It’s time for the cataracts to come out.

Pappy,

Try not to worry, let us do that for you!

My mother and stepfather both had them done, one eye at a time, with great results.

How will your date and recovery time work out with your travel back to Florida?

Prayers and healing thoughts to you and the Mrs.

My wife and I have both had this surgery with no problems at all.
Unfortunately for me, I now have a retina issue (film over the retina) that will require another surgery next year.
I only know one person who had trouble and they related it to their attempt to install one of the fancy bifocal lenses. Once they redid the procedure and put in the basic lense they were fine.
My wife elected to get the lenses that correct for astigmatism and she is very happy.

It's a piece of cake these days. I had both done, two weeks apart. You're in and out quickly. A light anesthesia puts you in a sleep-like state for the duration. (I actually woke up shortly during the second eye go-round and could "see" the cataract being "exploded") You come back the next morning to be checked and then maybe a month later for a check. They'll send you home (you have to have a driver) wearing sunglasses and you'll wear a plastic eye patch for the first few nights so you don't accidentally rub your eye. Any blurry vision in the eye will be gone in as little as a day; might take a little longer.

You'll continue your eye drops for a while.

Have you done due diligence on the implants they'll be using? My doctor recommended the multi-focus lens, which would handle both near and far distance and I didn't research them fully. I opted for them (at $2500 per eye over what Medicare paid) and didn't like them. They caused even more glare and night blindness than I had before. In researching after, I found many people were extremely unhappy with them.

My wife and I have both had this surgery with no problems at all.
Unfortunately for me, I now have a retina issue (film over the retina) that will require another surgery next year.
I only know one person who had trouble and they related it to their attempt to install one of the fancy bifocal lenses. Once they redid the procedure and put in the basic lense they were fine.
My wife elected to get the lenses that correct for astigmatism and she is very happy.

"Macular pucker (epiretinal membrane)"? I'm having surgery for that in late October. I'm really nervous about it, considering what they have to do. But I can't stand the distorted vision in my right eye any longer, so I'm finally having the surgery.

I had both of my cataracts done last year, one week apart. As is usual they did the worst eye first although both eyes were getting bad.

After the first one was done I entertained myself by covering my eyes one at a time and looking at the world. I fell in love with trees because I could see the detail of the foliage from a distance. I also loved the brightness and vibrancy of the colours.

I had a regimen of applying one drop from each of 4 bottles four times a day and was a bit anxious about that because I had never been very successful at doing this for myself. I soon learned how to do this although quite often I missed and applied a drop to my cheek.

After the second operation I was a bit worried because things did not seem to go smoothly. Although the operation was apparently successful, my vision was deteriorating. It turns out this was caused by swelling of the tissues and I was prescribed more steroidal drops to clear it up.

Things did settle down and my vision is now stable and much better than before. My distance vision is better than 20:20 and I don't need spectacles to drive a car. I still need them for reading and for computing so I have elected to buy some multifocal spectacles to avoid the problem of always having to search for my glasses. My implants were selected to overcome my lifetime problem with astigmatism.

I have noticed a shift in my colour vision. My brown or fawn slacks can appear more purple or violet in low light. Other than this effect, the world is looking great.

My advice - go for it and follow instructions faithfully. If anything seems amiss, go back to the surgeon ASAP and talk about it.

Sept. 10th and 17th is the set date. A little apprehensive about this but my sight should improve quite a bit. Anyone else have this done?
Pappy, I'll be away camping during your surgeries, and I have no personal experience, but I wish you well and hope your surgeries go smooth for you with good results. Will be thinking of you....hugs.

Pappy,

Try not to worry, let us do that for you!

My mother and stepfather both had them done, one eye at a time, with great results.

How will your date and recovery time work out with your travel back to Florida?

Prayers and healing thoughts to you and the Mrs.

Doc said it will be no problem, as we aren’t leaving until first week in October.

I am not going with any special lens as the extra cost would be $3000. Will go with the regular type of lens. I I have to decide if I want the laser surgery of the regular type. Medicare doesn’t pay the extra cost for laser so I have a while to think about it.
Thanks for all your good wishes and encouragement. So appreciated. My wife will have hers done when we get back to Florida. We help each other with the drops. Like Warri, when I try to do it, it usually ends up on my cheek.

Like Warrigal, I had some macular swelling complications post-surgery. The second round of steroid eye-drops didn't fix it so the ophthalmologist had to use a hypodermic needle to put some of the steroid meds directly into (or perhaps behind) my retina and continue the drops. Within a month all was resolved

I'm happy with the results, having gone in with 20/20 and coming out with the same.

As others have said, follow the doctor's advice to the letter and don't be afraid to go back in if something seems amiss.

"Macular pucker (epiretinal membrane)"? I'm having surgery for that in late October. I'm really nervous about it, considering what they have to do. But I can't stand the distorted vision in my right eye any longer, so I'm finally having the surgery.
I will be very interested in how this goes for you the wife of one of my Wed breakfast buddy's and it worked fine for her.
In my case, I have distortion and it looks like I am looking through a fog with my left eye. My right eye is perfect, but it is still a nuisance, especially when I am reading.
Please let me know how it goes.

I will be very interested in how this goes for you the wife of one of my Wed breakfast buddy's and it worked fine for her.
In my case, I have distortion and it looks like I am looking through a fog with my left eye. My right eye is perfect, but it is still a nuisance, especially when I am reading.
Please let me know how it goes.
In my case, the right eye distorts all straight lines. If I look at a line of print with the right eye, it's extremely wavy. Same thing for all straight lines, horizontal and vertical. What's even worse, is that I see things closer (thus larger) with my right eye. They told me that eventually my left eye would take over, but that never happened. So, I have the constant "conflict" between the right and left eye and the brain doesn't know what to do. It's shot the heck out of my close-up depth perception. And the eye is blurry.

my sis in law in NZ had them done -she said it was all fine -she was nervous at first but there was no reason to be -
little blurred but that wears off in time , nice to see properly again ..

I don't do surgeries if I can find another way. I was told about 20 yrs that I had the start of cataracts and here I am at 81 and doing just fine. What I take for eye supports are:
Grape Seed Extract
Vit C
Lutein with or without bilberry
Crystalline Eye Drops (homeopathic for cataract prevention)
Similasan Eye Drops (homeopathic drops for dry eyes)

That's my cure. j

Back