I'm on opiates and I NEED THEM.

I'm just curious, if you don't mind sharing the information with me. What medicine do you take and what is the dosage you take, e.g. Percocet 10/325, 1 every 4 hrs.

Weird that where we are Oxy and codeine based stuff, you are a senior and you have a right to it. I asked for Xanax or Ativan for the bad nights and he suggested it's addictive. %$#& yeah, that's why it works. My husband needs stuff for real physical pain. Me it's to turn the voices in my head off for a good nights sleep. In any case don't worry about us becoming sorry addicts.

I'm with you there, Fur. I get a 90-day prescription once a year from my doctor for the lowest-dose Valium because it helps when I know I'm going to have one of those worry-worry-worry-toss-toss-toss nights. I make a 90-day prescription last for a full year (in fact, I used less than 60 for the whole year). Yet my insurance company won't approve it unless I have "drug dependence counseling". For a once-a-year 90-day prescription of something that's not much stronger than over-the-counter stuff? Yeah, I'm some drug addict huh? Give me a break.

So I just get it without using my RX insurance. It costs less than $20 more than getting it with my insurance and no hassle.

I agree with Carla about law makers staying out of medicine. The legislature in Fla. vowed to end their very lucrative "pill mills" They created laws which greatly restricted "pain clinics". But none of those anti-pill mill laws would apply to "walk-in clinics". Pain Clinics changed their sign to "Walk-In clinic" and it was business as usual. And all the politicians posed for pictures for shutting down Pain Clinics.

Hate to say it but many lawmakers are responding to many grieving friends & family that can't come to grips that there loved was an addict or partied too hard one time too many. I get the urge to want to do something but it's as much the fault of the user/abuser as it is the criminal drug dealers. Yes try to control the criminal end of illegal drug dealing or the negligence of over prescribing but should everyone else have to suffer, literally have to suffer? Suffer because a legislature or medical professional wants to be politically correct or feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Today it's opiate pain killers but what about the next get high rage.

I speak as someone who has been prescribed these drugs on multiple occasions for procedures, surgeries etc with no urge to stay on them and I have had pain where I wanted to remove body parts myself.

Hate to say it but many lawmakers are responding to many grieving friends & family that can't come to grips that there loved was an addict or partied too hard one time too many. I get the urge to want to do something but it's as much the fault of the user/abuser as it is the criminal drug dealers. Yes try to control the criminal end of illegal drug dealing or the negligence of over prescribing but should everyone else have to suffer, literally have to suffer? Suffer because a legislature or medical professional wants to be politically correct or feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Today it's opiate pain killers but what about the next get high rage.

I speak as someone who has been prescribed these drugs on multiple occasions for procedures, surgeries etc with no urge to stay on them and I have had pain where I wanted to remove body parts myself.

Many of us have friends and or family that may have become addicted to painkillers. It is with no doubt a serious problem today. For some people, and I'm not sure anyone knows why, they can become addicted fairly easily. I'm not sure placing blame upon them is fair. It's not quite the same as chosing to partake in a recreational drug. There are doctors who have been overprescribing some of these powerful drugs and when I say overprescribing, I mean by not first trying other options. It places more people at risk IMO.

There are certain people living with a lot of pain on a daily basis, conditions for which there is no cure or hope of recovery. They rely on pain meds in order to function and so that they can get restful sleep at night. For them, it helps to make life a little bit more bearable. They need and should be able to have relief from their pain.

I believe doctors, not legislators or even insurance companies are best qualified to make decisions regarding treatments and medications. People suffering from intense pain should not have to worry about someone other than a doctor determine if their pain medicine is necessary. It should not be made more difficult to obtain. Patients should not be penalized for the actions of a few rogue physicians. Most doctors are caring and use good judgement. We need to let them be doctors.

Okay, here's another one. Basic Medicare...I had any number of teeth extracted the other night. Twelve Vicodin and they would not cover it. Bastards...fortunate I had no pain, otherwise I guess you bash yourself with a hammer or pay forty bucks you don't have.

Many of us have friends and or family that may have become addicted to painkillers. It is with no doubt a serious problem today. For some people, and I'm not sure anyone knows why, they can become addicted fairly easily. I'm not sure placing blame upon them is fair. It's not quite the same as chosing to partake in a recreational drug. There are doctors who have been overprescribing some of these powerful drugs and when I say overprescribing, I mean by not first trying other options. It places more people at risk IMO.

There are certain people living with a lot of pain on a daily basis, conditions for which there is no cure or hope of recovery. They rely on pain meds in order to function and so that they can get restful sleep at night. For them, it helps to make life a little bit more bearable. They need and should be able to have relief from their pain.

I believe doctors, not legislators or even insurance companies are best qualified to make decisions regarding treatments and medications. People suffering from intense pain should not have to worry about someone other than a doctor determine if their pain medicine is necessary. It should not be made more difficult to obtain. Patients should not be penalized for the actions of a few rogue physicians. Most doctors are caring and use good judgement. We need to let them be doctors.

I absolutely agree, Carla! My niece suffered indescribable pain with terminal colon cancer and I was authorized by both her and her oncologist to fill her prescriptions for her when she became pretty much bedridden, except for trips to the oncologist. I almost blew a gasket a couple of times when sanctimonious pharmacists and/or their minions got on their high horse about misuse of prescription drugs. Hey, she had a legitimate prescription from a local well known oncologist, and a diagnosis of terminal colon cancer. How DARE some pharmacist or tech question her oncologist's prescription! This was our local pharmacy (branch of a nationwide one) and they had her records, knew her, knew me, and knew the doctor, so it's not like we appeared out of nowhere with some scrip from an out of town pill mill. An angry call from the oncologist solved the problem, but I am still furious about it. People in that kind of pain can't just see if maybe ibuprofen will work, and so what if they get addicted --she was DYING, for cryin' out loud.

We seriously need to get the government out of our relationship with our doctors. Instead of making life even more miserable for those suffering real, serious pain, come down hard on the pill mills, but don't get between the average citizen and the pain relief they need.

Here in BC the province has gotten really sticky about pain killers, apparently they think we are all going to rush right out and sell them to druggies. I have enough percoset in the house that I would be wealthy if I sold them. and have been told that it will lose it's potency if I save it too long. My Doctor thinks I am addicted, he doesn't know I stopped taking the 2 a day a long time ago. The problem with percoset is that after a while it simply stops working and if I were to take more than the 2 a day the constipation would be worse than the relief they might afford. So I used my Foodsaver and froze them. My worry is that if our doctor decides to go to the US (and get filthy rich) we will never be able to get a decent pain killer again from a new doctor. I have a dear friend who has a complicated medical history, all she took were the medications for her vertigo and Tylenol 3, had for years when she lost her doctor, now she can't get the Tylenol 3's and only half of the vertigo meds and no permanent doctor. BC is having a hard time attracting new doctors, and where she lives the doctors actually interview prospective patients. Here we just stay with the doctors group (now 4 in one office) so if one does go we will continue to have a doctor.

Back