Is my septic system making a toxic area?

I live in the sticks.- been here 30 years. And I have a septic tank and a drainage field. The grass is always greener and fuller over the field. The deer seems to love that grass. That got me thinking. I'm on a bunch of medications, and I've been on them for years. When you think of the number of bottles and bottles of meds over 30 years, we are talking about a huge amount. How do I know if the soil above the drainage field hasn't become toxic with extremely high concentrations of medication?

I live in the sticks.- been here 30 years. And I have a septic tank and a drainage field. The grass is always greener and fuller over the field. The deer seems to love that grass. That got me thinking. I'm on a bunch of medications, and I've been on them for years. When you think of the number of bottles and bottles of meds over 30 years, we are talking about a huge amount. How do I know if the soil above the drainage field hasn't become toxic with extremely high concentrations of medication?
With the green grass growing it sounds like you may have some kind of leak. I remember when I was about 12 our septic system had water at the surface, with rich vegetation growing. Sometimes the sewer water would back up in the downstairs bathroom. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You ask a good question.

There are many chemicals in our wastewater that are little treated by septic or other conventional wastewater treatment means, not just drugs. The ones of greatest concern are the Endocrine Disruptors which includes some drugs. It is a growing problem, and one we are still trying to understand and regulate.

Your septic tank is probably only a drop in the bucket so to speak, there are many sources of greater concern. It is possible some of the drugs you take could make it into the grass over your septic tank, but probably not a lot. If you are a coffee or tea or any caffeinated beverage drinker caffeine will do that. Your septic tank however, likely represents little risk to wildlife, they probably only get a small part of their diet from you.

The one thing you can do to limit your impacts is to watch what you put down the drain. Don't dispose of drugs or other chemicals that way. Its always good practice to think about what you are disposing of and where it goes.

@Nathan could be right, your drain field could be plugged or another problem. It's worth looking into. However healthy grass above a septic tank or drain field is not always a sign of problems.

Do you know the book? Probably no answers to your question, but you might get a laugh out of it.

0345471725.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Grass-Always-Greener-over-Septic/dp/0345471725

A lot of good info on Google
type this in

" can medication taken be leached out in a drain field "

To read which ever articles appeal to you the most.

This one looked interesting to me.

If someone in your home is taking medications for an extended period, you may want to have your septic tank pumped more often.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/can-medicatiBeth Clawson, Michigan State University Extension - February 08, 2019

Seems there is more concern for the meds to cause solids to build faster in the tank, that concern over meds impacting the ground water.

Back