into consideration, the specific location of the home with the extra volume of decorations.

Ignoring the impact on others , seems to be important, when someone likes to create a tourist attraction, or whatever they like to do. Might be fine, in a different type of location, but a compromise on their part, with the neighbors' needs, would be more respectful and considerate of them.

Last edited:
Seriously, I think this guy is a total idiot. More lights doesn't make you a better citizen or a better Christian. It just shows that this guy lacks hobbies & is part of the commercial generation that believes that more is better. I have learned that less is better when you reach our age. What is he trying to prove? More lights do not make Christmas any better. It's in your heart that counts 365 days a year. Not wasting hydro in a world of that has problems with global warming. I'd love to walk by his house with a good set of tin snips & insulated gloves. LOL

It might be fun in a very limited time frame. In other words, the person displaying huge amounts of lights could be allowed to do it one day only, for about 4 hours maximum. After that, he would be fined.

The problem might be deciding where to draw the line. How many lights are too many? I guess a city council could require a permit for a certain number of lights, over a given amount.

Back