Irma check-in from central Florida

helenbacque

The much weakened eye of Irma passed over my area about 2:30 AM on Monday. Did not lose power until about 30 minutes later so could watch progress as reported by local broadcasters. No flooding or damage to building or grounds (complex has sturdy buildings and buried utilities) but some trees and power poles down nearby. Our power restored today about noon but much of area still without.

The much weakened eye of Irma passed over my area about 2:30 AM on Monday. Did not lose power until about 30 minutes later so could watch progress as reported by local broadcasters. No flooding or damage to building or grounds (complex has sturdy buildings and buried utilities) but some trees and power poles down nearby. Our power restored today about noon but much of area still without.

Glad you had no damage!

Thanks. I hope no one thinks that all of central Florida fared as well as my family. There is a lot of damage here, I was just very, very lucky. The eye of the storm sort of fell apart just before coming into the greater Orlando area. We had strong winds (Cat 1) and very heavy rain. My complex is new enough to have been built under the stringent building codes that were put in place following Andrew that heavily damaged Miami in 1992. Also, the city of Orlando is central state - lots of lakes but no ocean or large river. I understand that many trailers and manufactured homes here sustained a lot of damage.

Glad to hear that you made it with little damage or inconvenience.

These storms are very strange when it comes to destruction. I have several family members and friends that have homes in Florida and luckily none of them had any significant damage yet right next door a home could be wiped out or have a large boat sitting on the front lawn. I don't understand it!

Glad to hear you dodged that bullet. I still have friends in the Mount Dora area and it sounds like the power outage is still hurting some folks, but otherwise damage was minimal

My power in the metro Atlanta area was out after the first gust of wind on Monday at 2:45pm until Wednesday at 4pm. Not all that much damage around here for a storm of that nature but the problem seems to be in getting power restored. Lots of unusual issues involved with that; basically resources are stretched beyond normal with the the 2 humongous storms striking heavily populated areas. Makes me wonder if they run out of transformers, etc. Normally with a storm of that magnitude in this area (it wasn't all that severe here) it doesn't take but about a day to get power restored if you lose it.

They still haven't gotten power to all the schools in my county and I'm guessing the only reason I got my power restored at this time is I was in the same grid(?) of a traffic light at a busy intersection off one of the freeways that created a dangerous situation. I wonder what their priority lists looks like... got to figure normal residents are pretty much at the bottom of that list. Thousands around here are still waiting.

I wonder what their priority lists looks like... got to figure normal residents are pretty much at the bottom of that list. Thousands around here are still waiting.

I've wondered the same. I was without power from 3 AM Monday (about 30 minutes after the eye passed over) until about noon on Tuesday ... slightly more than 24 hours. I was expecting (and prepared for) an outage of days if not weeks. Quite of lot of this area is still without power and flooding is a big problem for those near rivers and streams. I was extremely lucky.

The power went off again yesterday afternoon because a "power station" or whatever they call the big yard that looks like something out of a Fu Manchu movie caught on fire and fried the main power lines coming into our area. Luckily, it was only off for a few hours. Phew! There were seven bucket trucks stretched down the main road stringing new wire like mad. Bless the linemen!

Millions of vehicles were destroyed all over Florida and Texas. And the Shysters are already cleaning them to resell. Then they rot from the inside out. Nobody should by a used car for the next ten years.

Speaking of that, hangover. Does a Carfax have to reveal that info?

Glad you are okay Helen. Our place in Palm Bay had very slight damage.

When I bought my present car a couple years ago, the Carfax report detailed where the car came from, where had been serviced, for what and when. My car had been only titled in New Mexico, owned by only one family (local) before me and had been serviced at the dealer and one other place, all local. So I think it would at least let you know the car had come from a flood area.

I don't know how they compile the info for Carfax reports.

I just got this email from my girlfriend in Ocala, FL. The eye of Irma was supposed to pass right over Ocala. Apparently they did *not* evacuate.

Thought someone might find it funny. She is a character. :)

"That thing was supposed to hit here at around 5 a.m. Monday. Tom (her husband) fell asleep and was snoring chainsaw style so I decided to take a nap at about 2:30 so I could be alert to deal with whatever at 5. Woke up at 4:30, looked at the Weather Channel, and Irma had already gone passed Ocala. Slept through whatever happened."

This is her storm damage. :)

irmaOcala.gif

Back