It’s possible I died and I’m not aware of it yet.

Medusa

I did my 2nd of three required training sessions (after which I’m a volunteer who gets to sign up and help when and as often as I like :), at the draft horse rescue yesterday and I think I may have died there on the farm and am now like one of those ghosts wandering through their daily routine, oblivious to their demise.

I’d like to say it was the pure joy of being with horses that killed me (and to be sure I could die of such a feeling; they make me so happy), but it was more likely the hard work in 95°F.

There were times when I honestly thought, “I may actually be sick right at this horse’s feet.” Or, “No, I’m going to pass out and get stomped.”

My first training session, albeit longer (four hours instead of the afternoon’s three), was hella busy and extremely hard work as well, but it was the heat yesterday, that and, because of the heat, the walking, seeming acres, through foot-tall grass in mucking boots, wrangling groups or walking individuals (horses, not people) over to the hoses to be cooled off. Why are they always on the other end of the field?

In the end, as with the first session, I came out of it beat to hell, every cell in my body exhausted and complaining and my soul absolutely soaring with joy. :) :) -- I’ve never been so tired and so happy in equal measures.

My husband says I come out of the barn glowing. :)

Best therapy ever. :)

I know the feeling, we're surrounded by horses here.. I'm regularly out there with them
DSCF78911-crop.jpg

I did my 2nd of three required training sessions (after which I’m a volunteer who gets to sign up and help when and as often as I like :), at the draft horse rescue yesterday and I think I may have died there on the farm and am now like one of those ghosts wandering through their daily routine, oblivious to their demise.

I’d like to say it was the pure joy of being with horses that killed me (and to be sure I could die of such a feeling; they make me so happy), but it was more likely the hard work in 95°F.

There were times when I honestly thought, “I may actually be sick right at this horse’s feet.” Or, “No, I’m going to pass out and get stomped.”

My first training session, albeit longer (four hours instead of the afternoon’s three), was hella busy and extremely hard work as well, but it was the heat yesterday, that and, because of the heat, the walking, seeming acres, through foot-tall grass in mucking boots, wrangling groups or walking individuals (horses, not people) over to the hoses to be cooled off. Why are they always on the other end of the field?

In the end, as with the first session, I came out of it beat to hell, every cell in my body exhausted and complaining and my soul absolutely soaring with joy. :) :) -- I’ve never been so tired and so happy in equal measures.

Glad you had fun. Generally, working in high heat like that, definitely not advised...

US Government Website on High Heat, Precautions, Dangers, more...

https://www.ready.gov/heat

Wow! Wasn't the best day to be out trekking in the heat but obviously you had a very rewarding day in spite of it. I'm happy for you. Just try to be careful and pace yourself as much as possible on those really hot days. Don't want you to pass out for real and get stomped.
Thank you. :)
Yes, on it, lol; I drank two bottles of water while there and one right before getting there.
(I almost asked one of the girls to spray me with the hose too, but didn't. Should have.)

Summer can be deadly for older adults

"In extreme heat, the body must work extra hard to maintain a healthy temperature. Older adults are at higher risk for heat stroke, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and other serious health issues due to poorer circulation and less effective sweating that comes with aging. Medical conditions like heart disease and side effects from various medications can compound these risks, reports Efrem Castillo in the Times of San Diego."

https://healthjournalism.org/blog/2...r that some,to maintain a healthy temperature.​

well, you know, if you are over 70, going to have to get someone else to do that.

Risk is not minor. And that is not a risk of a hard time. It is a risk of death.
I'm 57, but I'd be doing this, and probably will, when I'm over 70. Some things, some passions, are absolutely worth the risk. ♥

I'm 57, but I'd be doing this, and probably will, when I'm over 70. Some things, some passions, are absolutely worth the risk. ♥

Oh, ok...57 is ok.

The reason that clarification is good, is that we don't want to encourage older folks to take those kind of extreme risks.

Hope the horses (and you too) are ok. Take care now.

(my mother was 90 and always pushing to do too much outside. I had to talk to her doctor and get specific instructions. And, of course, even then, mom would not follow them)

Oh, ok...57 is ok.

The reason that clarification is good, is that we don't want to encourage older folks to take those kind of extreme risks.

Hope the horses (and you too) are ok. Take care now.
Yeah, I think you have another, more appropriate, thread about this subject running.
I was really hoping to focus this one on the joy of a love of horses and volunteering in general.
You take care too, Jon. ♥

Summer can be deadly for older adults​

"In extreme heat, the body must work extra hard to maintain a healthy temperature. Older adults are at higher risk for heat stroke, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and other serious health issues due to poorer circulation and less effective sweating that comes with aging. Medical conditions like heart disease and side effects from various medications can compound these risks, reports Efrem Castillo in the Times of San Diego."​

https://healthjournalism.org/blog/2018/07/summer-can-be-deadly-for-older-adults/#:~:text=You may remember that some,to maintain a healthy temperature.​

That explains why I feel so uncomfortable when the weather is hot, but it didn't bother me when I was younger.

If were to think about the thread title & how you feel, then one could imagine you are experiencing heaven on earth.

Back