Issues with Amazon Reviews

I've reviewed a few books. I keep my reviews short without going into great detail as some do. Mostly craft books and a cat scratcher I got. I slammed a cookbook with a one star review and they did publish it.

I'm like Bonnie. If something is especially good or bad or not as advertised, I sometimes write a short truthful review but I don't bother to check back to see if is printed because I don't actually care. I've given my opinion and hope it helped someone else make a sound purchase.

Good to hear that you wrote the "truth." Most people expect that the reviews are truthful. Any company that phones you and shouts at you for writing a negative (but truthful) review does not deserve to stay in business. As for Amazon, I am very happy with them. I like their products and I like the way they deliver. "Touch Wood" as they say!
Me too about Amazon: easy purchase and delivery, easy returns, etc. Just need to get this customer review thing fixed.

In the past I have ordered a lot of DVDs from Amazon. Yes, about 2 weeks after I receive my order, an email comes asking me how I like whatever DVD I bought? The funny thing is that when I buy a DVD, it sometimes takes me a good year to view it as I have others. The system does not work for me so I never bother to review anything. Even though I don't do reviews, I think that reviews are important. For example, if a product has a lot of negative reviews, the chances some people will not buy that product. I do read some of the reviews when I am ordering things. Yesterday I ordered inkjet cartridges for my Canon printer. The cartridges were not from Canon but the reviews told me that there should be no problem. Canon inkjet cartridges are pretty darn expensive and they don't last all that long!

In the past I have ordered a lot of DVDs from Amazon. Yes, about 2 weeks after I receive my order, an email comes asking me how I like whatever DVD I bought? The funny thing is that when I buy a DVD, it sometimes takes me a good year to view it as I have others. The system does not work for me so I never bother to review anything. Even though I don't do reviews, I think that reviews are important. For example, if a product has a lot of negative reviews, the chances some people will not buy that product. I do read some of the reviews when I am ordering things. Yesterday I ordered inkjet cartridges for my Canon printer. The cartridges were not from Canon but the reviews told me that there should be no problem. Canon inkjet cartridges are pretty darn expensive and they don't last all that long!
We finally made the switch the a laser printer (used, good condition) for that exact reason. The fracking ink is more exspensive than the printer.

Basically Amazon has more reviews generally than the site can use. Book reviews especially. I spoke with a rep about it. After a while older reviews are hidden or deleted. Like mine. Be more wary of great reviews than bad ones. 4 stars is not likely true

For a long time after I signed up with Amazon I reviewed nearly everything I bought.

However, when the majority of my purchases were books, I stopped doing it. The reason: I learned sellers often pay people to write fake reviews for books they did not purchase, and so Amazon was getting suspicious to the point of banning accounts if they thought a review was fake.

I suppose all they'd need to do is check an account to see if the person actually bought the item, but I didn't want to take any chances. So I didn't post any reviews of my son's books, and not for a book written by one of our forum members either.
Anymore, I don't usually write any reviews unless I'm directly asked to do so.

Basically Amazon has more reviews generally than the site can use. Book reviews especially. I spoke with a rep about it. After a while older reviews are hidden or deleted. Like mine. Be more wary of great reviews than bad ones. 4 stars is not likely true
I only give four stars to books I truly found exceptional. Usually, it's three, if it was a good book, entertaining, well narrated (Audible), solid writing.
Five starts happens to books I would listen to over and over, which is so very rare (paging Christopher Moore.)

Back