I'm writing here again. I'm starting to dive further into the topic of health and motivation

Ilya

I'm writing here again. I'm starting to dive further into the topic of health and motivation.
I first started writing here in June 2021, when I was advised to communicate with people on the Internet.
I very often live in the past and get nostalgic. In the past, I have lost the meaning of life, as I wrote earlier here: https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/sometimes-i-lose-the-meaning-of-life.61264/

Then, after reading a lot of books and talking to a lot of people, after six months I finally found the meaning of life: https://www.seniorforums.com/thread...motivation-to-lead-a-healthy-lifestyle.66449/

True, it wasn't books and people who helped me, but a sore lower back, because the thought that it would only get worse in the future made me work on myself to avoid even more pain.
Although on the one hand, there are advantages to the deterioration of the condition, because you can play the role of a victim and enjoy it.

On the other hand, I thought, why not play the role of a "cool grandfather" for my children and grandchildren and stop looking for excuses and really do daily exercises and a healthy lifestyle. After all, longevity, as they say now, is "cool."

In addition to sports, I began to eat more fruits, and I read on the Internet that you can buy supplements.
But I'm a little unsure about them.
Has anyone tried them and were there any side effects and benefits?

I was advised by Havinson products (https://store.age2b.com/collections/in-stock ), but suddenly someone could advise other supplements that have a positive effect on health or blood vessels? Share your opinion

I'm writing here again. I'm starting to dive further into the topic of health and motivation.
I first started writing here in June 2021, when I was advised to communicate with people on the Internet.
I very often live in the past and get nostalgic. In the past, I have lost the meaning of life, as I wrote earlier here: https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/sometimes-i-lose-the-meaning-of-life.61264/

Then, after reading a lot of books and talking to a lot of people, after six months I finally found the meaning of life: https://www.seniorforums.com/thread...motivation-to-lead-a-healthy-lifestyle.66449/

True, it wasn't books and people who helped me, but a sore lower back, because the thought that it would only get worse in the future made me work on myself to avoid even more pain.
Although on the one hand, there are advantages to the deterioration of the condition, because you can play the role of a victim and enjoy it.

On the other hand, I thought, why not play the role of a "cool grandfather" for my children and grandchildren and stop looking for excuses and really do daily exercises and a healthy lifestyle. After all, longevity, as they say now, is "cool."

In addition to sports, I began to eat more fruits, and I read on the Internet that you can buy supplements.

I was advised by Havinson products (https://store.age2b.com/collections/in-stock ), but suddenly someone could advise other supplements that have a positive effect on health or blood vessels? Share your opinion
Welcome back!
Sorry, I can not advise about the effects of supplements on health.
Ask your doctor, or look up your supplements at :
https://www.webmd.com/default.htm

It's nice to hear you're taking care of yourself :)

Thanks for the thread, this is a big and important issue.

I once weighed 360 lbs and was in awful shape. I went on a sustained diet and exercise program and got down to 143 lbs, but did not feel good, I think I got too skinny. Now I am about 180 lbs and feel better, but could probably go down 10 or 20 lbs and be better, not sure. And I have been working out regularly for the last 2 years so my conditioning has improved.

However I still struggle with it. For me the biggest challenge is trading off the short term desire to over eat and be lazy against the longer term benefits of better health. Short term is always more tempting...

I have tried a lot of supplements and don't really believe any have done much for me. Eating right and exercising is what helps, not some over priced pill.

It is about what works for you....
i was not in bad shape but was not in good either .... Grand kids are a great reason to stay active and in shape

My spouse was not in shape but when our daughter said "we are not inviting you to join us on outings that require a bunch of walking etc because why pay an entrance fee so you just sit somewhere". That really motivated him and me to drop weight and do more so we can do the things with the kids.

Some people swear by some supplements and i bought a few (some are insanely priced ) but saw no measurable difference.
I feel people have different needs and if something is not being met by diet and some items simply are not i found a few supplements that i feel work for me ... but do not try to get others on same as we are all different.

Last edited:
supplements
I saw a good lecture on this. The lecturer, a medical expert who has studied this extensively basically said that while some supplements may show some marginal benefits they are not much. Most show none. He also pointed out that eating right and exercising has much scientific support and can substantially improve health.

Even giving the supplements the benefit of the doubt he concluded that they might be able to lengthen life by about 2 months. In contrast it is easy to show that by eating right, not smoking, exercising and only drinking in moderation you can extend life by an average of 12 years. Quality of life follows the same pattern. See https://www.thegreatcourses.com/cou...ruths-what-we-think-we-know-may-be-hurting-us I get this on the Amazon Great Lecture series at a lower cost.

I buy the name brand, all inclusive daily vitamin. Plus, I only eat the fruits I like. I love pears, grapes, cherries, and bananas. You can buy the off brand of vitamins that is cheaper, but the amount of each vitamin in the pill is not as much as is in the name brand kind. I choose also to drink water all week and on the weekend, I treat myself to one sugar free coke.

I don't see a definition of what "eating right" means. Sure, you can probably get all your daily vitamins and minerals from food — providing that the food is not genetically modified or laden with pesticides and herbicides, or antibiotics, or grown in depleted soil, etc. Thing is, depending on how that food was grown and/or produced, it can't really be said that all food with provide you with what you need.

