Is this truly dementia? If not what else can it be........

I live in a Senior Living facility with assisted living and Alzheimer's units as well as those of us who are independent. I have seen some people come here to live who could be marginally on the cusp of Alzheimer's, as long as they remained active and engaged, they did reasonably well. Conversely, there have been those who moved in, ostensibly to enjoy retirement, and watched them fade into full dementia within a little over a year.

They were not encouraged to participate in any activities but were left to their own devices. Granted, some activities are rather juvenile, if not downright childish, but, many are educational and involve much creativity. When I asked one lady why she never came to my Trivia group, she replied that she did not come here to play games, but was retired. End of conversation as far as she was concerned. Sad, but true for far too many, but in defense of the facility, the staff is alarmingly short handed to keep up as well.

There is a lady that I see at the fitness center who is struggling with dementia. Her daughter brings Ellen there to swim at least once a week, maybe more, which her mother enjoys immensely, and I believe that it probably helps her a lot, too.
According to her daughter, Ellen has been a business woman all of her life, and since she has retired and has nothing happening except for sitting at home and watching television all day, her mind and memory has been deteriorating.

She is still a very friendly person, and I think that she remembers me when we see each other, and she has small conversations with me while we swim and exercise together.
She usually asks me several times how old I am, and I tell her, and we just chat with each other. She is a very nice person and I look forward to seeing her on the days that we are both there to swim at the same time.

Re Alizerine's post #4 A few years ago, Sierra (previous Border Collie) and I did pet visits to a Seniors' home. One of the nurses commented that they are surprised how some residents become more outgoing and talkative when Sierra and I are visiting. The residents would tell me about their dog, cat and other memories.

Unfortunately, Flash (currant B.C.) would not be an appropriate visitor (no manners - he would grab food off the residents' trays.)

Back