Intermittent Fasting vs OMAD vs Keto vs ???

CallMeKate

I see these topics have been discussed here, but many that I saw are rather old threads. Bottom line is that I want to up my health game. Dumping 15 or 20 pounds would be a side perk, but the health/wellness is the main goal. Here are my thoughts, and I'd love to hear yours and keep the dialog going because I'm scared of sabotaging myself... keep me accountable!
IF... this is what I'm planning to do. I want to do the 16:8 although I've read that women may do better with 15.
OMAD... Not for me. I've tried in the past and it just didn't work... nausea was a big problem for me with OMAD.
Keto... Not for me... although I *do* want to make low carb part of my IF.

I see these topics have been discussed here, but many that I saw are rather old threads. Bottom line is that I want to up my health game. Dumping 15 or 20 pounds would be a side perk, but the health/wellness is the main goal. Here are my thoughts, and I'd love to hear yours and keep the dialog going because I'm scared of sabotaging myself... keep me accountable!
IF... this is what I'm planning to do. I want to do the 16:8 although I've read that women may do better with 15.
OMAD... Not for me. I've tried in the past and it just didn't work... nausea was a big problem for me with OMAD.
Keto... Not for me... although I *do* want to make low carb part of my IF.
Since you asked, I guess it's ok to put in my POV:

Eat 3 meals per day at approximately the same times each day.
Base meals on 'the original' Food Groups: protein, dairy, fiber/grains, fruits/vegetables.
As much as possible, choose plain, fresh foods.
Drink plenty of water in general, and whenever you feel hungry between meals.

Since you asked, I guess it's ok to put in my POV:

Eat 3 meals per day at approximately the same times each day.
Base meals on 'the original' Food Groups: protein, dairy, fiber/grains, fruits/vegetables.
As much as possible, choose plain, fresh foods.
Drink plenty of water in general, and whenever you feel hungry between meals.
Thanks, @JaniceM ... these things have always been part of my eating/wellness plan. The IF I want to do is for additional health benefits that it offers... especially the cognitive benefits. I want to keep my mind in tip-top shape. Figure it's better to do it now before it would actually become an issue. (y)

IF (intermittent fasting) -- for example, an 8-hour eating window -- is pretty painless. Skip breakfast and don't snack at night. Or, have 3 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and an early supper.

It also provides health benefits, as your insulin isn't spiking all day.

Keto is not for everyone. But being aware of excess carbs, and cutting back on carby junk foods, is a good idea. Good luck!

Thanks, @JaniceM ... these things have always been part of my eating/wellness plan. The IF I want to do is for additional health benefits that it offers... especially the cognitive benefits. I want to keep my mind in tip-top shape. Figure it's better to do it now before it would actually become an issue. (y)
If you think about it, if you have your last meal of the day fairly early, that's all it'd take to be considered "intermittent fasting."

OMAD is a bit extreme for me, but intermittent fasting is very doable. Occasionally I'll do 16:8, usually my fasting time to workout at the gym.
With fasting two things happen: your body increases production of Human Growth Hormone(HGH), and the body goes into Autophagy, a natural self-cleansing mode.
Same here... can't handle OMAD. I've been reading up on the cognitive benefits of IF and it's kind of impressive... especially the slowing the aging process part. Well, we can hope, eh? :) I've also been reading more about autophagy... and I'm really exciting about seeing what kind of benefits I receive from this plan. Thanks, @Nathan

IF (intermittent fasting) -- for example, an 8-hour eating window -- is pretty painless. Skip breakfast and don't snack at night. Or, have 3 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and an early supper.

It also provides health benefits, as your insulin isn't spiking all day.

Keto is not for everyone. But being aware of excess carbs, and cutting back on carby junk foods, is a good idea. Good luck!
Thank you, @NorthernLight ... I have to say I'm exciting about seeing what it will do for me health-wise, and if I can get rid of 15 or so pounds, it's just a bonus. My plan is to stop eating at an early dinner... probably 5 and then I can have breakfast around 9. Painless indeed.