Our doctor has suggested we take:
Vitamins A and D
B complex
C
E
Multi-minerals

We also take biotin for hair and nail growth.

We take good quality, clean vitamins and minerals.

This may be a reason why we generally don't get sick.

To be honest, when I haven't taken the above vits/mins for a few days, I can definitely feel the difference.

Thanks for the thread, this is a big and important issue.

I once weighed 360 lbs and was in awful shape. I went on a sustained diet and exercise program and got down to 143 lbs, but did not feel good, I think I got too skinny. Now I am about 180 lbs and feel better, but could probably go down 10 or 20 lbs and be better, not sure. And I have been working out regularly for the last 2 years so my conditioning has improved.

However I still struggle with it. For me the biggest challenge is trading off the short term desire to over eat and be lazy against the longer term benefits of better health. Short term is always more tempting...

I have tried a lot of supplements and don't really believe any have done much for me. Eating right and exercising is what helps, not some over priced pill.
I, too believe that the right balance of food and exercise is the healthiest way to go. But, also like you....I want to sit around and eat (chocolate!!!). Eventually, I do straighten out, at least for a while. When I do, I always feel better.

There are 2 things that seem to help me, both have to do with my internal motivation.

#1- There is a free app from Amazon called Lose It. You can upgrade, but never needed to, since I only use the basic info. To use this app, you tell it general stuff like your current weight, goal weight, buy when, etc. It will tell you how many net calories you are allowed per day. After that, you input your food & input your exercises.

The reason that this helped me, is because it showed my how many calories my exercises were actually burning. It also showed me how many calories were in the foods that I was eating. Honestly, I was appalled with this info!

#2- The other thing that helped me was something that they had at the fitness center that I used to go to. They had a realistic model of 5 lbs of muscle, and another one of 5 lbs of fat. It was so disgusting that when I saw them, I would get grossed out enough to start taking care of myselfe! I did take a picture of these models....if I can find it, I'll post it.

Good luck!

I don't see a definition of what "eating right" means
Didn't want to take the time to describe it, but according to the lecturer I cited its pretty simple, the most important thing is to eat a couple of servings of fruit and vegetables a day and well balanced otherwise. Not a lot of reliance on prepared foods and not a whole lot of refined sugar. Nothing exotic.

I want to sit around and eat (chocolate!!!)
LOL! Don't we all!
#1- There is a free app from Amazon called Lose It. You can upgrade, but never needed to, since I only use the basic info. To use this app, you tell it general stuff like your current weight, goal weight, buy when, etc. It will tell you how many net calories you are allowed per day. After that, you input your food & input your exercises.

The reason that this helped me, is because it showed my how many calories my exercises were actually burning. It also showed me how many calories were in the foods that I was eating. Honestly, I was appalled with this info!
There are a lot of good apps like this out there, I use myfitnesspal.com just recording your food and seeing how many calories you are eating and the macronutrients can be very helpful and informative.

A warning I don't think most of the calorie burn numbers are as accurate as the food calories. The my fitness pal app will forecast your weight loss or gain based on calories eaten and calories burned. Over the last 2 years or so if it was right I would be at about 0 lbs right now, LOL. I suspect I don't exercise as vigorously as the projection assumes. When trying to lose weight I ignore the calories burned thing and just try to get into a calorie deficit without exercise. Then I lose a little more than projected, but not a whole lot. Most weight loss or gain comes from the calories you eat, not effected by exercise as much as we tend to think. Exercise however has other health benefits beyond weight.

LOL! Don't we all!

There are a lot of good apps like this out there, I use myfitnesspal.com just recording your food and seeing how many calories you are eating and the macronutrients can be very helpful and informative.

A warning I don't think most of the calorie burn numbers are as accurate as the food calories. The my fitness pal app will forecast your weight loss or gain based on calories eaten and calories burned. Over the last 2 years or so if it was right I would be at about 0 lbs right now, LOL. I suspect I don't exercise as vigorously as the projection assumes. When trying to lose weight I ignore the calories burned thing and just try to get into a calorie deficit without exercise. Then I lose a little more than projected, but not a whole lot. Most weight loss or gain comes from the calories you eat, not effected by exercise as much as we tend to think. Exercise however has other health benefits beyond weight.
I agree 100%! Myfitnesspal is just another version of the app that I have (and don't use 😲). There are benefits, but in the end....it's up to each of us to get it done! I do like having a rough idea of how many calories I'm burning....even it it never seems like enough.

I don't have that pix on my tablet....I'll have to look for it on my flash drives. It mat take a while.

@Alligatorob .
I found that picture. Two very realistic models, one is 5 lbs of fat & the other is 5 lbs of muscle. The fat model was so disgusting that it was a real motivator for me!
2017-08-04 5 lbs muscle vs 5 lbs fat.jpg
(There is a quarter on the weight bench, to get a size reference.)

The thing about supplements is that you never know if they are doing you any good. No proof is required to sell almost anything these days, just call it 'healthy.'

Back