Interactive Quiz to discover where you're from

hollydolly

SF VIP
Fun interactive quiz in the New York Times tries to place where you were brought up by the way you pronounce some words, and, words you use for things. The first quiz is for anyone not in the UK and Ireland

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...Next&moduleDetail=undefined&pgtype=Multimedia

This second one is for all of us within the UK and Ireland...

I answered it twice, once in the dialogue I spoke as I was growing up in another country...and again since I've lived in England for the last 40 plus years... and it got my area correct both times...

UK and Ireland Quiz....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

Ive been all over, except for New England and I haven’t really been in the south. I guess I did spend the most number of years in the Midwest....27 years total. My first 3 years were in Argentina, then I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa. then spent my married life in the Midwest ...moved to Hungary for 6 years and now I’m in California and have been for almost 16 years.

35236E8E-281A-43DD-8FFF-55B3A938EC8B.jpeg

I took the UK and Ireland quiz, just for fun

3dce7700-8f23-469a-91ba-4932aef648e7.png
It said-

Definitely not from around here are you?
Your answers were closer to the average person outside of Ireland and Britain than anywhere inside it.

The map shows places where answers most closely match your own, based on more than 380,000 respondents who said they were from Ireland or Britain.

I chose the word I learned first growing up, tho in some cases I used one of the other words later in life & came out solidly Northeast, tho it did stretch as far as Michigan. Haha, that's me. Whatever veneers I might have added on, the core is Yankee.

Now I'm going to take the UK/Irish one to see who had more influence: my Irish grandmother or my HS boyfriends very British Mum.

I tried to take the Irish UK one several times & got pop ups that I couldn't get rid of trying to get me to subscribe to the NYT. Will try it again tomw on a different "device".

Holy crap! Had me pinpointed in a 20-mile radius (northwest Chicago burbs). I had no idea these phrases were so specific. Don't know how accurate it is for general population, but sure worked for me.

I don't like this test!

I grew up in Pinellas County Florida and both my parents were from New Jersey.

Yet it gave my location as three cities in Louisiana.

Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans.

I do not talk like I'm from Louisiana!

LOL..I hope you don't speak like that guy Trade... I mean who can understand that fella sitting down,? he needs to learn how to speak good American English from the Coach... :lofl:

Back