Interesting plant

This is more striking than it seems in the photos. I discovered it when trimming brush around the house foundation so I left it alone to see if it would have flowers. Right now it about 3 feet tall, but what was interesting to me was the purplish color near the axils of the younger leaves.

plant2a.jpgplant2b.jpg

Looks like-Ricinus

Ricinus communis, the castor bean or castor oil plant, is a species of perennial flowering plant in the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae. It is the sole species in the monotypic genus, Ricinus, and subtribe, Ricininae. The evolution of castor and its relation to other species are currently being studied using modern genetic tools.More at Wikipedia e

Also, Ricin is a highly toxic, naturally occurring lectin produced in the seeds of the castor oil plant, Ricinus communis. A dose of purified ricin powder the size of a few grains of table salt can kill an adult human.

This reminds me of a visit I made many years to a nursery, looking for seeds of the castor plant because I heard they grow very fast and I needed a big thing in a certain area of my yard,

They had the seeds, but when I grabbed the packet, I saw that a corner of it had been torn off. I brought it to the counter and mentioned that after some processing, the seeds are deadly poison.

To this day I wonder if someone was going to try to hurt another by stealing some seeds.

If yours is not a castor plant, I still agree it's interesting!

Better call Jessica, a single lady from a little town that lives in a big old house is found quietly tending exotic poisonous plants in her garden.

1395592068-0.jpg

Back