Irritated with Microsoft crap right now.

I have been using Ubuntu for at least 7 years. I just replaced my computer in August and this was the first time I had to install Ubuntu myself, but I did it. I uninstalled Windows from it and am so glad I did that too. The old computer still had Windows partitioned off. I always regretted that because I never used it.
It takes either a bit of courage or a leap of faith to over write Windows on a machine. Once it has been done, you have NO regrets.

I agree that Windows is about as frustrating as it gets. My wife uses a chromebook and likes it. I have converted my Windows machines to Linux. The Linux allows a simpler and more straightforward environment than even Chrome.

One suggestion, if anyone still has a Windows based system that they may not be using. It is fairly easy to overwrite Windows with Linux. Linux is free to use so it doesn't cost anything to give it a try. I'm running it on computers that are over ten years old and it performs great. I can add the functionality I want (again for free) and not have to deal with all the junk that Windows imposes.
Can you watch streamed content or play video games with Linux?

I don't overwrite stuff because I don't know anything about using Linux and I have no idea how to overwrite this laptop because there's no place to insert any discs or anything. I've wiped hard drives before in the past but I always had discs cuz they were desktops. I refuse to fiddle with it. It has Windows Defender & since I rarely use it now I plan to let my McAfee expire. I will take all my personal info off of it.

MarciKS,

I don't know about streaming or playing video games, I never do that on my pc.

The way I've installed Linux on my machines is to download Linux to a thumb/flash drive. You plug in the drive, then turn on the computer. The computer will boot itself from the drive. Once that happens you are walked thru the installation process.

If you do a search you can find very detailed step by step instructions on the process. I'm not overly technical, I don't even own a cell phone.

MarciKS,

I don't know about streaming or playing video games, I never do that on my pc.

The way I've installed Linux on my machines is to download Linux to a thumb/flash drive. You plug in the drive, then turn on the computer. The computer will boot itself from the drive. Once that happens you are walked thru the installation process.

If you do a search you can find very detailed step by step instructions on the process. I'm not overly technical, I don't even own a cell phone.
That is exactly how I did it. I watched a YouTube video on the instruction and wrote down each step. I never did this before because when I was with my husband he was a computer nerd and did it all for me. The only thing I have had trouble with is getting Libre Office on it. I am still working on that though.

I don't play games but I do watch videos.

The only thing I have had trouble with is getting Libre Office on it. I am still working on that though.
I think I may have gotten lucky regarding the Linux flavor I randomly chose to install. It came with a utility called Discover --

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/kde-software-center-discover-improvements

It made installing all the various apps extremely simple. You do a search, it finds the app, click install and up it pops. Libre Office was one of the first apps I installed. That is the primary reason I'm so happy, when I want to add functionality, it is simple and quick using the Discover function that came with the Kubuntu version I installed.

Back