is the End really in sight?

hollydolly

SF VIP
..of Covid-19?

In the UK we've had 15 million people vaccinated in the last month and they're hoping that by the end of April that will be 30 million... what about your country is the end in sight ?

It's only beginning here in Australia! The vaccines have just arrived and the rollout starts in a few days. I'm not in the first group, so my wait may be a lengthy one.
Hopefully Dana, everything will get going fast...

They're talking about vaccine passports here.. in that you might not be allowed to travel or even go to the pub unless you have a vaccine passport... it's not been decided yet, but that's the whisper in the trees and in the media

Hopefully Dana, everything will get going fast...

They're talking about vaccine passports here.. in that you might not be allowed to travel or even go to the pub unless you have a vaccine passport... it's not been decided yet, but that's the whisper in the trees and in the media
That's the plan for here too hollydolly and I have to say, I'm in agreement. I miss going abroad which I do almost every year, and anything to keep travellers safe is all right with me.

As of Feb 14 only 174,643 out of 14.75 million have been vaccinated. By Sept. everyone should be. Is the end in sight...maybe but there are so many variables I have my doubts but I am hopeful it will be the end of the year. My hubby is planning now to go to Africa with his 2 sisters and b-i-l next January so he is hopeful too.

The risk curve in New Hampshire is trending downward from the December peak but we're still far from seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. Currently we still have about eight times the number of active cases and ten times the number of current hospitalizations that we had in October. I'm optomisitcally looking at another six months at least.

It's worth looking at history, https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic the so called Spanish Flu of 1918 was the world's deadliest pandemic ever, killing even more than plagues like The Black Death. It ran for two years and ended when victims either died or built an immunity to it. The reason that pandemic was so deadly has similar parallels to Covid 19. A group of genes enabled the virus to weaken a victim’s bronchial tubes and lungs and clear the way for bacterial pneumonia.

Not sure why anyone would think this is close to over when even the experts are saying Covid19 will be around for years. First the thought is that the vaccine doesn't keep you from getting infected so there's that. Throw in the multiple variants which we don't know if they're affected by the vaccine and now the fear that minks can give the virus to humans and I don't see how we're anywhere near out of the woods.

According to the Washington Post this morning we're at 38.6 million vaccinated so we're at 11.6% so we still have a long way to go. There are a lot of people here in the US who've said they aren't going to get vaccinated so we might be up to 22% of the way through the number of people who will be vaccinated but it's probably more like 17%.

No....Wales has met all the criteria to come down to level three but today we have been told any changes that happen at this weeks review will be minimal.
We have also been told that Wales will not open up for Easter and that even when this lockdown ends(which seems a long way off with the goal posts having been inexplicably moved)more cannot be ruled out.
Meanwhile Boris is determined the current England lockdown will be the last.
i can see a mass exodus when England has returned to normal and this side of the border we are still under house arrest.
I am making no plans before Summer 2022.

It isn't certain yet just how much protection the vaccine gives. I'm thinking of it as being an addition to the current precautions, rather than instead of.
We can be hopeful but not complacent yet.
Right at the start of this we were sold vaccines as the way out.
If vaccination does not return us to normal then there is no point anyone getting vaccinated.

It's worth looking at history, https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic the so called Spanish Flu of 1918 was the world's deadliest pandemic ever, killing even more than plagues like The Black Death. It ran for two years and ended when victims either died or built an immunity to it. The reason that pandemic was so deadly has similar parallels to Covid 19. A group of genes enabled the virus to weaken a victim’s bronchial tubes and lungs and clear the way for bacterial pneumonia.
It was around a lot longer than two years-more like six between the first and last recorded cases- but without vaccinations and the ridiculous draconian approach we have to Covid it did eventually die out.Because herd immunity developed.
The Lockdown approach to this one has prevented herd immunity and every time lockdown has been eased cases have risen.
Having studied Pandemics as part of my History Degree I just can’t believe the entire world has been shut down for it.That never happened in any previous pandemic -some of which killed a huge proportion of the then population.
And on this thread people are suggesting vaccination will not return us to normal.
If it doesn’t I question the point of vaccination.

It's only beginning here in Australia! The vaccines have just arrived and the rollout starts in a few days. I'm not in the first group, so my wait may be a lengthy one.
But you are living pretty normally down under compared to here and jumping on any new outbreaks very quickly.
i envy Australia and New Zealand.

The numbers in the US are declining....slowly...in the past couple of weeks. That is probably due to the end of the holidays, and bad weather. However, this virus is Far from being under control....until/unless the vast majority of the population gets vaccinated....and that is still months away, and any reduction in numbers is going to be temporary.

Too many have created whole companies..... services and products.............. that creates a desire to keep at least fear going..... $$$$$$$$
even if vaccine was instantly effective and halted covid too many mask / and advertising companies need people to continue buying and consuming their products ..... we will have more people forever wearing Masks etc and freaking out if restrictions on others who want to go back to normal.

Too many unanswered questions and what ifs ...........and too many in government seem to enjoy some control power trip at least in my area.......

The local infection rate has dropped to 0.80% and the positive test rate is 3.70%.

The numbers are looking better but every time the numbers improve the county opens up more business or existing businesses for longer hours and the numbers take a hit.

It's a similar story with local vaccinations. Lots of talk and several vaccination sites but a limited number of shots available.

IMO we won't see a significant improvement in the way we live until sometime in 2022.

The rollout in my state has not been going well. I have a friend who is scared to death of covid and wants to be vaccinated asap and if I hear of a way for him to do that, I will help, but so far nada for him. Our governor is on everyone's crap list and will probably lose reelection next go.

The latest news is that you can still catch covid even after both shots. :oops: Also, it's not going to return life to normal as we knew it pre - virus, so why vaccinate remains my question. There's so much to consider here. But to answer the original question, in my state of the USA rollout is lagging.

The rollout in my state has not been going well. I have a friend who is scared to death of covid and wants to be vaccinated asap and if I hear of a way for him to do that, I will help, but so far nada for him. Our governor is on everyone's crap list and will probably lose reelection next go.

The latest news is that you can still catch covid even after both shots. :oops: Also, it's not going to return life to normal as we knew it pre - virus, so why vaccinate remains my question. There's so much to consider here. But to answer the original question, in my state of the USA rollout is lagging.
well vaccination will stop the virus spreading from one person to another....

We cannot count on this virus to behave like that influenza, nor can we count on previous cases providing long term immunity to new variants.
Unfortunately.

Back