I'm going back to my old cookbooks

Ruth n Jersey

Lately I've gotten in the habit of finding recipes online. I have a huge collection of cookbooks but I guess I got a bit lazy.

I've noticed that many of them that I get online just aren't what they are cracked up to be.

Since all this virus stuff I've been making more homemade soups and like to have some type of rolls,biscuits,muffins or bread to go with it. I love to bake but yet there are times when I don't want to spend the whole day in the kitchen.
I went online and noticed 100's of bread like recipes, but they required such outlandish ingredients and would take half a day getting it together.
I decided to crack open the old cookbooks and found many standards with very little variations.Tomorrow with our soup we will be having plain old biscuits with butter or jam and I'll make pop overs some night also.
What do you like to eat with soup?

I agree, that the old-fashioned baking powder biscuits, and other very simple recipes for basic muffins, etc, are well worth re-visiting.

For me, if a soup is balanced with the ingredients, it doesn't need anything beside it, to please me.
Pass a bowl , please. :giggle:

I use soup as an excuse to have a heavy dessert like apple crisp with vanilla ice cream or warm gingerbread with whipped cream.

I haven't cracked open the cookbooks yet but I've been thinking about the old Italians and the simple inexpensive meals they made when times were tough. Thing like peas and macaroni, rice and peas, beans and greens, beans and macaroni, etc...

I use soup as an excuse to have a heavy dessert like apple crisp with vanilla ice cream or warm gingerbread with whipped cream.

That struck my funny bone, AuntB! :ROFLMAO:(y)

been thinking about the old Italians and the simple inexpensive meals they made when times were tough. Thing like peas and macaroni, rice and peas, beans and greens, beans and macaroni, etc...

Those are good ideas. I could eat some of those, plus it's interesting to remember how people of the past, made it through difficult times too, and stretched their limited supplies to last as long as possible.

Aunt Bea….I like your post....I was born from a Mom and Dad Italian family...We didn't have a lot of money...My Dad was in the Service, then went into the National Guard...after they had my brother....He also was a house painter....Mom always had her sewing machine going in her bedroom...
She fixed clothes or made dresses....After I came along I would help her when I was maybe 6 years old....
I remember my Dad's car....He always had the ladders on top of the car....It had the wood on the side of the car, if anyone here remember that
kind of car....(I always thought my Mom and Dad were OK)….It was one time when I wanted to get a haircut, maybe I was 7....Mom got the sizers
out to cut my hair....I was so annoyed I told her I'll let my hair grow.....Then I told her my friend said she goes to get a haircut in a beauty parlor...
Mom said....I'll see how much Dad brings home next week and we will get you a haircut....I'll never forget that....I cried and told my Mom, that's
OK, I'll let my hair grow....Mom did take me to the beauty parlor 2 weeks after....That had to be around the 50's....
(I think I got off the subject) Oh Well... Nice to meet you, Aunt Bea...

I like to have oyster crackers with my soups or chili. I usually have bread or rolls with stews. I think it is because that is what my mother served with them. I don't bake very much because I stopped eating very much bread. Sometimes I buy rolls or Italian bread in the bakery section of Walmart. They are usually very good and very cheap.

I started making homemade breads and rolls when I bought a stand mixer. I'm too lazy to knead, but love homemade breads.

I've been making Lion House Rolls: https://www.templesquare.com/blog/recipe-of-the-month-lion-house-rolls-recipe-original/

These are a recipe from a restaurant on Mormon church grounds. Quick & good with soup and dinner. Lately I've taken to having cheese and crackers with a bowl of soup...makes for a "fuller" meal, especially if the soup has no meat in it.

Re: old cookbooks. I have a bunch of them I got from yard sales or from the days you mailed away for them, including a couple from the 50s written by the ladies of a church in Pennsylvania. Good stuff.

Online recipes. You get to the site and they go on and on and it's a secret to find out how to print the recipe. And I don't want to sit through a video watching you chop up vegetables. So it's the cookbooks for me and I have one that's fifty years Tea biscuits and crumpets.

Finding new ways to cook old favorites. Two days ago , went to light the bbq. Got it cleaned up warmed up and poof, out of fuel. Spare tank was also empty.
Too late to get fuel, did not want o spoil the beauties (steaks) so I cooked them in a air infra red cooker. Bog Boss its called. Steaks came out tasting great and barely needed a knife to cut the meat. It won't replace the open flame taste but it was a very nice surprise.
Anyone else checking out some of these machines??

I love soups and stews!

I make a very hearty beef barley soup, and I always serve crusty french bread slathered with butter with that.

If I make chili, or hoping' john, I always make a pan of cornbread along with it.

Chicken and dumplings don't need any additional bread because of the dumplings.

Sometimes I'll make bread from scratch, and when I do it usually gets eaten like dessert, still warm from the oven, slathered with butter and drizzled with honey, and that honey/butter juice just melts into the bread and tastes like heaven!

Last edited:
892461a8bcd273b811e9e1cc899dafc7.jpg

Back