I'm Scared I'll Never Find a Place to Buy.

I've skimmed through the posts and my heart goes out to you. However, I'm thinking that your step-dad needs to be in a care facility. It sounds like he has dementia and shouldn't be left alone. Hiding his checkbook and not wanting anyone in the house, etc. are all signs that dementia is part of his problem. Does he have a doctor that you could talk to about him? My father was only 76 when he passed in 1987. I've thought about his mental state and the things he said and did for the last 5 years of his life (and maybe it was longer because I wasn't around at that time). He'd hide money in the false ceiling in the basement; accuse people (relatives and neighbors) of stealing things from the house and garage; and when he drove, he'd get lost and he had 2 accidents one right after the other. He cleaned out their savings and bought a new car without telling my mother.

I didn't know what to do. I'd never heard of dementia. My mother was crippled up with arthritis and in constant pain and his "craziness" only made everything worse. He refused to see a doctor and my mother just didn't care any more so she didn't try to get him help.

I can tell this has taken a toll on you and if you continue to let it go on, he'll outlive you. You need some outside help and I urge you to talk to someone. There's help but you have to make the first step. (((HUGS))).

Back