Isn't ageing a beast sometimes ?

hollydolly

SF VIP
I know we all get older if we're lucky enough.. and even luckier if we get old without too many medical issues...

Today I was just sad to see Paul Hogan.. ( he of Crocodile Dundee)... he's 82.. and in today's papers..

61256055-11099195-image-a-28_1660140034315.jpg

61259055-11099195-image-a-34_1660147021485.jpg

it seems like 5 minutes ago he was a young good looking, strong man.. .. and now not...

It comes to us all I know.. but the ageing process is a beast IMO>.

I see many men go downhill like that hollydolly, it seems
that they either give up, or some try to drink all their money
in alcohol, a bad idea.

I have been lucky so far, I was dealt a great hand in health
when I was conceived, yes I look older and my hair is white,
but my skin doesn't look old.

Me blowing my own trumpet, but I can still pass for 60 ish!

Mike.

I see many men go downhill like that hollydolly, it seems
that they either give up, or some try to drink all their money
in alcohol, a bad idea.

I have been lucky so far, I was dealt a great hand in health
when I was conceived, yes I look older and my hair is white,
but my skin doesn't look old.

Me blowing my own trumpet, but I can still pass for 60 ish!

Mike.
looking 20 years younger is fab Mike.. you're lucky.. altho' I don't think anyone looking their age is bad, it's just a shame that we all have to end up looking so different to what we think of as ''ourselves'' :(

In many western societies, getting older is unofficially looked upon as vaguely shameful. For that reason, many go to great lengths to disguise evidence of their aging through cosmetics or surgery. If a person roots their identity and sense of value in a youthful physical appearance, they are bound to eventually lose their battle with time, and perhaps suffer profound psychological distress.

How much easier would life be if older people were regarded as living treasures rather than irrelevant nuisances and unpleasant reminders of mortality?

There are things I don't like about getting old, but it's also a very happy time in my life. I've done the things I wanted to do, and I'm content. Granted I haven't been hit with any serious disabilities. While there was much satisfaction in my early life, I remember a lot of unnecessary struggles along with that youth. I guess the struggle seemed necessary at the time, but they are not there anymore. Frankly, I never thought this time of my life would be so good.

I often think it is so much harder on people who were great beauties or very handsome. Must take getting older much harder, I am grateful I was just average to my aging does not seem so bad.

I think that is evident by the extremes that so many celebrities go through, to "stay" young. True they can afford it, but I think it goes deeper than just affordability . IMO they are just so vain , they just cannot face the inevitable ...... aging , and the appearence changes that come with it.

Which is why I have [for the most part] a fairly low opinion of them.

It's unfair to compare someone who's been lucky enough to reach the age of 82 to what they looked like in their youth. Paul Hogan might be wrinkled, but he looks trim and fit. What else do you expect at that age? Sad? It's not sad, it's natural and as it should be.

I often think it is so much harder on people who were great beauties or very handsome. Must take getting older much harder, I am grateful I was just average to my aging does not seem so bad.

It Ain't For Sissies!

First and foremost, we're supposed to get old. That's a fact, like it or not. You can lift, fill, resurface, bond, and bleach the f*ck outta yourself, and eventually, it's going to catch up with you and get the better of you no matter what you do. Come what may, I do the best I can to look as good as I can without resorting to becoming a reconstruction site. :rolleyes:

Bette Davis Old Age Ain't No Place for Sissies - Flashbak

Amen to that! 😉

Bella ✌️

We all seem to be afraid of old age and death...some more than others. I guess seeing once lively living creatures ( including us humans ) makes us a bit sad. I think it is because we want to survive and when we were at our peak we looked and felt our best. Getting old and sick is not for weak hearted. It is a struggle sometimes. But, if we are truly honest most of our lives were marked with difficult times from early on. Some of those times were very sad. I don't think it is sad so much as self-pity when you believe it is sad to age.

Back