If you think about it, if you have your last meal of the day fairly early, that's all it'd take to be considered "intermittent fasting."
..so we have dinner at 6pm, go to bed at 9. Usually get up at 6-6-:30 so right there is 12 hours free. Sometimes I'm hungry in the morning, but if I'm not then just black coffee would be fine, and I can easily hold out until 12 or 1, particularly if I'm exercising...exercise helps dampen my appetite anyways.

I was stunned at some foods that had tons of "hidden" carbs when I checked into Keto lifestyle information. I've been mindful of low-carb eating for a while now, so that won't be a hardship with the IF either although I want to go lower.

My take on this is that any diet that gives you fewer calories than you burn will cause weight loss. IF, OMAD, and Keto all work, but no real magic there. Its a personal thing, some people are happier with one than another. The best diet for you is the one you stick to!
... keep me accountable!
I have found the best way to do that is to track things on a place like myfitnesspal.com and post them somewhere for others to see. You could post them daily in a diary here.

Best of luck with it, losing weight is never easy, but usually good for you.

My take on this is that any diet that gives you fewer calories than you burn will cause weight loss. IF, OMAD, and Keto all work, but no real magic there. Its a personal thing, some people are happier with one than another. The best diet for you is the one you stick to!

I have found the best way to do that is to track things on a place like myfitnesspal.com and post them somewhere for others to see. You could post them daily in a diary here.

Best of luck with it, losing weight is never easy, but usually good for you.
Thank you, @Alligatorob . I want to do the IF for health/wellbeing and not weight loss. If 10 or 15 pounds decide to part ways with me, all the better. :) I keep reading that IF helps slow aging process, sharpens our minds, helps with "brain fog", regulates blood sugar, and lots of other benefits, so it sounds exciting to me.

I'm with you. I started today to work on the extra holiday weight.
What works for me is myfitnesspal. I track until I can eyeball the portions myself.
I set the macros to 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat. That's what works for me to keep away hunger at 1600 calories.
I don't always eat that much. That's the limit!
All that can be adjusted to what personally works for you and your goals.
Once you build up a food log it's not hard at all and if you log in advance, it's done for the day unless you add or subtract something.
I eat my last meal around 6 or 6:30 then breakfast at 8 or 8:30. That's good enough for me.
I am going to track net carbs this time (carbs -fiber) and see how it goes.
You can subtract your exercise but I usually don't use that.
Good Luck no matter what route you take!

I was stunned at some foods that had tons of "hidden" carbs when I checked into Keto lifestyle information. I've been mindful of low-carb eating for a while now, so that won't be a hardship with the IF either although I want to go lower.
yes, a lot of the good foods are carb / calorie heavy. Fruits and nuts, so much better to eat than cookies and chips, but...

I'm with you. I started today to work on the extra holiday weight.
What works for me is myfitnesspal. I track until I can eyeball the portions myself.
I set the macros to 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat. That's what works for me to keep away hunger at 1600 calories.
Thanks, @hearlady . I've never gotten into the macros... but I usually keep track of sodium and carbs. I've never tracked protein. Good luck to you, too! I want to have more energy first of all. I'm thinking <2000mg of sodium and <100g carbs will be my initial goal.

Thanks, @hearlady . I've never gotten into the macros... but I usually keep track of sodium and carbs. I've never tracked protein. Good luck to you, too! I want to have more energy first of all. I'm thinking <2000mg of sodium and <100g carbs will be my initial goal.
I'm reading more about how important it is for seniors to get enough protein. It helps build muscle when we exercise which helps keep us from being feeble as we age.
I think we eat less as we age for a lot of factors.
Until I tracked, I was not getting the recommended protein which, I think is about 100 grams (?) per day.

My experience since 1970s.....No special diets or radical stuff needed:

Cut out alcohol, sugar, artificial sweeteners.
taper or cut caffeine
Reduce or cut animal products, meat, foul fish.
Check drinks, canned packaged food, "diet sodas" contents for salt, sugar, disguised junk eg fructose, chemicals, preservatives.
Eat fruit instead of drinking fruit juices.
Eat when you are really hungry not on a ridged schedule
Avoid food caffeine alcohol at least 4 hrs before bed
Exercise 20..60 min daily, even just walking..

I have one main meal /day. try to walk 5..10 km/day. use exercise bike

Bon Sante!

Jon

Last edited:

Back