I'm not sure who I'm related to.

This is going to get complicated. I don't know if I'm related or not.
My dad married Sue, they had two kids Joe1, and Sady1. Then dad and Sue divorced, and dad marries my mom. They had me. Sue also remarried and had Sam2. Now, me , Joe1 and Sady1 are all step brothers/sister. Is Sam2 related to me. If Joe1 and Sady1 have kids, am I related to them? And if Sam2's kids aren't related to me, but Joe1's and Sady1's kids are.............And when Sue passes, she is my brother and sister's mom........but not mine?????
Things get dicey.

Last edited:
Joe1 and Sady1 are your half-siblings. Sam2 is no relation to you, but he is Joe1 and Sady1's half-brother.

Joe1 and Sadie's kids are your nieces and nephews, half-wise, but at that point it doesn't really matter....

Sue isn't your mother...not even your step-mother.

Ain't families grand?
Jube's got it right.

Your dad's kids by another mother are your half-brothers and half-sisters. Any kids either of your parents have with a second spouse are related to you by blood, and so are their kids.

If they marry when you're an adult, your parent's second spouses are "My dad's wife, Sue" and "My mom's husband, Jerry" because they didn't parent you.

This brings up something I find interesting; neither of my son's wives, my daughter's-in-law, have ever called me Dad. I've never told them they can or they should, I just left it up to them. And I've never asked them why, but I do wonder sometimes.

This brings up something I find interesting; neither of my son's wives, my daughter's-in-law, have ever called me Dad. I've never told them they can or they should, I just left it up to them. And I've never asked them why, but I do wonder sometimes.
In my family (and all those I've known, come to think of it) the sons and daughters-in-law call the in-laws by their first names and not Dad or Mom.

Last edited:
In my family (and all those I've known, come to think of it) the sons and daughters-in-law call the inlaws by their first names and not Dad or Mom.
When I married my late husband in 1997, his daughter was 22 years old, so not a child. She started calling me "Mom" and it never sat right with me so I asked her to call me by my first name. She got her feelings hurt and hasn't ever been close with me. :( BTW, her bio-Mom is still alive.

My mum was widowed, she remarried when I was in my 20's ... she wed the man who lived next door who was also my godfather. I never called him dad, just his first name.

The modern family has a lot of mindbending relationships.
Same as I discovered regarding inheritance ... a biological child comes first (legitimate or illegitimate) .. next come legally adopted children and finally, step-children who have no automatic entitlement unless provision is made for them.

They say Modern families are complicated.. with all the single parents with children by various fathers.. and separate surnames...

I thought it was bade enough that my father had been married 3 times...and I;ve got half as well as Step siblings...but these days..things are much more complicated than that.,

Jube's got it right.

Your dad's kids by another mother are your half-brothers and half-sisters. Any kids either of your parents have with a second spouse are related to you by blood, and so are their kids.

If they marry when you're an adult, your parent's second spouses are "My dad's wife, Sue" and "My mom's husband, Jerry" because they didn't parent you.

I once posted a thread on here about what your children's spouses call you. Not too many responses. I think there's a certain unease on both sides on what the proper address is. Two of my daughter's spouses call me by my first name and the other two generally refer to me as Grandpa since there are kids now. It took my wife and me a while, but we called our respective in-laws by their first names (rather than Mr. and Mrs. so and so) but often used Grandma and Grandpa as well. So I don't know if there is any proper etiquette? Anyone know?

You could try to have a light-hearted discussion with your daughters'-in-law on the subject since they are probably embarrassed and don't know what to call you, or you could discreetly talk to your sons about it.

There’s blood lines and cultural lines. I know a guy who married a woman he called his half sister. But, they shared no common parents anywhere up the line.

Just don’t get one of those 23 and Me tests done. That can open up a real can of worms in regards to relatives.

I once posted a thread on here about what your children's spouses call you. Not too many responses. I think there's a certain unease on both sides on what the proper address is. Two of my daughter's spouses call me by my first name and the other two generally refer to me as Grandpa since there are kids now. It took my wife and me a while, but we called our respective in-laws by their first names (rather than Mr. and Mrs. so and so) but often used Grandma and Grandpa as well. So I don't know if there is any proper etiquette? Anyone know?

You could try to have a light-hearted discussion with your daughters'-in-law on the subject since they are probably embarrassed and don't know what to call you, or you could discreetly talk to your sons about it.
I've always assumed that in-law meant by law. By law, your wife's mother is your mother.

It would follow that, if your wife's mother is your mother by law, then, by law, your wife would be your sister, and then you're getting into some pretty weird territory.

So maybe that's why we dropped the tradition. idk

🤪

Back